Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1

    Post Blast from the past MLB top 10 list from Sports Card Magazine September 1997



    An appearance by Dave Justice on the top ten list! Also the blurb about Dave Winfield that is cut off mentions that his rookie card peaked at $200 a few years back and has now fallen to where you are able to pick it up for just $125....
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

  2. #2
    pwaldo I've been waiting! Awesome!

    Just curious, do you have this magazine intact? :)
    Stuck in the 90s, I collect all things and everything Hidden Content .
    Hidden Content


  3. #3
    Interesting find, thanks for posting it.

    When did the great deflation of prices for cards from the "junk wax era" occur? I got out of collecting in the early 90's and didn't come back until 2011, and at the time I left the hobby, my 80's cards were still worth something. Did the deflation happen over a few years, or was it pretty sudden?

    Thanks to anyone who can answer this, I've been curious about it since I came back.
    Hidden Content
    Always Buying and Trading for BGS/BVG Graded Cards of:
    Roberto Clemente - Ichiro - Cal Ripken - Nolan Ryan - Mike Trout

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealSOC View Post
    pwaldo I've been waiting! Awesome!

    Just curious, do you have this magazine intact? :)
    Yeah all the magazines I've scanned I still have. Just never scanned the ones I've thrown away over the years though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard7 View Post
    Interesting find, thanks for posting it.

    When did the great deflation of prices for cards from the "junk wax era" occur? I got out of collecting in the early 90's and didn't come back until 2011, and at the time I left the hobby, my 80's cards were still worth something. Did the deflation happen over a few years, or was it pretty sudden?

    Thanks to anyone who can answer this, I've been curious about it since I came back.
    I would take an educated guess as to when the Internet/eBay took over for the card market. Card shops and card shows really controlled the market and limited the ways you could buy stuff. Yeah you could buy stuff through the mail with catalogs and magazines but it wasn't the same thing. The digital age really did a number on cards that weren't really in demand because it exposed how many cards were really made and how few people actually cared for them as something other than an investment.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    I would take an educated guess as to when the Internet/eBay took over for the card market. Card shops and card shows really controlled the market and limited the ways you could buy stuff. Yeah you could buy stuff through the mail with catalogs and magazines but it wasn't the same thing. The digital age really did a number on cards that weren't really in demand because it exposed how many cards were really made and how few people actually cared for them as something other than an investment.
    Thanks for the response. It had not occurred to me that the Internet was a major factor in the devaluation, but it makes perfect sense. You're right, before that you had to go to card shows, card shops or buy through the mail to get cards, there was no central clearing house where supply and demand could be checked like eBay.
    Hidden Content
    Always Buying and Trading for BGS/BVG Graded Cards of:
    Roberto Clemente - Ichiro - Cal Ripken - Nolan Ryan - Mike Trout

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •