Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Tapouttazz9's Items on eBay

Fake or not fake !!!!!!!!!

Long story short I got into a heated debate with another card member on wether one of my cards was fake or not here is the card in question

The guy said that die to the color of the shield being black and white instead of orange it had to be fake I would never do anything like sell or trade fake cards so I got really pissed and we went at each other. The one point I made was I had seen the same year cards with the same color shields on eBay and at card shows before. I just found another here is the listing

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=370780983294
    If my card is fake wich I still don't believe then why do I see so many others of the same year with same shield color?????? Mods a little help on this one

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (73)
    Country
    See Nyfancam01's Items on eBay

lol fake

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See winterempire's Items on eBay

Well the NHL changed the shield logo in 05-06 after the lockout. SO unless someone had a time machine back in 01-02 those are super fake.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Detroit Red Wings Minnesota Vikings Phoenix Coyotes
    See mattdmc2931's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

I've seen several as well with the same shield so I'm not really sure on this one.

SCF Rewards
    Country

How in gods name did they change the patch inside the card is flawless

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have seen this one a Scott Stevens one and a Brian leech one all with the same color shield

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

The card has been altered. The NHL did not switch to the silver shield logo until after the 2004-05 lockout. Whoever altered your card altered the Stevens and Leetch as well.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

By all I means I am no expert in hockey jerseys. I did a little bit of research and the shield is possibly REAL. My knowledge on pre-lockout hockey is not the best but here's the scoop:

The Shield you have is NOT located where the neck/collar is of todays modern jersey.It is located on the lower right at the BACK of the jersey. Looking at some pictures of Penguins jerseys in the 2000s and below there were no NHL shield collars. They made the switch when RBK used a newer version of jerseys. I could be wrong about the location of the NHL shield in your card but someone will have to correct me on that.

Hope this helps

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

In the era that Kovalev was with the Penguins, they did have a shield on the lower back of their jerseys, however it had this logo:

Alternate Logo (1994/95-2004/05)

Description

The NHL shield in the shape of a puck, in black and orange. This version was only used on NHL merchandise.

-----

The key is the layout of the logo. The NHL logo was always used in a descending order (i.e. N at the top, L at the bottom) up to the previous lockout; only after 2004-05 did it switch to the ascending (i.e. N at the bottom, L at the top) design.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the clarification! The only other alternative I can think of is possibly thee 2001 All Star. Though with the link the OP provided, he was not in the All-Star roster.

And to think that todays patches we doubt where they came from! Seems more of a headache back then!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast