Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bud Selig to create task force to tackle issue of lack of African American players

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2069119

Major League Baseball, alarmed by its historic low 7.7 % of African-American players on opening-day rosters this season, will announce the creation of a formal task force Wednesday to help reverse the decline, three MLB executives told USA TODAY Sports.

The executives spoke on the condition of anonymity because Commissioner Bud Selig has yet to announce it.

The 17-member committee will consist of owners, executives and coaches, including Hall of Famer Frank Robinson, Chicago White Sox vice president Kenny Williams, Tampa Bay Rays owner Stuart Sternberg and Southern University baseball coach Roger Cador.

Selig is urging them to find ways to increase the pipeline of diverse athletes to baseball, particularly African-Americans.

The African-American percentage in baseball this season is the lowest since the Boston Red Sox became the final team to integrate its roster in 1959, according to a USA TODAY Sports study that includes major-league players on the opening-day disabled lists. It's a drop from 8.05% last season, a dramatic decline from 1995 when 19% of the rosters were African-American players, and far from the peak of 27% in 1975.

"I never thought I'd see anything like this,'' Hall of Fame second baseman Joe Morgan told USA TODAY Sports in a telephone interview from Los Angeles on Tuesday. "But I've seen it coming. There, for a long time, there were a lot of African-American players to look up to and emulate, but there's not enough big stars now to dissuade them from basketball and football.''
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

2. Wata Photo
    Seriously ? I just see this as stupid. I thought everyone was suppose to be equal so why are they making a big deal that African-American participation is declining ? Speeking of which how many potential players are actually African-American I mean even if your black nowadays chance are you are just American, same way that the majority of white players nowadays are American as apposed to European-American.
    Collecting:
    Cincinnati Reds Certified Autograph Cards
    Dayton Flyers Basketball Anything

Hidden Content

This is a total waste of money and effort. Maybe they decided to play other sports that they like more or something like that.

It's rather simple, if a black player is good at Football, Basketball, or Baseball, they'll choose Basketball or Football most the time because the ability to make a lot of money quicker.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 186/283

One would think they wouldn't need a task force to tell them that with an increase in foreign players in the past decade plus coming into the league that it would lower the percentage of all Americans including African Americans. Players from Asia, Canada, Europe, South America, and Latin America aren't African American so every time their numbers increase in baseball it would be logical that the percentage of somebody would have to go down. Seeing as how there are more people outside the US than inside the US you also have to figure that you can't stop the talent pool and make it more favorable to Americans or in this case a segment of the American population.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

First they wouldn't let them play now they want them to come back.
    ITG Enforcers I & II | Heroes and Prospects Autos | Between the Pipes Masked Men | Jagr | Staal |ALL "TOUGH GUYS"

Its 2013, when will it be time to drop the "African-American" term? I've met a ton of black people and none of them have been from Africa (except for the Nigerian group that came to our church, but they lived there, not here). They (black people) are as American as I am (of Irish decent). American is American to me. The term "African-American" is racist to me, the fact that you have to separate the black from the white, just call them/yourselves American.

Quote Originally Posted by Aikman_TheGreat View Post
    Its 2013, when will it be time to drop the "African-American" term? I've met a ton of black people and none of them have been from Africa (except for the Nigerian group that came to our church, but they lived there, not here). They (black people) are as American as I am (of Irish decent). American is American to me. The term "African-American" is racist to me, the fact that you have to separate the black from the white, just call them/yourselves American.
    100% agree. I won't call them african- american unless they were actually born in africa.
    Collecting patches and autos of Buckeyes, SF Giants, SF 49ers,Browns, Indians, Cavs. Kevin Randleman and Mark Coleman items....
    Check the bucket for trades.....
    Hidden Content
    The argument can't be broken!

With the high number of hispanics and asians in baseball, every other race is going down. I would prefer to see whoever is the most talented regardless of their race

They should use that time and money to utilize instant replay
    COLLECTING YASIEL PUIG & 2013 TOPPS UPDATE EMERALDS! 322/330 = 97.5%
    Hidden Content <<<CLICK ME>>> Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast