Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PSA or Beckett? or who should i grade through

So i just got back into collecting a couple years ago and kept buying modern cards and autos of my pc players and i will continue to do that but i am really starting to get into Vintage cards. I picked the 1954 topps set for the first one that i want to go after. Now i know it will not be easy or cheap i am bidding on some lots of cards that are raw. I plan to grade them after i finish the set but my main priority is to complete it first. If you were to grade cards like that or any cards do you prefer to go through PSA or beckett.
    Collecting: Jim Thome, Cal Ripken Jr, Ken Griffey Jr, Tim Lincecum, Ichiro, Roy Halladay, Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Mike Trout.
    Looking For Specifically: 2011 Topps Sparkles SPs, 2011 Legendary SP, 2012 legendary SP, 2012 Topps short prints,
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

For vintage cards PSA is the way to go most of the time
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

I see a lot more PSA graded vintage out there than Beckett, but I prefer Beckett myself. You can also get your cards graded by Beckett at a substantial discount through SCF if you participate in one of the group submissions.

If you think you'll ever buying PSA graded cards, you may find this discussion enlightening:

The PSA "flip": A discussion on deconstructing fake graded cards.
    Hidden Content
    Always Buying and Trading for BGS/BVG Graded Cards of:
    Roberto Clemente - Ichiro - Cal Ripken - Nolan Ryan - Mike Trout

Quote Originally Posted by pwaldo View Post
    For vintage cards PSA is the way to go most of the time
    I disagree, SGC are more accurate in their vintage grading. PSA has somewhat higher visibility because of their registries, but many of the serious vintage collectors I know swear by SGC. In fact, I'm considering sending the PSA vintage I buy to SGC for cross grading. That's not to say that PSA isn't good, it is, but I've found SGC to be more dependable.
    Collecting pre-war, vintage and modern baseball cards.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

SGC is the slab I see more vintage in. PSA & Beckett are good but the industry seems to go SGC when it comes to pre war cards. I have been using them for years, good people.

Steve
    Amazing Heroes
    Union NJ 07083

My 2 cents for what its worth....

For Re-Sale and/or set registries---PSA

To keep in your collection---SGC Or BGS

Meticulous grading--Probably SGC, but I think BGS is tougher than PSA too

For Protection/Peace of Mind--BGS as they are far superior in their graded card cases
    My Bucket
    Hidden Content

NOW TAKING CONSIGNMENTS, TOP RATED PLUS POWER SELLER. CONTACT ME FOR DETAILS AND WATCH YOUR ITEMS SELL WITHOUT DOING ANY WORK!!!

This is actually a hard choice for me, i am thinking that i will stick with SGC since its not something i am going to resell.
    Collecting: Jim Thome, Cal Ripken Jr, Ken Griffey Jr, Tim Lincecum, Ichiro, Roy Halladay, Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Mike Trout.
    Looking For Specifically: 2011 Topps Sparkles SPs, 2011 Legendary SP, 2012 legendary SP, 2012 Topps short prints,
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by tekc8083 View Post

For Protection/Peace of Mind--BGS as they are far superior in their graded card cases
    Excellent points.

I've noticed that BGS 9.5 cards don't sell for as much as PSA 10 cards, if you accept that BGS 9.5 = PSA 10. PSA doesn't seem to care as much about centering as BGS either. I've seen many PSA 10 cards that are off center, especially in the vintage stuff.

I have another guess as to why PSA is more popular than BGS/BVG for grading – PSA is more lenient.
    Hidden Content
    Always Buying and Trading for BGS/BVG Graded Cards of:
    Roberto Clemente - Ichiro - Cal Ripken - Nolan Ryan - Mike Trout

Quote Originally Posted by tekc8083 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard7 View Post
    Excellent points.

I've noticed that BGS 9.5 cards don't sell for as much as PSA 10 cards, if you accept that BGS 9.5 = PSA 10. PSA doesn't seem to care as much about centering as BGS either. I've seen many PSA 10 cards that are off center, especially in the vintage stuff.

I have another guess as to why PSA is more popular than BGS/BVG for grading – PSA is more lenient.
    this is all the truth. Not sure why the prospectors out there submit to BGS when PSA's sell much better. I think its people seeing the 10 over the 9.5 that gets the auctions up. Now BGS 10's are a whole different story. PSA is way more lenient too overall.

I think over time, we're going to see the price gap between SGC and PSA vintage narrow for precisely the reasons that have been discussed. I think the discerning eye tells a collector that SGC is just more consistent, and as more people go to SGC as their grader of choice (first time, and crossover), PSA's stranglehold on the post war market will lessen. PSA is more visible for now. If you go to Ebay, and do a search on any high profile post war card, there will be more graded examples from PSA than from SGC. I've found that true for all the cards I've been looking at.

Let's face it, though. Every collector I've spoken to raves about SGC's customer service, whereas with PSA, it's a mixed bag. Also, while I like PSA's presentation, I just love the way that SGC cards look. The slab and the flip are just gorgeous!

Look at that Johnson. Is that not a thing of beauty? And the hand cut black background perfectly frames the card.
    Collecting pre-war, vintage and modern baseball cards.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast