Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

North Carolina wants to be EXEMPT from the Constitution and make a state Religion!

So, anyone here still wants to say that the States have not gone utterly insane as of recently?

Anyone still wants to say that the far right wing of Christianity isn't out of control?

Then read this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3003401.html

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Republican North Carolina state legislators have proposed allowing an official state religion in a measure that would declare the state exempt from the Constitution and court rulings.

^WHO WILL STAND UP TO THIS TYRANNY?

These people are in OPEN rebellion against our Constitution....the law of the land!

They are as Anti-American as it can get!

Moderate Christians, don't stay quiet anymore, stand up to this nonsense.

Moderate GOP (if you really do exist), Stand up to this nonsense!
    Last edited by JustAlex; 04-03-2013 at 06:22 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

U.S. Supreme Court case that established the three-pronged test—called “The Lemon Test”— for determining when a state has run afoul of the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause:

The law or state policy must have been adopted with a neutral or non-religious purpose.
    The principle or primary effect must be one that neither advances nor inhibits religion.
    The statute or policy must not result in an “excessive entanglement” of government with religion.

this should say it all

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wait.....if you can post that and you understand what it means, why are we always discussing topics where the state has clearly infringed on the rights of those that want nothing to do with religion?

In other words, why do you sometimes defend laws that clearly go against the "lemon test"?

For example, you have said in the past that you're OK with the teaching of Intelligent Design in schools.

That would go against the Lemon test.

It promotes religion in a place where it shouldn't.

SCF Rewards
    Country

alex, I said it is ok to teach about religion in school, in fact I pointed out Schempp v Abington clearly points out it is ok to teach about religion, but you could not teach religion.

big difference

I don't want to persuade anyone about anything, I just want them to be educated about it, and by education, I mean in a non bias academic setting.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very well, let's teach about religion....all religion.

But not in science class.

You can have an elective class named "religious studies".....I wouldn't mind that.

Of course there are a few conditions.

You can't impose beliefs on the students, and it must only be for historical educational purposes or philosophical matters.

I'm more than OK with that.

But again, you have to stay clear away from science.

SCF Rewards
    Country

all religion without emphasis of one over the other, and offering advanced studies in a particular religion if student so desires, examples; early Christian texts, Mosaic Laws, theory of Yin and Yang, the I Ching, and so on.

You can't impose beliefs on the students, and it must only be for historical educational purposes or philosophical matters.

I agree you should not impose beliefs, but religion is much more than history of philosophy. religious studies can and should also include; linguistics, archeology, anthropology, The Arts, Theology, Mythology, sociology, psychology, and the influence in politics, ethics, and science.

the historical influence and political influence on science, as well as the effects of science on religion is a great subject, and you could always study how science can explain certain aspects of religion.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mugatu471's Items on eBay

all religion without emphasis of one over the other, and offering advanced studies in a particular religion if student so desires, examples; early Christian texts, Mosaic Laws, theory of Yin and Yang, the I Ching, and so on.

I agree you should not impose beliefs, but religion is much more than history of philosophy. religious studies can and should also include; linguistics, archeology, anthropology, The Arts, Theology, Mythology, sociology, psychology, and the influence in politics, ethics, and science.

the historical influence and political influence on science, as well as the effects of science on religion is a great subject, and you could always study how science can explain certain aspects of religion.

Took a mythology class in high school....LOVED it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Any politician who wants to disregard the 1st, 2nd amendment or any of our other constitutional rights to futher his/her own agenda needs to be arrested for treason.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Any politician who wants to disregard the 1st, 2nd amendment or any of our other constitutional rights to futher his/her own agenda needs to be arrested for treason.

So anything that SCOTUS has passed should be left alone because it's their job to rule according to the constitution alone?

Just curious.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

So anything that SCOTUS has passed should be left alone because it's their job to rule according to the constitution alone?

Just curious.

No. The supreme court is not a panel of Gods. The can make incorrect rulings. If they do something that upon futher review is deemed to be contrary to the constitution it can be overturned by the supreme court at a later date. Look at Plessy vs Furguson as an example.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast