Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1989 Upper Deck PSA 10 SET on Ebay?!?! Thoughts?!

First of all my apologies if this has already made it to another part of the forums. I was browsing Facebook today and saw Upper Deck shared an ebay link of an entire 800 card set from 1989 (each graded graded GEM MINT 10 PSA) and was shocked at the nearly $40,000 asking price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Upper-D...item2ec25a2be0

I've purchased graded cards before but have never gone through the submission process as my fear is that my card would somehow be damaged en route to be graded.. I just know its anywhere from $7-$25 bucks per card to be graded (depending upon quantity,wait time,etc) not too mention how painstakingly difficult it must be and expensive to insure every card being submitted comes back a perfect 10... Wanted to hear some other collectors thoughts, I know for me, this set in particular brings back memories from my childhood... Griffey Jr, Randy Johnson Rookies... not too mention the countless error cards ;)

While this is an amazing accomplishment I don't really see the demand. I mean while the set is famous outside of Griffey there isn't anything too valuable in the set anymore (minus errors). They made a ton of it so it would just take time and the effort to find the whole set in PSA 10 condition. It isn't like the set is 50 years old and finding a common in mint condition would be difficult.

The weird thing is that with the way Griffey's career played out and with the uncertain future of Upper Deck as a company I have to wonder if down the road this will even be anything more than a set that "old timers" remember and new collectors are perplexed as to why it was so special.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Agreed with pwaldo, this is a crazy accomplishment that must have taken forever to complete, but I don't see anyone having much interest in this
    Collector of:
    Twins, Chris Herrmann, Justin Morneau, Michael Cuddyer, sets
    Wild, North Stars
    Hidden Content

Greetings:
    This set reminds me of an offer I had given to me back in the early days of graded stuff. I apologize for the long read but its worth it. Back in 1995 I was doing my monthly show I was wheelin and dealing at when a customer noticed a sign I had at my table reading 'Inquire about me in set making for $5' so I told the customer what it all involves and well....he plopped his $5 on the table and the box of the 1984 Topps Football and he said he like a PSA 10 1984 Topps Football set. What this person didnt realize the task in trying to accomplish this I would had to find alot of the commons and submit them to PSA and what would occur if they didnt get the covet 10 ranking that is alot of cards that were graded and not what they wanted. So in short I tried to tell this to the customer who took back his $5 and his box and thought about it and then realized its hard task to do. Cause you look at you have to have the commons,stars,semi-stars,checklists,etc........ and then the $$$$$ to have them submitted and if it wasnt the right grade ya have to relocate another of that same card and do it all over again. So I am surprised that someone actually took the time to try and do this on a 1989 Upper Deck set so my hat is off to had it done. Cause this collector would have had more grey hair then ever in doing something like this. Thanks for your time and again I am sorry for the long reply on this but thats my point on this topic.
    "Any ballplayer that doesn't sign Autographs for little kids Ain't an American. He is a Communist"-Rogers Hornsby on Signing an Autograph as a Manager in 1942 with the St. Louis Browns.

S.R.'75

Hidden Content

No doubt.. For sure a very EXPENSIVE quest... If its a set I want to put together condition is important but I'd rather not waste the grey hairs on trying to get PSA 10's on every card in the set... I'll settle for ungraded and maybe if anything get the Griffey Jr. Graded.

maybe it's the scan, but that Griffey card does not look centered enough to be a PSA 10.

Quote Originally Posted by gps29070 View Post
    maybe it's the scan, but that Griffey card does not look centered enough to be a PSA 10.
    I think its just a bad scan/bad angle of the scan...

Through that much effort it's either 1.) going to the casket with me or 2.) becoming an heirloom

Then again desperate times call for desperate measures...

Total waste of money and time in my opinion,the only card worth grading in that set was the Griffey jr.at the least he's got 8,000 dollars into a set that when full and not graded is worth 60 dollars.I don't see anybody coming close to his 39,999 dollar asking price,now if it was a full set from the 50's or even 60's graded all 10's then we're talking big bucks.
    Do something nice for someone everyday, it will pay off in the long run.

Let us Pray.Hidden Content

Greetings:
    Well spuds1961 I would say if I were into grading cards for anythings I think these would be the key ones for the 1989 UD SET to have graded.

1. Ken Griffey Jr.
    2. Gary Sheffield no position error
    3. John Smoltz
    4. Dale Murphy reverse negative error

Everything else graded just be pointless.
    "Any ballplayer that doesn't sign Autographs for little kids Ain't an American. He is a Communist"-Rogers Hornsby on Signing an Autograph as a Manager in 1942 with the St. Louis Browns.

S.R.'75

Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast