Post High school baseball game a travesty after 65-0 score in 3 innings

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...XBhZ2U-;_ylv=3

Words like travesty dont usually apply to a high school baseball game. They do when the final score of that game is 65-0.

As first noted by the Newark Advocate, a newspaper in Ohio, and followed upon by Sporting News columnist Bill Bender, the Licking County (Oh.) Licking Heights High baseball team routed Columbus (Oh.) Harvest Prep High by a final score of 65-0. The game was halted after three innings, by which point Licking Heights already had accumulated 48 hits, 13 walks and a troubling 11 hit batsmen.

The Hornets scored 16 runs in the first inning, 18 runs in the second and 31 in the third. Harvest Prep scored no runs at all.

"It's the most awkward I've ever felt in 34 years of coaching," Licking Heights coach Jeff Boyer told the Sporting News. "I didn't know what to feel. I wasn't happy. I felt bad for their kids and didn't know what to tell our kids."

Before anyone blame the state of Ohio for not having a mercy rule to halt such a game, its worth noting that it does. However, that rule calls for games to end abruptly if one team holds a 10-run lead after five innings and does not have provisions for games that get far out of hand earlier. In the case of Licking Heights and Harvest Prep, the game was called after three innings because of encroaching darkness, not the astounding 65-0 score.

While there is no defending a 65-0 final score, it appears that Boyer tried or offered to try -- just about every alternative at his disposal to minimize the damage. At one point Boyer claims he went to the games home plate umpire and offered to have his players bunt and then step on the plate to guarantee an out.

The umpires response to that possibility? Boyer made that clear, and hinted at its irony.

he said he didn't want it to be a travesty of a game. And I'm thinking, 'We're already there.' "

While the two teams will meet again on April 22, Boyer has made it clear that Licking Heights is committed to avoiding the kind of embarrassment that resulted from the teams first encounter.
    Too much? Or should the other team play 100% even though the other team stinks?
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

How do you let your team do this? I would've made my players bat oppo handed or something once it got like 25-0. Obviously this team isn't going to hit your pitching. Why even schedule a team that low of calibure compared to you?

In high school it's all conference play, so the matchups are pretty much set, not like college ball. You get the traditionally bad schools in there. My high school team beat one of those 23-0 once. Not really anything you can do. 65-0 is crazy though, that's out of hand. Don't let your players swing or something

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaller23 View Post
    How do you let your team do this? I would've made my players bat oppo handed or something once it got like 25-0. Obviously this team isn't going to hit your pitching. Why even schedule a team that low of calibure compared to you?
    Supercollecting the Twins and Chris Herrmann
    Also collecting Justin Morneau, Michael Cuddyer, sets, Wild, North Stars
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Check out my baseball blog at dugoutdiscussions.blogspot.com Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood42 View Post
    In high school it's all conference play, so the matchups are pretty much set, not like college ball. You get the traditionally bad schools in there. My high school team beat one of those 23-0 once. Not really anything you can do. 65-0 is crazy though, that's out of hand. Don't let your players swing or something
    High School baseball isn't like that where I'm from. We beat the worst team in our conference 20's-0 numerous times. Everytime we could've beat them literally as bad as we wanted to. Where I'm from you play you play more non-conference games than conference in the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBaller23 View Post
    I understand that would be done to get the game over with, but don't you think that would be a bit insulting to the pitcher for the other team bat with their opposite hand? I'd tell them to swing at everything

Sounds like even if the players didn't swing, they might still be walked around the bases and score runs. 11 hit batters in 3 innings?

Larger Public school (graduates about 300 a year) playing a small private school (graduates about 40 a year)..... There's no reason for them to be playing against each other.

Im on high school baseball right now and what my coach generally does in situations like this is we hit, but only advance 1 base no matter where the ball is hit. no stealing, no tagging on my balls, just if you get a hit go to the next base. earlier in the year we beat a team 34 to 0