Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Who is sick of most of the Panini Product being high-end with bad designs, bad autos?

I am. The high-end goes with other brands as well. The bad autos is mainly Panini.

SCF Rewards
    Country

What are there high end products anyways besides from nt.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Marquee, Preferred, elite, etc

SCF Rewards
    Country

Hence why I just buy singles from these products. The only Panini cards I still open a box of once in a while is Totally Certified.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See cgb_orl's Items on eBay

Bad autos can't be their fault. This year is a anomaly because you have 2 times the normal. Jeremy Lin was a labeled a "bad auto" when it came out. This is based on the rookies impact which is on the NBA. The NBA is allowing loaded teams in bad conferences. Rookies have a harder time now making an impact because they are the guy right away on very bad teams. Veterans are running to contenders.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

cgb_orl, you bring up an interesting point about Lin. Quite honestly, I believe the whole auto thing this year was directly inspired by his rise last year. Panini desperately hopes one of these obscure guys will turn into a bigger name player like he did. Problem is, they don't understand odds or reasonable production limits - it would be fine if they kept a large number of rookies to a set or two, but nearly every single product? It makes no logical sense. The chances of seeing another Lin are quite slim; why not just have a rookie or two of the obscure players and then keep the rookie odds more traditional for the rest of the products? That makes far more sense, and it's what Topps and Upper Deck always did.

SCF Rewards
    Country

When I mean bad auto, they put too many worten, lavoy allen, Tyler Honeycutt caliber autos.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See cgb_orl's Items on eBay

Understood, but I can literally look into my box of old autos and there are tons of low end players that had no value when they were pulled. UD, Topps, Fleer, Press Pass from every year because there are not that many big sellers in basketball. We just don't put a lot value into prospects which is what most draft picks are. Some do come into their own (recent ex Paul George) but rarely........However the box prices steadily rise. So I think it comes down to our perception of value/box. You open boxes looking to get certain guys and are slightly disappointed when it turns out to be a no name. Do you care that that auto may turn into gold later.....no.

UD and Topps, you used to get 1 (maybe 2) hits. You were still paying ~$100/box. Building up to 09-10 there was a flood of autos/patches/jerseys/1of1s but they steadily loss value in our eyes. So we had a mess regarding value/box. That's the time UD and Topps bailed and left it to Panini. I think they are stacking autos in these boxes to continue to nurse the perception of value but it can't be KD's/Kobe's. But back to value, in basketball, we ONLY go for the hot stuff. Very rarely do you have a collector that collects outside the norm. And if there is a deviation and it relates to a spike in Ebay prices, we ultimately follow that trend too. So the question becomes, is it the hobby or the collectors?
    Last edited by cgb_orl; 04-26-2013 at 12:51 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

That is one reason why I buy scrub autos. Because of Lin.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Understood, but I can literally look into my box of old autos and there are tons of low end players that had no value when they were pulled. UD, Topps, Fleer, Press Pass from every year because there are not that many big sellers in basketball. We just don't put a lot value into prospects which is what most draft picks are. Some do come into their own (recent ex Paul George) but rarely........However the box prices steadily rise. So I think it comes down to our perception of value/box. You open boxes looking to get certain guys and are slightly disappointed when it turns out to be a no name. Do you care that that auto may turn into gold later.....no.

UD and Topps, you used to get 1 (maybe 2) hits. You were still paying ~$100/box. Building up to 09-10 there was a flood of autos/patches/jerseys/1of1s but they steadily loss value in our eyes. So we had a mess regarding value/box. That's the time UD and Topps bailed and left it to Panini. I think they are stacking autos in these boxes to continue to nurse the perception of value but it can't be KD's/Kobe's. But back to value, in basketball, we ONLY go for the hot stuff. Very rarely do you have a collector that collects outside the norm. And if there is a deviation and it relates to a spike in Ebay prices, we ultimately follow that trend too. So the question becomes, is it the hobby or the collectors?

I agree with your overall point, but on the sub-point, the process of getting autos of non-star vets, etc. like what was common with Skybox Autographics and the like back in the day was at least preferable to getting autos of 2nd round prospects that you never hear about again in practically every single product. Again, Panini has taken large rookie class autos to a level never seen before, even among Topps and UD, and I think it's because of misguided decisions relating to Lin's breakout last year.

I also slightly disagree with the "only hot stuff" point. I have nearly 800 trades in eight years with a primarily low end collection. It is not quite as rare as I think some believe. I do agree that the *majority* of collectors focus on the hot stuff, but I have found a decent number of folks who collect college stuff, lesser-known players they like, teams, sets, and so forth. One look at my collection interests and it should be clear I am in that boat also. So to repeat: it's not as rare as I think some believe.

Anyway, good thought-provoking reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast