Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Anyone else have an issue with this?

Everyone,
    I was updating my inventory for Mario's and noticed that he now has 3 more rookie cards!!! For some reason when the ITG History cards were pulled in, they listed them as RC. That to me in wrong, serial numbered buybacks, sure. Is not the definition of RC then broken by being re-issued? Just because a company encases a card, does not make it a rookie for 2012-13 only 27 years after the fact.

Here is the link for all to see:

http://opg.sportscardforum.com/scf/i...tid/2/rookie/1

Would like an explanation....

Thad

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Those ITG buy backs are Rookie Cards, why would you call them anything else?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I understand the point that PenguinChief is making. Mario Lemieux has 2 rookie cards, not 5. I also understand what 30Ranfordfan is saying that these ITG cards are in fact rookie cards because what else would they be. However, this creates a dilemma within the inventory system, because it makes it appear as though you don't have all of the rookie cards of a particular player, when in fact you do, minus the ITG buybacks. Maybe the rookie card designation should not be included for these buybacks. The set name is "ITG History of Hockey Buyback Rookies", so it is implied in the name that these cards are rookies.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I also understand the confusion. I asked, a couple weeks ago, if there was anything about the ITG buyback RCs that would differentiate them from the original release RC. The consensus was the ITG slab was the only "difference" between the two.
    '
    Listing the ITG buyback is a good way to let people know that RCs can be found in that "product", and they are true RCs, but it still remains that the card is an 85-86 Topps (or OPC) RC, not an ITG RC.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yeah, I guess.

I mean - if that's what you're hung up on.... suddenly Lemieux now has 5 distinct RCs, and that throws off your percentages / completeness of a collection.

I say that's a bunch of hogwash.

Lemieux has 2 Rookies cards (OPC & Topps). You've got one, none, or both of them.

ITG Has done buybacks of these RCs, and inserted into new packs.

They are rookies, of course, becuase they are the same cards that were released in 1985. Only difference is they've been slabbed. History of Hockey is a very unique set (regardless of how much you like it). I think its unique enough that you have to list those cards in any sort of DB like the SCF Inventory, and they have to have the RC designation - that slab didn't change the fact those are RCs.

I just don't see this as a "Lemiuex now has more RCs" kind of thing. He's got RCs that are available as part of ITG's history of hockey. That's it.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

He only has 2 Rookies. People are constantly becoming victims of marketing, that's all it is in this case.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Yes, they're rookie cards because what else would they be, but they're not brand-new rookie card category rookie cards because they're just slabbed up by ITG.........

If they ARE a brand-new category then I do believe I will be starting up FredGarvinCards (TM) and this will be my flagship product, a 1/1 Mario RC because I done slabbed it up and it's different from allllll the rest, right?

First person to tell me who Fred Garvin is wins a prize! Happy Monday!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders Saskatchewan Roughriders
    See goose97's Items on eBay

I too had the same thoughts especially with my Palffy's. I managed to pick up His ITG Buyback /6 and input it in the inventory, and when I saw the stats there was the additional card listed. Fortunately with that I'm at 100%, but at the same time there are two other cards that are listed as RC with Palffy, but as dual jersey cards with the other player being the rookie.

Palffy only has four true rookies, but in the inventory he has seven.....

The dilemma with the buyback as it being a Rookie. It is a Rookie card of course. It's not a reprint or reproduction. It is the in fact card listed as the original Rookie. It only has been slabbed, and stated as a buyback by ITG. Technically the only difference is the slab. So with that I say the slab becomes the actual card. Seeing that the slab is a post production makes it NOT become the rookie card. However put them together, and now you have to figure out how to classify them....

Welcome to the quandary of the day.
    Searching for: Jagr, Palffy, Stumpel, and Boyd
    ***Doing some massive updating. Please be patient!***
    My new trade page is almost complete. My player want lists, and PC is still under construction. It's progress is here:
    Hidden Content
    For Easy Trading use the SCF Inventory Manager! It is Fully Up to Date!!!
    Search my inventory on SCF here:
    Hidden Content
    Also Looking for any CFL Saskatchewan Roughriders Cards!!

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

Stats is a added bonus to the inventory but it will never serve us as a guide on how member perceive the stats to flag the card main database. RC buyback are true rookie but also buyback. We will never set card or set attribute base on how member perceive the stats part of the inventory.

Eventually when we are done setting card type and this project just started and we need to set all existing set first, then maybe I can code exclusion for player stats. The goal of the database of all cards is to get all the cards collector collect and these are part of it and remain true rookie slab or not. So player stats will never be a reason to change how we flag cards.

Note that to each member, they will have different definition of how they like to see their stats just so they can have a higher percentage. To me this is not important as far as the card database is concerned. If everyone would be on the same page it would be easy but when it come to stats no one agree on how it should be. This is why we do not yake these opionion in consideration but ask ourself if the card fit the rookie definition and these do fit it even if slab.

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

I too had the same thoughts especially with my Palffy's. I managed to pick up His ITG Buyback /6 and input it in the inventory, and when I saw the stats there was the additional card listed. Fortunately with that I'm at 100%, but at the same time there are two other cards that are listed as RC with Palffy, but as dual jersey cards with the other player being the rookie.

Palffy only has four true rookies, but in the inventory he has seven.....

The dilemma with the buyback as it being a Rookie. It is a Rookie card of course. It's not a reprint or reproduction. It is the in fact card listed as the original Rookie. It only has been slabbed, and stated as a buyback by ITG. Technically the only difference is the slab. So with that I say the slab becomes the actual card. Seeing that the slab is a post production makes it NOT become the rookie card. However put them together, and now you have to figure out how to classify them....

Welcome to the quandary of the day.

Manufacturer to strange things at time and not really helping us as they try everything possible to boost their product. We can only apply our definition and not much we can do if manufactuer made dual card and the card is consider their rookie. Wish they never did that but I did see this in earlier release in early 2000. The good thing is they have not repeated this after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast