Thread: Bgs-9 ??

Bgs-9 ??

Here is a good example why grading is losing credibility.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Russell-Wils...item338152c189

Look at the lower right corner. I would not even keep this card little own consider it MINT.

This is a brand new product. Mint should be a fairly nice card, not something that should be sent in for replacement.

It got an 8.5 for corners, a 10 for centering, a 10 for surface and a 9.5 for edges. If you average the 4 grades you get a 9.5, but BGS only gives .5 above the lowest grade, so based on BGS grading standards a 9 is correct.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

That's pathetic considering these are a brand new premium product costing around $120 a box.

Yes, they gave the corners a 8.5 which is between Near Mint/Mint 8 and Mint.

Near Mint/Mint 8
    Corners: Sharp to the naked eye, but slight imperfections allowed under close examination.

Being able to see a huge white worn corner on an Ebay scan is not exactly a "slight imperfection under close examination"

All said, this card is trash. Why would anyone want it in their collection when there are so many nice ones available?

I have purchased two Chrome 9.5's hoping actually get a nice card. Both had the typical Chrome scratching on the surface that was very obvious when viewed
    under bright light.
    Somehow the drones at Beckett either work in the dark or need glasses.

I think they got the grading right, they don't go by whether the card is new vs. old, its the condition of the card and thats it. If this card was 3 years old and in the same condition it would still get a 9. I think your more shocked they got the card graded with a corner like that. But my opinion I would never want anything less than a 9.5 in my collection unless it were vintage.
    I always use tracking which cost $2.97 for me. I use ebay as a price guide. Here is my inventory, enjoy
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by elgato View Post
    That's pathetic considering these are a brand new premium product costing around $120 a box.

Yes, they gave the corners a 8.5 which is between Near Mint/Mint 8 and Mint.

Near Mint/Mint 8
    Corners: Sharp to the naked eye, but slight imperfections allowed under close examination.

Being able to see a huge white worn corner on an Ebay scan is not exactly a "slight imperfection under close examination"

All said, this card is trash. Why would anyone want it in their collection when there are so many nice ones available?

I have purchased two Chrome 9.5's hoping actually get a nice card. Both had the typical Chrome scratching on the surface that was very obvious when viewed
    under bright light.
    Somehow the drones at Beckett either work in the dark or need glasses.
    The seller could have had a high quality scanner that brings out even the slightest imperfections and make them look massive. My scanner does the same thing. I have had people question about condition on occasion and never hesitate to state that the quality of scan is high and that the card's imperfection is very minor.
    Supercollecting: LT, Antonio Gates, Ryan Mathews, Hakeem Olajuwon and Jose Canseco
    Will trade for: Nice Chargers Autos/GU
    Want GU/Autos Chipper Jones, and 2012 Topps Olympic Team cards that I don't have yet
    I trade by BV, not SV. I will only use SV if it is in regards to a sale
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content