Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Should I consider getting this rookie /10 graded?

Hey everybody, wondering if you guys think I should get this graded. Got this for my PC and from everything I can see it appears to be in superb condition. I just have a few questions...
    How tough is Beckett grading?
    How much does it cost?
    What grades increase value and by how much?
    And finally, is it worth it?

Here's the card-
    6/10- any marks are from one-touch.
    [/IMG]

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

I haven't really dealt with grading in a while honestly, but I think its around $10-$30 depending on what time frame you want it done in. Generally, from my experience anyway, if it's graded 9.0 or higher, it increases the value, if its 8.0-8.5 its about the same, and for newer cards, lower than 8.0 may decrease it. Being out of 10 though, I'm not sure how much it will effect it as it's already rare to begin with. I'd go with Beckett though, they tend to be the hardest graders I think

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Beckett's grading service site would give you an idea on pricing.

If you think the card could pull in a 10 or a 9.5 it would be worth the effort, IMO. Those redemption parallels are very tough to find and can fetch a pretty penny.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (116)
    Country
    See patsfan12's Items on eBay

I'll chime in on the other side of the fence on this one. I really don't see how any grade is likely to increase the value of this card. It won't give significant appeal to set collectors due to the scarcity and for player collectors, usually they are not that concerned about graded or ungraded. The only time grading a card increases the value is rookie cards or vintage.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See railblaze's Items on eBay

Beckett's grading team is fairly tough, but usually not overly so. Most people think more of a Beckett 9.5 than they do of a 10 from other graders.

As RGM said, refer to their website for pricing. There's a number of different options depending on what you want and what kind of turn around time.

As far as increasing value is concerned, it does usually apply more to true RCs and vintage, since a low print run card is typically a "whatever someone will pay for it" kind of situation to begin with. However, I would also argue that if you have a high grade on a low print run card, you can command a premium for it IF you can find the other cards in the print. Not necessarily own them, but if you can prove to someone that your 9.5 is the best of those 10 cards, then you might get more for it. Far more important is that you would be assured that there would be no 'accident' that would damage a rare card like that.

Is it worth it. I've been considering that question myself recently for a pair of /5s I own. If you were considering this for the sole purpose of selling the card, I would probably say no. As a PC item though, it's a very good consideration if you want to pay for it.

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

First I never grade my cards for my collection. The reason is simple, I have been collecting for 44 years and never sold one PC unless I had a double. So grading only would take money out of my pocket since I never sell them. Probably will be buried in them os sell them when I am too old to keep collecting. But to me preserve the current condition is what is most important to me. Most who grade cards, do it because they want to sell them and yes a few still see collecting as a investement and will grade their best cards. But I don;t see collecting as a investement. More a big spending hobby if I llok at all I have spend in 44 years.

But grading a card out of /10 is not worth it if we speak of value. May help sell it, may sell it for a premium but will the poremium be more then you total cost to have it grading. I am with the other that it should stay for RC and vintage.

I know I bought only one graded card and for good reason, I wanted a OPC Ken dryden rookie and got a PSA 8, so I am please with this buy. But most of the time I do not buy graded cards. In a way if you ask a premium you may also loose potential customer like me who simply will not pay a premium to have a graded card. So I would stick to RC and vintage only as then for certain card in can really be worth. I paid double BV for my PSA 8 OPD dryden RC. so this was worth grading that one card since it brought a 300$ premium.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You're the only one that can answer the question "is it worth it?" to grade the card.

I'll give you a different viewpoint from that expressed by "Estovia" above.

If it's going to remain in your PC, then I wouldn't see the use of grading it for resale purposes. It's scarce and already a source of pride in your PC. On the other hand, if you enjoy graded cards and would appreciate the card more in your PC if it commanded a BGS 9.5 grade, then go for it. BUT, beware the old adage: "be careful what you wish for": you may be sorely disappointed with the card if it was to grade (heaven forbid) a BGS 8.5 and that might sour your attitude towards it. I mention this because the only time I had some cards graded was about 15 years ago and I was convinced they'd grade 9.5 or even better (what an optimist)! I certainly felt stupid when they all came back and the best grade was only 9.0. There's one fellow I used to see for many years at card shows and he bought and BGS graded cards for resale purposes. He'd study each card minutely with a magnifying glass to consider its surface, edging, corners, etc...before even considering buying/grading it, since he'd learned to be extremely particular about the smallest detail on each card to better ensure he'd get a BGS 9.5 rating.

On the other hand, if you're planning to eventually part with the card and hope to score big on a resale to another Gagne collector, that might be more reason to have it graded.

Hope this helps you out and good luck with your decision and achieving a BGS 9.5 if that's the route you choose to go.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I haven't really dealt with grading in a while honestly, but I think its around $10-$30 depending on what time frame you want it done in. Generally, from my experience anyway, if it's graded 9.0 or higher, it increases the value, if its 8.0-8.5 its about the same, and for newer cards, lower than 8.0 may decrease it. Being out of 10 though, I'm not sure how much it will effect it as it's already rare to begin with. I'd go with Beckett though, they tend to be the hardest graders I think

Didn't know they had different options...I would want it in the nicer one, well just the regular metal top plastic case...if that's what the nicer one is. I know Beckett graded cards always look better and fetch more then PSA, but it's staying in my pc so I guess price now doesn't matter. For me it's just if it comes out a 9-9.5 I will know it will always stay like that, at least for as long as I have it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Beckett's grading service site would give you an idea on pricing.

If you think the card could pull in a 10 or a 9.5 it would be worth the effort, IMO. Those redemption parallels are very tough to find and can fetch a pretty penny.

At first I would say for sure a 9.5 or 10...but not too sure now. I mean it looks great but I have seen alot of times were people think the grade will be alot higher than it is.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'll chime in on the other side of the fence on this one. I really don't see how any grade is likely to increase the value of this card. It won't give significant appeal to set collectors due to the scarcity and for player collectors, usually they are not that concerned about graded or ungraded. The only time grading a card increases the value is rookie cards or vintage.

Good point as well. Although, i'm not looking to sell, and hopefully not going to for a while. I just love the looks of nice cards with a 9.5-10 grade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast