Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Card collecting blues

Back in the day, back in the 70's, i began collecting football cards. Back then it was a real treat when the new TOPPS wax packs would be available around june or july. Then it was looking to see who you got in your pack. Well those were the days when you truely traded either cards for the team you liked, or specific players. And you only got one card per year of your favorite player.. Then in 1989 Topps had competition with cards made by a new company called Pro Set. Score also broke out in 1989 with their own football set. And this was exciting because now you had more cards of your favorite team, and more cards of a favorite player. And around 1991 More and more different card companies were on the market, then you began seeing sub sets of these card companies, and it was going way out of control to keep up with. My collecting interest stopped back in 1995. I was faithfull to getting Topps base cards, because that's who i began my collecting with. By the mid 90's cards began getting more & more detailed and with more graphic designs on the front & backs of cards.
    Personally, these cards turned me off and it took away the photo of the player and shown more on special effects graphics. And today there is just way too many cards being produced with different color borders, and it just ruined my hobby of collecting. I still collect only TOPPS base set cards of some teams and very few individual players. For those younger collectors of today, you have no idea how good you have it when it comes to collecting your favorite players of today. Each year you can collect approx. 20 or more different single cards of just one player and then still need more with chrome cards and these special effect cards of that player.
    30 years ago, a collector was happy to open a pack of cards with about 10 - 15 cards per pack for .50 cents. Today, a pack of 5 cards could cost you $2.00 or more. I know it's all about competition with all these newer card companies, but the need to ptroduce the same cards with different color borders, and mini- sets , and on and on. Its just depressing and hard to keep up with. Have you taken the time to see how many card sets TOPPS has each year now?
    I was happy to see Score & Pro Set make cards back in 1989 but 1993 Pro Set folded because of over producing and went under. I still have cards from back in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Not so many since then.
    Iam not bitter, just wish things could be like it used to be. All these sets are really not needed.

I agree and dont agree.

That would be like asking why there are so many different cars made from the little ones all the way up to the super fast and or behemoth type. There is a market for them and even to a point people collect them.

The wonderful thing about card collecting (or anything for that matter) is you dont have to catch them all. You can tailor your hobby the way you want to.

However it does make it difficult in collecting new players especially if your goal is to get them all.

The thing to remember is to base your habits around what you are comfortable with and what makes you happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Football Advisor

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Hey!! Moving This To Ftball Card Talk Forum.

Thanks, John

lol yeah i loved busting packs back in the day for a quarter trying to get that rookie card i wanted. i go to the card shop now and drop 100 bucks and am lucky to see a cruddy auto of someone i could care less about. thanks god for blasters, get my fix and don't drop 100 bucks just 20
    Please use a blank to cover any jersey window while shipping. I collect Topps chrome and contenders autos and HOF autos.

"If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything."
    Let one walk alone, committing no sin, with few wishes and no qualms.

I was heavy into collecting cards in the late 80s and early 90s. I loved it back then, since I was a kid and it was my first real form of commerce. I used to love buying Becketts every month and watching the stock of my cards rise and fall. It was a great hobby that I shared with my friends (Just had a flashback of busting packs to chase down the Bo Jackson multi sport black and white card). At some point I stopped collecting and moved on to other things. About 6 years ago I bought a Beckett to check the values of my cards and they were pretty much all worthless. That was a big disappointment considering how much money I spent putting my collection together. I really like the fact that companies limit their production now. I also like the grading systems they have in place because it ensures that you have a much more unique, rare piece, which also helps it retain value. Just got back in to collecting cards again and I'm really enjoying it.
    Last edited by Earth2Mike2013; 04-12-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth2Mike2013 View Post
    I was heavy into collecting cards in the late 80s and early 90s. I loved it back then, since I was a kid and it was my first real form of commerce. I used to love buying Becketts every month and watching the stock of my cards rise and fall. It was a great hobby that I shared with my friends (Just had a flashback of busting packs to chase down the Bo Jackson multi sport black and white card). At some point I stopped collecting and moved on to other things. About 6 years ago I bought a Beckett to check the values of my cards and they were pretty much all worthless. That was a big disappointment considering how much money I spent putting my collection together. I really like the fact that companies limit their production now. I also like the grading systems they have in place because it ensures that you have a much more unique, rare piece, which also helps it retain value. Just got back in to collecting cards again and I'm really enjoying it.
    I am in the same boat as you, and the OP, and I still have no urge to buy anything other than the base cards. I will branch out into Topps Chrome cause I think they are cool looking, but I don't even want to begin to try to keep up with all fo the "for profit" craziness.

In my world, it is still "like it was", just with some better base product. Give me set building and Player Collecting any day!
    Hidden Content <- my wants
    most anything I have more than 1 of in my SCF inventory is FT...PM me for info
    Always looking to add to these team collections: Toronto Maple Leafs; Pittsburgh Steelers; Cincinnati Reds; Notre Dame; Team Sweden Hockey

The thing is more options shouldn't lessen your enjoyment of the hobby. If you don't like it just move on and not buy it. Find something that you like and just focus on that. The world won't fall apart if you only focus on one set and not care for the others. Keeping up with all the sets would be like watching every movie that comes out. Nobody does that they just watch what they like.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

i am right with you
    I stopped about 1992

I still have stuff back to 1950's

more so 1976-1992
    some before some after.

send me a detailed list or general, player teams and sets.

thanks
    angler1962@hotmail.com
    I will send info

I am also new to site. i tend to send to much info on these boards. so email is better for me
    thanks

I started collecting football cards in 1974 when I was 7 years old. Topps had a 528 card set back then and a pack was fifteen cents and a cello pack was twenty five cents. If I had an extra Staubach card as an example, an my buddy had a player you never heard of, but I needed, I would trade the Staubach, as he needed it, for the no name player I needed. It was so simple back then. You would mark on the checklist who you had, etc. Rubber band the cards, carry them in your pocket. I still collect Topps today as I still like putting together a set, my wife does as well, but what I hate is that now it is a 440 card set, some players have TWO card, regular and Pro Bowl, and rookie cards now are players who were just drafted and NEVER played a down in the NFL yet. To me that is just wrong, but I'm probably in the minority on that. I really dig Topps FB from 1970-1985. Also some 1954 Bowman FB.

I like 1970 - 1987 topps fb

send any lists
    also hockey same. I have more also

I am still organizing 250,000 cards

look at my profile and email me

angler1962@hotmail.com

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast