Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What tough sets are you working on?

Hey all, I feel like people are far less interested in set building than they used to be but I know some of us are still into it. I was just wondering what sets people are working on right now? How far are you/how's it going etc... For me, I'm working on 2006 Legendary Cuts (just the base and inserts) which is going alright although it seems like no one has any for trade (probably because its a few years old and a mildely obscure set). The other set I'm working on is the 2012 National Treasures Silver (/99) on card Rated Rookie Autos, which is actually going a little faster/easier than I had expected, I'm currently at 12/75 (with 3 more incoming), I'm a little worried about how much I'll have to shell out to get the key cards (Harper, Trout, Darvish etc...) but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it/see one on ebay. Looking forward to hearing about everyone else's set building journeys!
    Looking for 2012 National Treasures on card silver (/99) rated rookie autos, 2006 SP Legendary Cuts inserts/numbered base and most Mets auto/GU.
    Also looking for Celtics Autos/GU and 2012 Totally Certified Gold
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by darkshadowdog123 View Post
    Hey all, I feel like people are far less interested in set building than they used to be but I know some of us are still into it.
    This is 100% true. Outside of stuff like Topps and Topps Heritage there are many other current sets that people put together. Maybe A&G also?

Though it is always interesting to hear what people are working on whether it be sets or player/team collections.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

1951 Topps Blue Backs... a bit of a tough one to find
    Please realize when making offers, that shipping in a bubble mailer isn't free!

I have just about given up trying to put new sets together. With the cost of a box these days, and all of the inserts and parallel cards it' too expensive. I have started working backwards with my set building. My first complete set when I was a kid was 84 Topps. I decided to start the 83 set and go back as far as I can until they get too expensive that way as well.
    Always collecting St. Louis Cardinals; Jim Edmonds; Nolan Ryan
    My Bucket Hidden Content

I have a hard time finding a lot of the smaller 2009 sets- Finest, Goodwin Champions, SP Authentic, UD Icons, and UD X. They're not expensive at all, and I'm pretty close to completing them, but nobody seems to have these anymore, or have any interest in them
    Collector of:
    Twins (9 1/1s), Chris Herrmann (26%), Justin Morneau (just starting),
    Michael Cuddyer (also just starting), baseball sets, Wild, North Stars
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by palantri View Post
    1951 Topps Blue Backs... a bit of a tough one to find
    Love the set! I will look to see if I have any dupes for ya!

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    This is 100% true. Outside of stuff like Topps and Topps Heritage there are many other current sets that people put together. Maybe A&G also?

Though it is always interesting to hear what people are working on whether it be sets or player/team collections.
    I couldn't agree more. Set builders are a dying breed. I love A&G, especially the minis, but I have become quite lazy/broke busting wax to do many sets now. I will buy complete sets on ebay on occasion, but that's no fun at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggs29 View Post
    I have just about given up trying to put new sets together. With the cost of a box these days, and all of the inserts and parallel cards it' too expensive. I have started working backwards with my set building. My first complete set when I was a kid was 84 Topps. I decided to start the 83 set and go back as far as I can until they get too expensive that way as well.
    I am working on a 1983 Topps PSA 10 stars/RCs set, as it is the year of my birth. Good luck with yours!

Other than that, I am working on a 1933 Delong PSA 1 set (only 4 to go!), a 1951 Bowman Baseball set (mostly raw), and I need ONE MORE CARD for my 2010 Topps Magic Pigskin Mini Football /50 set, #136, Brandon Gibson.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content (finally organized!) and Hidden Content
    Current Project: 2013 Golden Age Minis Master Set: 683/750 cards (91.1%)

SCF's Resident BOISE STATE Collector
    Matt Ware & Justin Cobbs Super Collector

2011 and 2012 A&G Minis parallels... of all varieties except the wood variations. It's pretty tough to find people who have/are willing to go through theirs to find your set needs... but yeah, going after a master set of 2011 and 2012 A&G. Autos, relics, minis, base, inserts... it's comprehensive and somewhat exhaustive. But a lofty goal is a good one, right?
    Supercollecting: Bert Blyleven

Follow my Allen and Ginter Obsession here: Hidden Content

(Don't Even Click Here It's So Outdated) Photobucket: Hidden Content

Master sets are pretty time consuming/difficult in general SWOWannabe. I nearly completed one of 2003 Topps Finest way back in the day and I just couldn't find the last couple cards I needed anywhere.
    Looking for 2012 National Treasures on card silver (/99) rated rookie autos, 2006 SP Legendary Cuts inserts/numbered base and most Mets auto/GU.
    Also looking for Celtics Autos/GU and 2012 Totally Certified Gold
    Hidden Content

I built the base set of 2011 Topps Lineage, that set got me back into collecting. After building a few other sets, I decided to go back and try to build sets for all the inserts, mini's, both refractor styles, and all the mini relics. This is getting very expensive for a set seemingly nobody but me liked.

Is anybody building any current season sets? I only ask because nothing is calling to me this year. I might go for 2013 Archives but am undecided. I think I went overboard in 2012 (Topps series 1 w/ all inserts, Gypsy queen w/ sp's and inserts, Heritage w/ sp's and Inserts, and I'm still working on Cooperstown, Chrome, and am 13 away from completing all inserts and sp's of Archives)

right now Im slowly finishing the 2012 gypsy queen, topps heritage, and A&G, for A&G im just doing the regular base, for gypsy queen Im doing all the base, regular back mini's, and regular insert sets, but the Yu Darvish ssp is going to be tough, I should have picked it up during the off season, and the heritage im going to go for all the base, sp's, and possibly the image swaps.
    Looking for- Lakers GU, auto's
    especially Kobe,Pau gasol, Magic Johnson, James Worthy, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Wilt Chaimberlin, Paul Goldschmidt RC year stuff.Certain MMA cards, anything hellboy related.anything the walking dead related
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast