Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 68

Thread: Question.

  1. #41
    I myself don't have an issue with voter ids but do understand that it then requires a person to spend money to be able to vote. I'm not sure what ID cost, but I think a drivers license if around $7 here in Indiana at least the last time I got mine renewed. I assume a standard ID would be about the same. For me $7 is no issue, but realize that it is for others. Not that we need more programs attached to tax dollars but seems like if voting fraud is in fact a huge issue it would be worth providing these IDs to people who can't afford them.

    There are about 40% of americans that don't vote currently. I'd be curious to know how many people vote now that do not have an ID of some sort.
    Check out my NEW FaceBook Fan page of my abstract painting and graphic design work!!!
    Hidden Content

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Star_Cards View Post
    I myself don't have an issue with voter ids but do understand that it then requires a person to spend money to be able to vote. I'm not sure what ID cost, but I think a drivers license if around $7 here in Indiana at least the last time I got mine renewed. I assume a standard ID would be about the same. For me $7 is no issue, but realize that it is for others. Not that we need more programs attached to tax dollars but seems like if voting fraud is in fact a huge issue it would be worth providing these IDs to people who can't afford them.

    There are about 40% of americans that don't vote currently. I'd be curious to know how many people vote now that do not have an ID of some sort.
    I have no issue with providing IDs to people who actually can't afford them. However, living in a state with one of the highest poverty rates in the country, I see my fair share of people who are "too poor to afford" lots of stuff having no problem affording their Marlboros, Skoal and Old Milwaukee.

    I would be surprised that there are any people who currently vote that have no form of photo ID (except for the illegal aliens). Photo ID is required for virtually everything these days. The idea that people are functioning on a daily basis in society with no proof of ID is ridiculous to me. I might be wrong, but I find it hard to believe that you can even get welfare without photo ID and I know you can't open a bank account or cash a check at one of those check cashing places without photo ID.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    I have no issue with providing IDs to people who actually can't afford them. However, living in a state with one of the highest poverty rates in the country, I see my fair share of people who are "too poor to afford" lots of stuff having no problem affording their Marlboros, Skoal and Old Milwaukee.

    I would be surprised that there are any people who currently vote that have no form of photo ID (except for the illegal aliens). Photo ID is required for virtually everything these days. The idea that people are functioning on a daily basis in society with no proof of ID is ridiculous to me. I might be wrong, but I find it hard to believe that you can even get welfare without photo ID and I know you can't open a bank account or cash a check at one of those check cashing places without photo ID.
    You are missing the point. It dosen't matter if you can afford one or not. Even a state ID card costs a penny you still have to pay the state for it which is a round about way of implimenting a poll tax which violates the 24th amendment.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  4. #44
    No I get the point, I just don't think it is a valid one. Anybody who lives in this country legally needs a photo ID to conduct day to day life activities, so the idea that we have millions of people who will be disenfranchised by a voter ID law is just ridiculous. The only people who would not want to have to present photo ID are illegals, criminals and people who are voting more than one time. There is not a single other logical reason to not want to provide proof that you are who you say you are.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    No I get the point, I just don't think it is a valid one. Anybody who lives in this country legally needs a photo ID to conduct day to day life activities, so the idea that we have millions of people who will be disenfranchised by a voter ID law is just ridiculous. The only people who would not want to have to present photo ID are illegals, criminals and people who are voting more than one time. There is not a single other logical reason to not want to provide proof that you are who you say you are.
    Believe it or not there was a time in my life where I did not have a state id. I was born and raised in the US but did not posess an ID. I actually went about my day to day activities just fine I might add. I'm sure there are plenty of others like me.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
    Believe it or not there was a time in my life where I did not have a state id. I was born and raised in the US but did not posess an ID. I actually went about my day to day activities just fine I might add. I'm sure there are plenty of others like me.
    When was this? Before or after you turned 18?

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."


  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    When was this? Before or after you turned 18?

    I was in my 20s.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by duane1969 View Post
    I have no issue with providing IDs to people who actually can't afford them. However, living in a state with one of the highest poverty rates in the country, I see my fair share of people who are "too poor to afford" lots of stuff having no problem affording their Marlboros, Skoal and Old Milwaukee.

    I would be surprised that there are any people who currently vote that have no form of photo ID (except for the illegal aliens). Photo ID is required for virtually everything these days. The idea that people are functioning on a daily basis in society with no proof of ID is ridiculous to me. I might be wrong, but I find it hard to believe that you can even get welfare without photo ID and I know you can't open a bank account or cash a check at one of those check cashing places without photo ID.
    agreed. there would definitely be the issue of who would be provided this service of free IDs. Although it would be more limited than the wellfare issues since they wouldn't have to give free IDs to people on a regular basis.

    I also agree that most people who vote more than likely have a proper form of ID. I find it odd that people can function without some sort of photo ID. It's used in so many facets of life it would be hard to do a lot of things without one.
    Check out my NEW FaceBook Fan page of my abstract painting and graphic design work!!!
    Hidden Content

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by mrveggieman View Post
    You are missing the point. It dosen't matter if you can afford one or not. Even a state ID card costs a penny you still have to pay the state for it which is a round about way of implimenting a poll tax which violates the 24th amendment.
    so what if state IDs were free to people who didn't have the 7 bucks?

    doesn't it technically cost every person who goes to the polls to vote? My voting poll is about 3-4 miles away from my house so it technically cost me something to drive to the polls. I'd think that some expense is just part of the process. Having an id or something to verify your identity seems reasonable. Maybe there are other items that can be used. Social Security card, bill of some sort, etc.
    Check out my NEW FaceBook Fan page of my abstract painting and graphic design work!!!
    Hidden Content

  10. #50
    found this link that lists each state and their state ID fees.

    http://www.thepiratescove.us/2008/04...state-id-cost/
    Check out my NEW FaceBook Fan page of my abstract painting and graphic design work!!!
    Hidden Content

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •