Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

first year collecting, questions regarding mid-long term card values

Hello,

As the title states I'm in my first year of collecting hockey cards.

I'm curious as to how the value of cards such as young guns fluctuate over time. Take for example a Brayden Schenn Young Gun card. It sells for say $7 or so on ebay right now.

2 years ago, Brayden was being called the best player in the world not in the NHL by some.. was the value higher then?
    Hypothetically, if the Flyers turned it around next year, with Schenn leading the way and he became a star, would the value rise significantly?

Kadri is another example, currently going for around 16-18 on ebay. but has the value been this high since it first released? or has it been rising lately as kadri is having a good year on a revived leafs team?

What it really comes down to, I guess, is if you have a young gun card that you have no intention of keeping for PC, and its worth a dollar. It can't really go down in value, but if that guy is a late bloomer and turns into a solid NHL'er is there much of a chance in value increasing, or are values fairly stable after they are established in the players rookie year?

I'm not really sure how to research the value of a particular card over a multiple year horizon, so hopefully some veterans of the hobby can share some knowledge.

Thanks to anyone who replies!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Almost 100% of card values drop over time, especially when dealing with newer releases. Great hobby, terrible investment.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

Almost 100% of card values drop over time, especially when dealing with newer releases. Great hobby, terrible investment.

I second that

SCF Rewards
    Country

It all depends on what is happening right here, right now. For example, I made a trade last year and the other trader was a little short on value. He tossed in 2 Brandon Saad Young Guns to even it up. At the time they might have sold for a dollar each, now they're approaching ten dollars each.

Same with Kadri. When his Young Guns first came out, they sold decently. Once people started calling him a bust, they started to drop. Once he started playing well this season, they really picked up. You'll see much of the same in the playoffs. A guy can have a fantastic playoff where he scores 7 goals in 11 games and his cards go through the roof (at least compared to before). Then the next year comes around and he comes back to earth, and suddenly his cards sell for relatively nothing again. Ville Leino anyone?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See vaughanbetts's Items on eBay

It's true. This is NOT a good place for investment money. You can occasionally sell a card for more than you bought it for if your timing is right (I just did this three times this past week, for a pretty good total profit, but that was really the best week ever for that). Most times though, you end up buying high and selling low, which is a great way to lose money.

Solution: Stick to cards you actually want to keep for your own, because then the resale value won't matter to you.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not really looking to invest in cards, don't get me wrong.

I'm just unsure of the optimal strategy in terms of unloading or holding onto cards you dont want for PC, but get in packs/box breaks. In that case, my money is spent that is fine as thats the risk I take buying sealed packs. But from that point on, I'm not sure if say I should sell for ex. this brayden schenn young gun for $7, or ride it out and maybe in a year or two he's a star and sell it then. Just curious how the markets change long term

Sorry if i worded my original post poorly. I understand forums for collectible goods are filled with people looking to flip stuff and make money. I buy the packs looking to pull things that are in it that I would want to keep, like an eberle YG for example, but I ended up with a schenn, just wondering what others do in this situation.

Thanks again for all replies

SCF Rewards
    Country

Like everyone said ..... usually cards go down.

When deciding on selling your card, you should either wait for:
    a) Your player becomes hot
    b) The team your player is on goes far in the playoffs

Thats really the only time youll make more than average.

When buying for your PC, I would suggest waiting until Summer to save some money .... or when everyone is after that hot player thats into the 2nd - 3rd - 4th round of the playoffs .... dont gravitate to the hot guy and pick up what the majority isnt watching
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I second that too :)

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

Many thing does influence value. Usually the best time to move cards is when a product was just release as this is when demand is high. Once most collectors have their cards then demand go down. Also thing like the team a player play for and then is traded can influence a lot in price. Like a montreal player has a big collector fan base so it mean a better demand. A good example is Halak. Was very popular when playing for Montreal but when they traded him to St-Louis you stop seing his name mentioned in trades. His card value did drop just because of the trade. Then a few will go up during playoff or when they really get a good season but not all the time. Again it depend on demand. If a player does well but has no hobby love the price may not go up. So a lot of thing influence collectors and hard to predict. But the best time to move cards remain when a release is hot in most case. Trade also may activate a card popularity too. Just moved a ICE rookie because the player was traded to pitsburg and was playing with Crosby and doing better. More collectors also collect the penguins so it help versus a team from the west to not many collects.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Pittsburgh Steelers Cincinnati Reds
    See sxetnrdrmr2112's Items on eBay

I'm not really looking to invest in cards, don't get me wrong.

I'm just unsure of the optimal strategy in terms of unloading or holding onto cards you dont want for PC, but get in packs/box breaks. In that case, my money is spent that is fine as thats the risk I take buying sealed packs. But from that point on, I'm not sure if say I should sell for ex. this brayden schenn young gun for $7, or ride it out and maybe in a year or two he's a star and sell it then. Just curious how the markets change long term

Sorry if i worded my original post poorly. I understand forums for collectible goods are filled with people looking to flip stuff and make money. I buy the packs looking to pull things that are in it that I would want to keep, like an eberle YG for example, but I ended up with a schenn, just wondering what others do in this situation.

Thanks again for all replies

I keep the cards like that for trade bait. Been doing that recently with my baseball stuff...any non Reds inserts for Reds inserts. Having some of the inserts that might be money makers one day allows me to get some other cards to finish sets and PC's., and also allows me to get more cards in a trade. I am the weirdo who will trade a decent valued card for 10-15 base cards just to finish a set. The "value" or profit in the activity for me is finishing sets, rather than making money

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast