Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

BVs Down on Top '80s RCs??

I know people have their opinions on Beckett but I use it for inventory purposes and have noticed that the BV of the top 80s RC have just taken a plunge.

Topps Roy is down to $80 from $100
    Topps Lemieux down to $100 from $150.

What gives? Did anyone else notice this? Is there a reason why? I haven't kept up with the card discussion forum for a few weeks so please excuse if this has already been discussed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Well, let's be honest. Patrick roy is one of the top 2-3 goalies to ever step onto the ice. I'll let you guys argue over where he falls onto that pantheon. But his Topps RC isn't rare. Hell, it's not even close. The ONLY reason that card commands any type of money is that *EVERYONE* wants one because of who he is and a ton of them have suffered damage over the years. If it wasn't for those 2 factors that thing would be like 20 bucks at best. But you asked why it went down, so sorry for the sidetrack. The people who wanted a topps roy rc bought one years ago. They have one. So unless you're a new collector or it's just been on your "to do list" and you never got around to it, you've had this thing. When that happens, it makes the ones still in circulation hard to move, so the price drops.

Hell I finally picked up my super mario topps rc (it was on my "to do" list) psa 9 this year for 80 bucks this year. Deals to be had to be sure.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It just kills me to see cards go down in BV while everything else around us is going up. Milk is up to $4.19 a gallon!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

It just kills me to see cards go down in BV while everything else around us is going up. Milk is up to $4.19 a gallon!!

You just compared cardboard with the picture of an athlete on it to food. Priorities man.

SCF Rewards
    Country

You just compared cardboard with the picture of an athlete on it to food. Priorities man.

I put this on the milk forum and couldn't get any responses lol. It's more than just cardboard, it's a hobby we all love, which is why I brought this up.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I prefer the phrase "cardboard hockey man" myself. My LCS owner jokes that he "sells pictures of men." It's a funny world. LOL

Anyways, it's likely a consequence of supply & demand. That, or one of their "network of owners" in the deep southern US sold a hockey card for stupid cheap and thought it would be a good idea to report it.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Oh I know I'm just teasing. But in the end the only way this stuff is "investment grade" is go buy the OPC copies topps is kids stuff ;) and BGS 10 or it's junk. Because a BGS 10 Roy RC is unlikely to drop much because, well, there aren't many of them lol.

Oh which is actually the part I forgot to mention, grading kinda killed older card values in a weird way. See once upon a time having a Roy rookie was enough. Then everyone got them graded. Then it was only cool if you had a high graded roy rookie. So all the sudden not only did everyone realize these cards weren't exactly as rare as we thought (tons poured in to be graded) there were a LOT OF THEM that graded out really highly too. So, yeah, crap. So if you can pick up a PSA9 mario for 150 (or bargain hunt like I did) imagine what you can get a 7 or an 8 for. and since technically beckett is pricing a 7 in their guide, yeah it sucks but it is what it is.

In the end "collecting" anything that isn't gold, silver, or hell I'd now settle for copper is pretty much poor investment. You do it cause you love it. But just assume every dollar you spend is like a movie ticket. You paid you're admission to enjoy the show. The tickets non-refundable lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Where are you buying your milk? I just paid $2.59 at Tops in Buffalo yesterday...

As for the BV going down, the ideas put forward by RGM are likely dead-on. There just isn't much hobby heat for rookie cards from three decades ago, everyone wants the new crops.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Where are you buying your milk? I just paid $2.59 at Tops in Buffalo yesterday...

As for the BV going down, the ideas put forward by RGM are likely dead-on. There just isn't much hobby heat for rookie cards from three decades ago, everyone wants the new crops.

Expensiveass Connecticut. Gas: $3.89 a gallon too.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See dave71120's Items on eBay

It's depressing to see the value of HOFer RCs dropping like that, but a /99 Auto RC of a guy known only in his team's market (no one specific, just sayin') can skyrocket just because he's new and the card is "rare".

For me, it's not a lot of fun to drop $60-70 on a box of a mid-range product like UD1 (minimum, next year's stuff looks like $60-70 will be the lowest of the low-end ) and not only come up short on a full set but be lucky to get even half of what you paid in BV for whatever inserts you pull. And then, *if* you get lucky and you score a nice hit, the big problem becomes selling it. And then, even *if* you can sell it, can you get more than pennies on the BV-dollar for it? Maybe I'm just a little bitter, though, because I can't seem to move a darn thing unless I give it away (like, $1-2 for a $15-20 card) and am just ranting. Sorry 'bout that. :-\

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast