Post Justin Verlander gets record 7 year $180 million contract extension

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/91...illion-sources

Justin Verlander and the Detroit Tigers have reached agreement on a new contract that could exceed $202 million, sources told ESPN's Buster Olney.

Verlander's deal, which would make him the highest-paid pitcher in the game, is for seven years and worth $180 million, sources said. A vesting option for an eighth year could push the deal to $202 million.

"I love this city & the fans -- couldn't be more excited to spend my career here! We're going to bring a World Series to Detroit!!!" Verlander tweeted.

In February, Felix Hernandez of the Seattle Mariners signed a seven-year contract worth $175 million, the top deal for a pitcher at the time.

Verlander, who would have been eligible to become a free agent after the 2014 season, had recently said he wouldn't discuss a new contract if a deal didn't get done by the end of spring training.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Would be nice if he'd use some of that money to help out the city.
    Interested in Topps base cards

Quote Originally Posted by Mets106 View Post

he does they raise taxes every day now days lol

maybe the city could use the money to make detroit a better place ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mets106 View Post
    He would be better off just flushing the money down the toilet. The city is broken and the people keep voting for the same people who are the cause of the problems. Him giving them more money would be like adding more water to a bucket filled with holes. You aren't going to get anywhere unless you fix the bucket as the water isn't the problem.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I don't believe he pays taxes to the city of Detroit unless he actually lives in city limits....does he actually live in Detroit?
    Interested in Topps base cards