Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which rookie card is worth buying?

Heh guys and gals,
    I am a neophyte when it comes to buying baseball cards and I will give you an example of what I would like to better understand. I am a Phillies fan for better or for worse and I want to buy a rookie "Jesse Biddle" card. It seems like there are so many options out there. Everything from a card by Bowman for $1.00 to Gold refractor cards for $15.00. Can anyone please give me a tip or advice as to how to know which card might be the one worth buying for the future?

Thanks much!

2. Wata Photo
    Being that I am a set builder, and don't collect to make money, I would say go with the one that looks the best, or coolest to you. Or get both? It is such a crap shoot as to what is going to be valuble..and value is very subjective. Refractors tend to hold more value since they tend to have shorter print runs and there are less out there.

you will get a million different answers on this board though. Good luck
    Hidden Content <- my wants
    most anything I have more than 1 of in my SCF inventory is FT...PM me for info
    Always looking to add to these team collections: Toronto Maple Leafs; Pittsburgh Steelers; Cincinnati Reds; Notre Dame; Team Sweden Hockey

MrDetail, typically, Bowman Chrome autos are the best prospect or rookie card for a player. Jesse doesn't have one out yet, but he will in a week:

http://sportscardradio.com/sports-ca...ball-checklist

2013 Bowman Baseball comes out on May 8th.

Check Ebay right after the cards on the 8th, searching on Jessee Biddle Chrome auto. They will typically be lowest right after release as the market for each card is determined.

As with other Chrome releases, there will be several variants of the same card. A base chrome auto, a refractor chrome auto (500 made), a blue refractor (150 made), a gold refractor (50 made), an orange refractor (25 made), a purple refractor (10 made), a red refractor (5 made), and a superfractor (1 made, or a 1/1). Obviously, the smaller print run of a variant, the more expensive the card will be.

If you're looking for a graded Chrome auto, it will be a few weeks before these start to show up.

Good luck!!
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth
    Hi, I'm Bill. Cheesehead by birth. Packer and Brewer fanatic by choice.
    I will treat all SCF members with respect. I ask that you please do the same.

Thanks much xpucks and Lambeausouth for your posts. Very good information.
    My boy Halladay gave up 8 runs last night versus Cleveland. Not sure what to make of this. Happy Wednesday!

Quote Originally Posted by lambeausouth View Post
    MrDetail, typically, Bowman Chrome autos are the best prospect or rookie card for a player. Jesse doesn't have one out yet, but he will in a week:

http://sportscardradio.com/sports-ca...ball-checklist

2013 Bowman Baseball comes out on May 8th.

Check Ebay right after the cards on the 8th, searching on Jessee Biddle Chrome auto. They will typically be lowest right after release as the market for each card is determined.

As with other Chrome releases, there will be several variants of the same card. A base chrome auto, a refractor chrome auto (500 made), a blue refractor (150 made), a gold refractor (50 made), an orange refractor (25 made), a purple refractor (10 made), a red refractor (5 made), and a superfractor (1 made, or a 1/1). Obviously, the smaller print run of a variant, the more expensive the card will be.

If you're looking for a graded Chrome auto, it will be a few weeks before these start to show up.

Good luck!!
    I thought Bowman Chrome came out later in the year...like Sept?
    Hidden Content <- my wants
    most anything I have more than 1 of in my SCF inventory is FT...PM me for info
    Always looking to add to these team collections: Toronto Maple Leafs; Pittsburgh Steelers; Cincinnati Reds; Notre Dame; Team Sweden Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by xpucksx View Post
    I thought Bowman Chrome came out later in the year...like Sept?
    The best way I can think of answering this, xpucksx, is to direct you to a discussion I started earlier in the year about the three releases that make up Bowman's flagship line: Bowman Baseball, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman DP&P (Draft Picks & Prospects):

http://www.sportscardforum.com/threa...g-Bryce-Harper

That will tell you everything you need to know.

The short answer is that the Chrome cards are split up in all three releases.

Here's the checklist for the 2013 Bowman Baseball, coming out next week:

http://sportscardradio.com/index.php...ball-checklist

The hobby packs contain 10 cards: 5 bowman baseball, 2 Bowman Prospects, 2 bowman Chrome prospects, and a base gold parallel card.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth

Heh Bill, just noticed you signature at the bottom of your posts. My wife is a big Packer fan and Badger fan.
    Born and raised in Wisconsin.

A side bar question for you. Any recommendations for a reliable grading service if I ever wanted to get a card graded and sealed?

Personally, I like the auto rookies but am also partial to gold refractors and blue refractors. I love how they are so low numbered

Quote Originally Posted by MrDetail View Post
    Heh Bill, just noticed you signature at the bottom of your posts. My wife is a big Packer fan and Badger fan.
    Born and raised in Wisconsin.

A side bar question for you. Any recommendations for a reliable grading service if I ever wanted to get a card graded and sealed?
    If it's a modern card, go with Beckett. They provide an overall grade for the card, as well as 4 subgrades for centering, border, corner and surface. And if the card has a certified auto, they will grade that, too.

For vintage cards, I prefer SGC, but PSA is good, too.
    Hidden Content
    Formerly lambeausouth

Quote Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
    Bowman Baseball, Bowman Chrome, and Bowman DP&P (Draft Picks & Prospects):

The short answer is that the Chrome cards are split up in all three releases.

The hobby packs contain 10 cards: 5 bowman baseball, 2 Bowman Prospects, 2 bowman Chrome prospects, and a base gold parallel card.
    Pardon the rant, but Bowman is way too dang complicated. No offense, prospectors...
    My Want list site:
    Hidden Content

Cards - they're like 2Ĺ" by 3Ĺ" slices of crack!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast