Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Why can't you ask where they went to college?

It may point to race or specific cultural identity, that's why. Most employers see where the interviewee attended University because that information is available on their CV, or on their Resume.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

It may point to race or specific cultural identity, that's why. Most employers see where the interviewee attended University because that information is available on their CV, or on their Resume.

So can they ask previous job history? That could point to race and culture as well.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I vaguely remember accusations of higher end employers favouring certain schools when the general rule is a diploma is a diploma is a diploma.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

In the career interview process in Canada, you can ask the candidate to expand on the the nature of their work at a previous position outlined by their resume or CV.

You cannot say, oh I see here that you worked at Singh's Grocery Store, is that the one across the street from the Hindu Temple on Broadway?

That is a no-no. You catch my drift? I know it appears petty, but that is the law.

You almost have to be a Lawyer in Canada to conduct an interview in the manner in which the law protects the candidate.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I vaguely remember accusations of higher end employers favouring certain schools when the general rule is a diploma is a diploma is a diploma.

But not all colleges are the same. Where I went (Iowa State University) is known for it's college of agriculture. If I went to the University of Iowa, known for it's college of medicine, and tried to get a job in ag, they would probably put my resume to the bottom unless I had a background in ag.

SCF Rewards
    Country

In the career interview process in Canada, you can ask the candidate to expand on the the nature of their work at a previous position outlined by their resume or CV.

You cannot say, oh I see here that you worked at Singh's Grocery Store, is that the one across the street from the Hindu Temple on Broadway?

That is a no-no. You catch my drift? I know it appears petty, but that is the law.

You almost have to be a Lawyer in Canada to conduct an interview in the manner in which the law protects the candidate.

I get that, it's basically the same in the States.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

But not all colleges are the same. Where I went (Iowa State University) is known for it's college of agriculture. If I went to the University of Iowa, known for it's college of medicine, and tried to get a job in ag, they would probably put my resume to the bottom unless I had a background in ag.

That wasn't the issue. It was people hiring only from their alma matter and such. Ultimately, if you went to an agricultural job and didn't list your college which is the top in the field, you should probably put it on your resume. It will look good. However, if you have the same degree from a different college, maybe not. That degree is supposed to mean the same thing as any other. You can come out and say where you went to school, but he can't ask.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That wasn't the issue. It was people hiring only from their alma matter and such. Ultimately, if you went to an agricultural job and didn't list your college which is the top in the field, you should probably put it on your resume. It will look good. However, if you have the same degree from a different college, maybe not. That degree is supposed to mean the same thing as any other. You can come out and say where you went to school, but he can't ask.

Yeah...I know when I was visiting ISU I had a friend in a frat and he already had a job lined up with a major company as a junior because the guy who interviewed him was in that same fraternity years ago. You probably haven't seen the commercial, but the University of Phoenix has an ad where a guy in a waiting room has red socks on and everyone else has black and when he goes into the interview the interviewer had red socks as well. So they were coming out and saying that if you went to that university and get interviewed by an alumni you will get hired.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Yeah...I know when I was visiting ISU I had a friend in a frat and he already had a job lined up with a major company as a junior because the guy who interviewed him was in that same fraternity years ago. You probably haven't seen the commercial, but the University of Phoenix has an ad where a guy in a waiting room has red socks on and everyone else has black and when he goes into the interview the interviewer had red socks as well. So they were coming out and saying that if you went to that university and get interviewed by an alumni you will get hired.

exactly. It undermines the very idea of higher education and instead perpetuates pseudo nepotism.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I can't imagine why what university you went to would not be a relevant factor. If I were on trial for murder and had to choose between a lawyer that graduated from Harvard or a lawyer that graduated from University of Phoenix Online, my choice would be easy.

My son was shown interest by West Point (and passed it up like a moron). I wanted him to go there for one simple reason. Getting a degree from West Point shows you have strong character and a good work ethic. You naturally would have a leg up because the difficulty in completing a degree there is greater than other colleges. The idea that someone who graduated from West Point would be considered on the same level as someone with a matching degree from a community college is kind of a joke.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast