Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: The smell of cards.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The smell of cards.

Hi,

I've been thinking about why I like cards. I think the biggest part of it is that it has a certain christmas-y feeling to it - ripping into a new pack, not knowing what's waiting for you. The second part is the collecting and organizing. When I was a kid I'd re-order my cards every other week - by number in the set, by team, by player, etc. etc. I still like taking out my cards and just rifling through them and maybe switch it up a bit.

But one thing I hadn't thought about before is that I just like the smell of cards. There's nothing special about it really, but the smell of new cards out of a pack is a very relaxing smell to me. I think it goes back to childhood, when we'd only get a hockey pack once a week, and you really learned to savor it (that's why I hate people opening boxes on youtube that just tear into them).

Anyone else thought about this?

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

This has the potential to get creepy in a hurry.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah - going around with your pockets stuffed with cards so you can use them instead of smelling salts. ^^

Seriously though - I guess that smells are important to me. Other people react to sound or touch and it recalls memories for them. To me, smell has that same effect. And hockey cards have a certain smell that just sends me right back to childhood.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

The old ones smelled like the gum they came with. The new ones don't smell like the old ones tho, they don't smell like anything at all to me :(

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

I love the smell of "gloss" in the morning!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See boofish's Items on eBay

The old ones smelled like the gum they came with. The new ones don't smell like the old ones tho, they don't smell like anything at all to me :(

I once took a chance on a Topps Gretzky rookie on ebay with a BIN of $50, I dunno why, just had a good feeling about it. As soon as I got it, I knew it was legit by the smell, you can't replicate it, that old 'cardboardy' smell. Sure enough, sent it to beckett, Legit-o-rama.

SCF Rewards
    Country

At least they clean the jerseys before they make gu cards. Imagine what a pack would smell like if they didnt. That would also create a whole new meaning of "pack searchers" they would be called "pack sniffers"