Post First look: 2013 Topps Five Star baseball cards

http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/04/...aseball-cards/

Five Star is back — and it’s going for an even-higher ranking.

The sophomore release of the most-expensive baseball card brand in Topps history was unveiled on Friday, with the $500-per-pack sequel including one base card, two autographs, one autographed patch one autographed book or silver-ink signature and one jumbo Relic in every pack.

A preliminary checklist and release date was not disclosed.

Each case will include just three boxes with Topps promising to “take it to the next level this year by offering a number of new cards that would be signature pieces in any collection.

Among the new inclusions? Soccer legend Pele.

The base set will include a mix of 100 active and retired baseball players with each card limited to just 60 copies. Each card also will have a Rainbow parallel limited to 10 and a Five Star 1/1 parallel as well.

For the autograph collectors, there will be active and retired players signing once again with standard autos as well as Rainbows (/25) and 1/1 Five Stars. Players also will have Quotable autos once again with an added saying written alongside the graph. These will be limited to 10 and paralleled by 1/1 Five Stars. Also new in this area will be Five Star Legends autographs, which is where Pele falls.

Also to be found are Five Star auto patches (active and retired players), which will be limited to just 35 copies apiece. They also will have Gold (/10), Rainbow (/5) and 1/1 parallels.

On the deluxe end, there will be 1/1 bat knob and bat barrel cards to be found as well as batting glove cards that are limited to two copies apiece — presumably a righty and a lefty. Also to be found aree quad patches and octo patches, each limited to five.

Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Looks super-cool, but when it comes down to it, it's just another set I can't afford
    Twins, Chris Herrmann, Justin Morneau, Michael Cuddyer, sets, Wild, North Stars
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter @Hollywood_42_ Hidden Content

A soccer card is in this product? Why?
    I collect: Marbury, Jordan, Kobe, D-Will, AI, Durantula
    Chicago Cubs, Giancarlo Stanton, Randy Moss, Minnesota Vikings
    MY SITE:Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
    Looks super-cool, but when it comes down to it, it's just another set I can't afford
    Agree 100%

No longer shipping bubble envelopes to Canada since it's $6.55 for 1 ounce !
    I will still send a p.w.e if you want to trade

OPG Baseball Manager

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by wrigleyfield View Post
    I was thinking the same thing myself when I first read that.
    SuperCollecting 3 generations of Yastrzemski's!
    Hidden Content
    Carl: 556/3390 not including 1/1's (16.4%), Mike: 8/8 (100%), Michael: 10/19 (52.6%)
    Always looking for any memorabilia that I don't have to add to my PC!
    WANTLIST--->Hidden Content

Yeah, that's a lot of dough for a few random cards. Better off just buying singles of what you like. I did buy into one break and got a pretty cool Hanley Ramirez auto though, but even those are a gamble. Hopefully this years cards don't have that notorious chipping problem.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content
    Collecting Thome and Darvish.

Same ole story for me too. I remember not having enough money for cards when I was a kid. Never thought that would happen as an adult with a decent career.
    Last edited by Jiggs29; 04-20-2013 at 05:40 PM.
    Always collecting St. Louis Cardinals; Jim Edmonds; Nolan Ryan
    My Bucket Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by wrigleyfield View Post
    I could understand if this was Pele's only autograph card (he doesn't have many but does have some) but other than that to spend money on him to include him in products instead of a BASEBALL player is kinda dumb. I could see something like A&G because that includes multiple sports and athletes but 5 Star is suppose to be a super premium baseball product and I would guess more baseball collectors would rather have baseball players or baseball related guys in the product instead of soccer.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Some really nice looking cards there.

Very nice looking stuff, I'll probably end up getting a box even though I'll try not to. Maybe just some group breaks.
    Looking for 2012 National Treasures on card silver (/99) rated rookie autos, 2006 SP Legendary Cuts inserts/numbered base and most Mets auto/GU.
    Also looking for Celtics Autos/GU and 2012 Totally Certified Gold
    Hidden Content