Nolan Ryan RC...Starting a Vintage PC

While primarily a football card collector, I love vintage baseball cards. For some time, I have wanted to do a vintage baseball PC and I think I am slowly going to start to do so. My plan is to pick out specific cards and find graded examples that I like. I don't need to highest graded examples, but nice eye appeal is key. I just picked up one of the first cards in this collection. I have been dreaming about this card for a long time and finally found an example I really liked in my price range. I picked up a 1968 Topps Nolan Ryan/Jerry Koosman RC. I found a PSA 5 example that I thought was a very nice example. I think it will go nicely with my PSA 6 '72 Ryan as I start a vintage baseball collection.

Tony Graziani Collection: 44/49, Autos: 11/13, GU: 2/2
    Have You Seen This Card: 1999 Upper Deck Encore F/X Gold #11 Tony Graziani 1/1
    1967 Topps FB Set: 132/132 - Complete
    1994 UD Collector's Choice Gold FB Set: 321/384 - 83.6% Complete

Well, as a lifelong Mets fan, there are few better places to start! Love the PSA 5 grade, too!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content (finally organized!) and Hidden Content
    Current Project: 2013 Golden Age Minis Master Set: 683/750 cards (91.1%)

SCF's Resident BOISE STATE Collector
    Matt Ware & Justin Cobbs Super Collector

Great card to start with. I've been looking for a nice one in my price range for a long time. Congrats!
    Always collecting St. Louis Cardinals; Jim Edmonds; Nolan Ryan
    My Bucket Hidden Content

Thanks guys. This is a new project for me and I need to get over wanting mint condition cards as I can't afford super high grade vintage. Part of me was worried that a PSA 5 would not be good enough in my hands but honestly I really like the card. Perhaps this change of mindset won't be that bad.

That's a really nice Ryan rookie card, CamaroDMD. Congratulations!

I live about 15 minutes from the ballpark in Arlington. I've been a big "Ryan Express" fan since I was a kid growing up in Wisconsin (a long time ago, when he was still with the Angels). It speaks volumes about him that I was able to grow up, and start college with him still pitching. My one and only autographed ball (below) is a Nolan Ryan. The sig has faded a bit, as the case it's been stored in was not UV protected. So, I've got an Ultra Pro ball cube on the way.

I'm a huge vintage baseball card fan, also. I started collecting baseball cards again a little less than three years ago, and I've been buying modern cards while I learned about vintage collecting. I was going to start my vintage collection in earnest this month, but I found 3 incredible Bowman Chrome autograph cards to add to my PC. So, I'm going to start the vintage collection at the end of May. If you're game, we can each start threads for our vintage PCs, and update them as we get each card in. It should be really fun seeing what we each come up with, and having you starting from scratch at the same time will push me. I'll likely be buying one card a month. I am looking for quality, not quantity. My vintage, and the high end I already have, will be going in a safety deposit box at my bank.

I think you've got the right idea about grade level, too. I'm going to be sticking between PSA 5 and 7 (and the SGC equivalent, which is 60 to 84 iirc), depending on who I'm buying. The more expensive guys like Mickey Mantle will definitely be 5s.

I look forward to seeing your collection grow! Happy shopping!!
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

I will definitely start a vintage PC thread. I might wait until I pick up one more to give me 3 total. I think I might strech the meaning of "vintage" a little. My original thought was to include cards up to 1990 since my favorite childhood player was David Justice and I'd like one of his rookies in this set. But, I might squeeze 1991 in there so I can include a Chipper Jones rookie. Not really anything overly special. I'm going to mainly stick to the 1950s-70s.

As for grades. I'm thinking PSA 5-7 as well. I'm starting to compile a list of "wanted cards" and some are PSA 4s...but those are really special ones. And who knows, by the time I get to them maybe I can afford the higher grade.