Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why do bust draft choice autos cost so damn much?

Am I just being cheap or is there something to this? I specialize in football and basketball. Part of my PC includes collecting rookies and autos of hight draft picks who were busts. One of the basketball players that I like to collect their rookies and autos is former Atlanta Hawk point guard Acie Law. I am able to pick up his items pretty cheap. However when I look to pick up rookies and autos of scrub quarterbacks such as Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn and Vince Young the prices are unreasonable IMO. I understand that football especially quarterbacks tend to cost more than basketball but come on $15 dollars for an auto of some guy who can't play? C'mon man.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Vince Young = Can play, may play again.
    Brady Quinn = Still in league, serviceable backup, and he was an Irish QB.
    JaMarcus Russell = Attempting (unlikely) comeback.

That's how I see it anyway, at least with the three you mentioned...all three may yet throw a TD in the NFL. None of them are done playing, and therefore have some (albeit small) upside.
    ** Hidden Content ** Hidden Content
    Help me with 2011 Topps Platinum Green RC refs #/499!! (Have 11/50) **
    ** Hidden Content **

Quote Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
    Am I just being cheap or is there something to this? I specialize in football and basketball. Part of my PC includes collecting rookies and autos of hight draft picks who were busts. One of the basketball players that I like to collect their rookies and autos is former Atlanta Hawk point guard Acie Law. I am able to pick up his items pretty cheap. However when I look to pick up rookies and autos of scrub quarterbacks such as Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn and Vince Young the prices are unreasonable IMO. I understand that football especially quarterbacks tend to cost more than basketball but come on $15 dollars for an auto of some guy who can't play? C'mon man.
    People who are college fans might care about those NFL QBs. College football is probably the #2 or #3 most popular sport in America and it is more popular than the NBA or college basketball. So a person may collect stars from their favorite school and seeing as how all those guys had success in college that might explain the current prices for them.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I doubt cards are selling that high if they are auctions. If you are looking at BIN prices I understand why they haven't sold and are listed at those higher prices. I would wait for auctions go get them cheaper.
    Hidden Content
    Brian Orakpo and Sean Taylor Super Collector!!! Let me know what you have of these two!
    I also collect Lucky 13 Football RCs by Fleer Ultra (04-07 all versions), Texas Longhorns/Miami Hurricanes/Virginia Tech Hokies/Virginia Cavaliers alum RC/GU/AU in college uni. Also like current Redskins and Braves RC/GU/AU (esp Craig Kimbrel), and Roger Federer.

It is because people overpaid for them an are trying to get their money back. They are not looking at how much the cards are worth, but how much they invested in them. Also inflated book prices do not help much.
    Collecting Arizona Cardinals

Quote Originally Posted by yumacardinals View Post
    It is because people overpaid for them an are trying to get their money back. They are not looking at how much the cards are worth, but how much they invested in them. Also inflated book prices do not help much.
    This x 100!!!

People are trying to at least recoup part of their investments. I see people listing Joseph Addai cards at silly prices. He wasn't a bust, but he's insanely overpriced, even now that he's been out of the NFL for over a year. He had a good rookie year and won a Super Bowl and yet, his top end cards are still listed way higher than they should be. They never sell for what people list them for, but you'll still see his Finest Xfractor listed at $50 which is, IMO, outrageous considering how little he did.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-Finest-...item41702d48c5

I don't understand why people think, just because a player did not experience NFL success, that their cards are automatically worthless. That a card /25 or /50 isn't rare enough to warrant a strong price.
    Over 3500 Marinos with 330+ memorabilia cards (98 of which are auto'd)
    Hidden Content
    Marino Most Wanted:
    1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite

Quote Originally Posted by marinocollector View Post
    I don't understand why people think, just because a player did not experience NFL success, that their cards are automatically worthless. That a card /25 or /50 isn't rare enough to warrant a strong price.
    I don't believe I said worthless, but then again you might be referring to a different post.

Honestly I always thought people bought there stuff because of the history behind them. I mean if you can get a gold certified auto of Jamarcus Russell, most people wouldn't want that, but when it first came out, that was one of THE cards that year that everyone was chasing. I may be wrong, I never buy any of their stuff, but sometimes I see a beautiful card and see how much it is going for and always kinda assumed that was one of the reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by 88horsepower View Post
    I don't believe I said worthless, but then again you might be referring to a different post.
    I was addressing the general tone of the "This guys a scrub, why does it sell for so much?" conversations that happen in this hobby. I cannot tell you how many "I am a (insert scrub name) super collector, why would anyone pay $50 for this 1/1 card?" conversations that have been posted on various message boards. Some are even after an auction went high and the item sold. Its a pet peeve. There is more than one type of collector out there, just because one person does not see the value, does not mean someone else will not pay what is needed to own the rare piece.

I wasn't directing the statement at any individual in this thread. If I was, I would have quoted that person.
    Over 3500 Marinos with 330+ memorabilia cards (98 of which are auto'd)
    Hidden Content
    Marino Most Wanted:
    1) 13 UD Nationals Infinite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast