Post High school student called 'freak of nature' by his own coach bench presses 700 lbs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...FL-record.html

A high school football player nicknamed 'freak of nature' by his own coach has blown away Texas weightlifting records by bench pressing 700 pounds.

Matt Poursoltani, 18, has become a national sensation for his incredible feat of strength on Saturday.

The teen from Pilot Point, Texas, stands just 5-foot-11 and weighs 271 pounds - meaning he hoisted more than two and a half times his own body weight.

A YouTube video captured by the Abilene Reporter News at the Texas High School Powerlifting Association state meet has attracted near 1.7million views in just four days.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Watched the video. Admittedly he did press 700 lbs., but his arms are unusually short and he only pressed it like 10 inches. Anybody who lifts knows that short guys with short arms can press a lot more because of their stature. He will never play football at a college or pro level because of his unusually short arms.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

at 5-11 he could be a running back..................maybe
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

I'm not buying it. Those 'pecs' came from antler spray.

fullback. All he's gotta do is hit the first guy he sees.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    Watched the video. Admittedly he did press 700 lbs., but his arms are unusually short and he only pressed it like 10 inches. Anybody who lifts knows that short guys with short arms can press a lot more because of their stature. He will never play football at a college or pro level because of his unusually short arms.

I hear you, but no matter how short your arms are a bench counts as a bench, thats why most pro lifters are pretty short. What caught my eye is that he didn't actually bench the 700 pounds, his arms where actually very wide which is another easier lift that we did in high school lifting. He probably got about 650 pounds up there. Still amazing though!

Quote Originally Posted by boba View Post
    I hear you, but no matter how short your arms are a bench counts as a bench, thats why most pro lifters are pretty short. What caught my eye is that he didn't actually bench the 700 pounds, his arms where actually very wide which is another easier lift that we did in high school lifting. He probably got about 650 pounds up there. Still amazing though!
    Yeah that wide grip allows you to use your back muscles more. I coach wrestling and we have some kids who know some of these tricks to lift heavy weights and try to show off. Then I make them raise the bar cradle back up to it's correct height and make them narrow their grip and suddenly 350 ain't so easy anymore and they need a spot LOL

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."