Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (116)
    Country
    See centralfalc1616's Items on eBay

NYPD will deploy 'harmless' gas into subway in terror response drill

Published time: April 25, 2013 22:37

The New York City Police Department announced Wednesday that it will deploy, then track, what it calls “harmless” gases into the city’s subway system over three non-consecutive days this summer.

The plan, to be enacted in July, will investigate New York’s readiness to handle a chemical terrorist attack by dispersing the colorless gas and tracing it as it flows through the city, according to Scientific American. The test is expected to cost $3.4 million and is scheduled to be carried out in all five boroughs and dozens of stations on 21 of the city's 34 subway lines.

The NYPD works for the best but plans for the worst when it comes to potentially catastrophic attacks such as ones employing radiological contaminants or weaponized anthrax,” police commissioner Ray Kelly said in a statement.

The police will use roughly 200 detectors to monitor the gas. Dubbed the Subway-Surface Air Flow Exchange, the test will be the largest of its kind and organized in cooperation with the energy department’s Brookhaven National Laboratory. They’ll use perfluorocarbon tracer gases (PFTs), which are frequently used to measure potential sites for underground construction.

Despite the science fiction catastrophe a plan of this magnitude naturally conjures, Fernando Ferrer, the acting chairman of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority maintained that it will not impact commuters.

The NYPD, in partnership with the MTA, is responsible for keeping more than 5 million daily subway customers safe and secure,” he said in a statement Wednesday. “This study will bolster the NYPD’s understanding of contaminant dispersion within the subway system as well as between the subway system and street, thereby improving its ability to better protect both customers and the city population at large.”

The scheduled gas deployment comes years after investigators foiled an Al-Qaeda terrorist plot to bomb the New York subways, the largest public transportation system in the world. Three men had planned to detonate suicide vests just days before the eighth anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks in what US Attorney General Eric Holder at the time called “one of the most serious threats” to the United States since 2001.

http://rt.com/usa/nypd-gas-subway-terror-drill-416/

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (109)
    Country
    See wrightman6986's Items on eBay

This is insane!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Stay the hell out of NYC this summer!!
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I read the article, then I read the 2 comments. What are you two talking about??? I would think that they would have already conducted these type of drills years ago. It only makes sense to know these things.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I read the article, then I read the 2 comments. What are you two talking about??? I would think that they would have already conducted these type of drills years ago. It only makes sense to know these things.

Everytime there is some type of "drill" like this there is conicidentally some type of non-related terrorist attack. Look it up if you don't believe me.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Everytime there is some type of "drill" like this there is conicidentally some type of non-related terrorist attack. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Oh please!!! Every time??? Why don't you try looking up all the 1,000s of practice drills that are run all over the world and find the "associated" terrorist attack that occurred every time.

Keep looking for your conspiracies and without fail you will find them. SMH

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

I'm not sure I trust the Manhattan Transit Authority well enough to be underground when this drill happens. You never know when some ideologue decides this would be a good time to slip some Sarin into the mix. (joking)

A drill like this just gives the anarchists, and terrorists more mass-death ideas.