Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Easter Dinner

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Easter Dinner

As most of you already know Easter is this coming Sunday. My question is why is it that most people celebrate Easter which is the memorial of Jesus (a man who did not eat pork and was very likely a vegetarian) death and resurection by eating swine?
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See shortking98's Items on eBay

That has always confused me as well, my mother always tells people she thinks the tradition is just a way for Christians to stick it to Jews somehow.

On a different note, how do you explain the following passage in the context of Jesus as a vegetarian?
    Luke 24:40-43
    40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Jesus are fish a lot. Everyone in Judea did. Several of the apostles were fishermen. He fed fishes and loaves to the multitudes.
    He was not vegetarian. That's just someone trying to make himself feel good (hi veg!) by claiming it.
    As far as easter dinner, I've never been a huge fan of pork, other than bacon, and my family always has a turkey, not a ham.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think it is more a celebration/rememberance that is important and the idea of it, not what people choose to eat.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

this is pretty cut and dry and veggie no matter how bad you wish/want Jesus to have been a vegetarian, it does not matter, Christianity does not have dietary restrictions.

passover is celebrating the end of creation and abiding the laws of God of the old covenant with the Jews, their laws included dietary restrictions.

Easter is the 1st day of Christianity and the new covenant with all people.

Christ did not eat pork because he had to fulfill the old covenant to begin the new one. there are no dietary restrictions for Christians.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Is it though? At the last supper, Jesus broke bread, said it was his "body" and passed it around saying "keep doing this in remembrance of me." Then he took the wine, called it his blood and passed it around saying "keep doing this in remembrance of me."
    Being that it's totally arguable that the traditional Easter dinner is symbolic of that, and the fact they put a little thought into the placement on the calendar, Easter is actually the closest Christians seem to have gotten with their holidays. It's still a pagan fertility festival and it's named after a pagan god, but it is close.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Here's a little more food for thought for easter:

http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter1.htm

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

this is pretty cut and dry and veggie no matter how bad you wish/want Jesus to have been a vegetarian, it does not matter, Christianity does not have dietary restrictions.

passover is celebrating the end of creation and abiding the laws of God of the old covenant with the Jews, their laws included dietary restrictions.

Easter is the 1st day of Christianity and the new covenant with all people.

Christ did not eat pork because he had to fulfill the old covenant to begin the new one. there are no dietary restrictions for Christians.

Passover is the remembering of the firstborn son plague in Egypt and thanking God for sparing them in his killing or children. Is: God passed over them in his murderous rampage.
    What's that got to do with creation?

SCF Rewards
    Country

we all know the Romans made the Bible and holidays, no big deal. The fact is that easter correlates with passover, which is all that matters.
    there are only 365 days a year and only one spring equinox, so of course holidays will be shared, and which came first does not mean a thing.

SCF Rewards
    Country

it is celebrating the day of rest, which is the end of creation

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast