Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting the smell of smoke out of cards

Bought a few cards off of eBay. Cards look fantastic, glad to have them in my collection. However, the sellers must have been extremely heavy smokers. Does anyone know how to get the stench of smoke off of cards? Many are game used cards so I'm thinking it'll be stuck to the jersey pieces.

Anyone have advice? Would like to get this smell of cards that I'll be putting into my PCs.
    Collecting:
    Maurice Jones-Drew, Ryan Moats, Bernard Pierce, Margus Hunt & Green Bay Packers game used
    Maurice Jones-Drew - Different: 898/2797 Total: 1140
    Ryan Moats - Different: 172/366

I've heard putting them in a shoebox with those bounce pads that you put in your dryer helps take the smell out,or you could just spray them with perfume.
    Do something nice for someone everyday, it will pay off in the long run.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

Depending on how many you have.

Place a layer of newspaper in a cardboard box. Layout the cards and continue with cards/newspaper. Fill the rest of the box with crumpled newspaper. Sometimes I spray some Fabreeze on the top layer of crumpled paper. Seal with tape and let it sit for two days.

put the cards on a shelf standing up for a few days to air out. Then use a dryer sheet in a shoe box but don't let the sheet touch the cards. Lay the cards face up and not on each other. May be best to do one card at a time. Let it sit for a day then take it out and go to the next.
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

I had this same issue happen to me. Get the cards and put them in towels in a box with a fabric softener sheet for a few days I left mine for a week. Then you let them air out on your desk. Also it worked on toys don't know if it will work with cards though my friend used those baking soda boxes in a box with the toy. He said it worked on cards too but I haven't tried it.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content IF YOU SMOKE PLEASE TELL ME Before Trading!!
    My Chris Henry by the numbers Items: 811 OWN: 423 52.2% MEM: 307 OWN: 152 49.5% AUTO: 395 OWN: 175 44.3% Ser #'d: 711 OWN: 343 48.2% RC: 38 OWN: 37 97.4% I TRADE BY BV. Hidden Content

Thank you for the posts! I'm going to try the newspaper in a shoebox with a dryer sheet idea. Did you take the cards out of the toploader and penny sleeves or leave them in there?
    Collecting:
    Maurice Jones-Drew, Ryan Moats, Bernard Pierce, Margus Hunt & Green Bay Packers game used

I left min in penny sleeves only
    Hidden Content
    My Chris Henry by the numbers Items: 811 OWN: 423 52.2% MEM: 307 OWN: 152 49.5% AUTO: 395 OWN: 175 44.3% Ser #'d: 711 OWN: 343 48.2% RC: 38 OWN: 37 97.4% I TRADE BY BV. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgehenryCollec View Post
    I left min in penny sleeves only
    Thanks for the good tip. I put everything in a penny sleeve, left the toploaders in the box as well around the sides. Added a few layers of newspaper and a Bounce sheet wrapped in paper. Hopefully it'll get the stench off the nice cards. Kind of angers me that people wouldn't say something about the setting the cards come from.
    Collecting:

Quote Originally Posted by BrewCrew06 View Post
    Thanks for the good tip. I put everything in a penny sleeve, left the toploaders in the box as well around the sides. Added a few layers of newspaper and a Bounce sheet wrapped in paper. Hopefully it'll get the stench off the nice cards. Kind of angers me that people wouldn't say something about the setting the cards come from.
    What it is is that they don't smell the smoke smell anymore. They get used to it.
    Hidden Content

I'll have had the cards in newspaper for two days by tomorrow. The smell better be off of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast