Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rather Upsetting

I think my return to the hobby was in the wrong way. I only returned to get my son involved but I have noticed forums alike really deal just with "big hitters". It is sad that retail is frowned upon so much and the internet has changed the hobby that I feel for the negative.
    I am not sure if I want to continue with, my son, this changed hobby, take another break, or just chalk it up to a loss. I did not know it requires a huge investment just to be considered "trade-worthy" anymore.
    Sorry if this all sounds like a rant. I am just upset over what I have witnessed and discouraged when my son asks why we do not have anything like he sees on the internet.

This is a sad post. I don't think you need a huge investment to be "trade worthy". Looking at your inventory, I see a few serial #'d cards and an auto, these are the things guys should be willing to trade for. Most of what you have (most of what we all have obviously) is commons. Guys aren't going to waste their time trying to figure out a deal for a card that is readily available online or at a card show/store for a nickel or a dime.

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience but I still believe this is a great hobby that can be enjoyed without spending much money at all, but trying to trade on these sites can get frustrating if you don't have a large inventory. A better way to go might be buying inexpensive packs and blaster boxes on special occasions. Like opening day, $10 for i believe 9 or 10 packs. Or if you are lucky enough to have a card shop near you, $10 can go a looong way on singles of a kids favorite player(as long as its not Trout or Harper) in a good shop.

We all don't drive Bentleys, we all can't have superfractors, tobacco cards, and bat knobs. That shouldn't keep you and your son from having fun together with a great hobby.
    Last edited by jayohhessaych; 04-06-2013 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayohhessaych View Post
    We all don't drive Bentleys, we all can't have superfractors, tobacco cards, and bat knobs. That shouldn't keep you and your son from having fun together with a great hobby.
    This.

I'm with jayohhessaych on this one. It is really unfortunate that none of us seem to have anything "trade worthy" on here anymore. I for one hate it. I barely go over to other forums because I've found this forum to be by far the best for the little guys like me who prefer to do trades and build sets and have fun with the hobby. In fact, I'm mostly over on other forums only to participate in the occasional contest. Haven't won anything, so I'm mostly wasting my time, BUT you never know...

That being said, if you and your son want to trade with me let me know what you guys are looking for and I'll see what I've got. Very rarely am I picky about what I get in return.

Which reminds me. Wednesday I was in my LCS with my wife and a fellow came in with an entourage of kids. Couldn't have possibly all been his since they all looked to be roughly the same age, might have been 75% his and maybe a friend or two that came along? I don't know, anyways. The LCS owner is a really nice, great guy who genuinely cares about the hobby and especially the kids, so a lot of times the kids will come in with cards and even if they're a stack of commons he'll go through them and may or may not be interested in trading with the kids for them. Anyways, he offered the kid I think 3 packs of Gypsy Queen for whatever cards the kid had brought in. Kid thought that was a good deal (I didn't see the cards, I suspect they were three Harper rookie cards from 2012... not difficult pulls by any means!) and pulled out his packs. Man was he thrilled in pack 1 when he got a regular Babe Ruth mini parallel. That's awesome. But it gets even more awesome, because in his third pack he pulled a 1/1 printing plate of some guy I had never heard of but apparently his dad has. (If they don't play for the Twins or aren't a stud, I probably have never heard of them... I'm getting better though as I pay attention to lineups for the SCF Diamond Challenge!) The excitement that radiated out from that kid... I tell ya. When the day comes that I have a kid of my own or my wife and I have to adopt, that's what I'm going to focus on. None of this big fancy junk. I never have and simply never will buy a single PACK of cards for $450 or whatever that high-end trash goes for. If I want one of those cards, I'll save up my meager card budget for the month and go for it, but usually I stick with discounted retail blasters. When Allen and Ginter comes out each year I have saved enough for usually two hobby boxes and here's why - I open one right away, and the second one I use for a blog competition called Gint-A-Cuffs. It's an absolute riot and I think everyone should participate. I pretty much have a blog simply for Gint-A-Cuffs.

Oh, I afford these by saving up my Amazon Gift cards that I obtain through various means throughout the year, incase you were wondering. I'll occasionally bust some stuff at my LCS, usually during pack wars now. My wife loves pack wars!

Anyways. Don't take a break, keep it up and teach your son right!
    Supercollecting: Bert Blyleven

Follow my Allen and Ginter Obsession here: Hidden Content

(Don't Even Click Here It's So Outdated) Photobucket: Hidden Content

OPG Baseball Manager

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Well, after raising 4 kids there is one thing I know for a certainty, their interests change. Both of my boys, who are now 20 & 18 used to love collecting cards & memorabilia of their favorite players, but neither one of them have even looked at their cards for 6-7 years now. I doubt that either one even remember that they have collections. One day, they may want to get back into it & if that day comes, they will still have their collections that I put back for them. If not, they will at least find them when they go through everything when I pass away.

Pretty much everyone that has kids has to be on a budget, & hobbies are the last thing on the priority list when it comes to spending your money on something. If you truly enjoy this hobby as just a hobby & want to stay in it then I recommend you set a focus to your collecting & stick with it. If you do that & get excited about every little piece no matter what it is worth & show your son that you are excited about it, then he may get that way as well.

As far as the internet having a negative impact on the hobby, I would have to strongly disagree. It all depends on how you use it. In February, I received one of the best additions to my PC for free because of the internet & my perseverance.

SuperCollecting 3 generations of Yastrzemski's!
    Hidden Content
    Carl: 555/3390 not including 1/1's (16.4%), Mike: 8/8 (100%), Michael: 9/19 (47.4%)
    Always looking for any memorabilia that I don't have to add to my PC!
    WANTLIST--->Hidden Content

I believe the nearest LCS is about 1.5 hours from me.

Quote Originally Posted by yazfan71 View Post
    Well, after raising 4 kids there is one thing I know for a certainty, their interests change. Both of my boys, who are now 20 & 18 used to love collecting cards & memorabilia of their favorite players, but neither one of them have even looked at their cards for 6-7 years now. I doubt that either one even remember that they have collections. One day, they may want to get back into it & if that day comes, they will still have their collections that I put back for them. If not, they will at least find them when they go through everything when I pass away.
    I'll tell you what, this struck a chord with me. My father passed away a few weeks ago and I've spent a lot of time thinking and reflecting, and one of the things that brings smiles to my face is thinking of the times he brought me home cello packs of 1991 Topps or took me to the Card Shop. I remember one birthday in 1992, I had pink eye and couldn't go to school. My dad stayed home with me and I had two present that year - one was an impressve LEGO set, and the other was a few cello packs of Topps. He maybe spent an hour on the phone that day, but the rest of it we spent building parts of the LEGO set (it was one of those city models, so there was a ship and a crane and a boat and a truck and each had their own set of instructions) and going through those cards and putting the Twins away in my binder. Probably the best birthday ever.

And yes, kids' interests change, as do adults'! The good news is I know at least 1 friend of mine whom we both got back into collecting cards in recent years. I'm 27, and prior to starting back up I probably hadn't looked at my collectiong in... 12, 13 years? I don't have much in the way of impressive things from my collecting youth, partly because I took fairly poor care of them, and they were 90's cards that weren't worth much to begin with. But, I did find a ticket stub to the 1991 World Series Game 6 amongst my cards. I've got that in a baggie and a pair of toploaders now. I want to get that along with a Puckett rookie card framed alongside a picture of Puckett pumping his fist to put up on my man cave wall. Or office wall. Just a cool little thing that I really can appreciate and am glad my parents didn't throw my stuff out like so many seem to do! So yazfan, keep up the good work, I'm sure your sons will come around. I certainly hope it's before you pass away, because that really sucks.

OPG Baseball Manager

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by 1996BravesFan View Post
    I believe the nearest LCS is about 1.5 hours from me.
    All the more reason that the internet can become your greatest asset in helping to build your collection!

Quote Originally Posted by SWOWannabe View Post
    I'll tell you what, this struck a chord with me. My father passed away a few weeks ago and I've spent a lot of time thinking and reflecting, and one of the things that brings smiles to my face is thinking of the times he brought me home cello packs of 1991 Topps or took me to the Card Shop. I remember one birthday in 1992, I had pink eye and couldn't go to school. My dad stayed home with me and I had two present that year - one was an impressve LEGO set, and the other was a few cello packs of Topps. He maybe spent an hour on the phone that day, but the rest of it we spent building parts of the LEGO set (it was one of those city models, so there was a ship and a crane and a boat and a truck and each had their own set of instructions) and going through those cards and putting the Twins away in my binder. Probably the best birthday ever.

And yes, kids' interests change, as do adults'! The good news is I know at least 1 friend of mine whom we both got back into collecting cards in recent years. I'm 27, and prior to starting back up I probably hadn't looked at my collectiong in... 12, 13 years? I don't have much in the way of impressive things from my collecting youth, partly because I took fairly poor care of them, and they were 90's cards that weren't worth much to begin with. But, I did find a ticket stub to the 1991 World Series Game 6 amongst my cards. I've got that in a baggie and a pair of toploaders now. I want to get that along with a Puckett rookie card framed alongside a picture of Puckett pumping his fist to put up on my man cave wall. Or office wall. Just a cool little thing that I really can appreciate and am glad my parents didn't throw my stuff out like so many seem to do! So yazfan, keep up the good work, I'm sure your sons will come around. I certainly hope it's before you pass away, because that really sucks.
    Hey SWOW, Sorry about the loss of your father bud. And I totally agree that adults interests change as well. I've gone through my fair share of hobbies over the years & I'm just grateful that I have the mindset of a packrat that my grandfather instilled in me, or I'd have been starting from scratch when I got back into this hobby in 2011. I know that I've lost more pieces to my collection than I care to even imagine, but the core of it, my focus, has for the most part remained intact. As far as you say your collection wasn't worth much to begin with, it obviously is to you! I love the idea of having your ticket framed along with a card & photo from that game! I did the same thing for my oldest when he went to his first Colts game! We went a little bigger on the frame & even put in his Colts shirt that he was wearing in the picture of him with the field in the background. I wish I'd have had something like that done for my first game, I'd proudly put that up in my man cave if I ever get one!
    SuperCollecting 3 generations of Yastrzemski's!
    Hidden Content
    Carl: 555/3390 not including 1/1's (16.4%), Mike: 8/8 (100%), Michael: 9/19 (47.4%)
    Always looking for any memorabilia that I don't have to add to my PC!
    WANTLIST--->Hidden Content

Hang in there, I for one collect anything of Hakeem Nicks and am in no way opposed to a trade for a single base card. If it's something I need I will search through my boxes to find something for the person I am trading with. It can get very frustrating sometimes when you can't work a deal especially when you get so used to getting cards in the mail everyday for it to just come to an abrupt stop. I hope you can still manage to find a way to enjoy the hobby with your son and that you don't give up just yet!
    Looking for any and all New York Giants!
    Hidden Content
    Thanks, Russ

Quote Originally Posted by metsfan6986 View Post
    Hang in there, I for one collect anything of Hakeem Nicks and am in no way opposed to a trade for a single base card. If it's something I need I will search through my boxes to find something for the person I am trading with. It can get very frustrating sometimes when you can't work a deal especially when you get so used to getting cards in the mail everyday for it to just come to an abrupt stop. I hope you can still manage to find a way to enjoy the hobby with your son and that you don't give up just yet!
    This too! I have no objections trading GU or autos for base/inserts/minis that I need for my sets. The problem being that I'm not made out of GU's or autos, so it can be slim pickings and nobody wants a Yiovanni Gallardo relic, who just so happens to be the guy that I pull with more frequency than anyone else. I probably have a supercollection of him without even trying.

@yazfan, thanks. Managing to keep my head above water, finishing up my last work shift here for almost two weeks (minus the week and a half business trip... but that's practically a vacation compared to these 12 hour overnight shifts!) so I know that I'll always miss my dad, the grief and pain will subside for the most part eventually.

Just reading everybody's posts here, and I agree with alot of what's being said as far as sticking with the hobby. Bravesfan, the hobby has changed over the years. There's no doubt on that. The internet has made it good and bad in different respects. The internet and forums like this help bring the collecting community together as whole. It's made the access of finding people with the same interested easier to meet. That being said. there are those who are for lack of a better term "snobs" in the hobby who won't even consider trading with you unless you have an autographed Gamed-Used Quaddruple color patch card that's numbered 1 of 1 and they're only going to trade a low end game used card in return for it.

I've been back in trading for a few years now, and yes there are those as you called them big hitters or as I call them snobs that make the hobby somewhat unpleasant at times. I like to think and feel though that there are more people out there like myself who collect for fun, and no trade is too small to make. I'd rather make a small deal and enjoy the hobby and getting to know people from different places that be a collecting snob and rarely trade or have fun doing it.
    As jayohhessaych said not all of us drive Bentleys. Just try to enjoy the hobby with your kid. Don't let those few snobs push you away from collecting with your son.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast