Cubs may ponder Wrigley exit

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story...e-not-approved

The owner of the Chicago Cubs threatened Wednesday to move the team out of Wrigley Field if his plans for a big, new video screen are blocked, saying he needs millions of dollars in ad revenue to help bankroll the renovation of the storied ballpark.

It was the first time during months of contentious negotiations over plans for a $500 million renovation of the 99-year-old stadium that Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts has threatened to move the team out of the lively North Side neighborhood of Wrigleyville.

"The fact is that if we don't have the ability to generate revenue in our own outfield, we'll have to take a look at moving -- no question," Ricketts told reporters after outlining renovation plans to Chicago business leaders.

He added that he remained committed to working out a deal.

By far the thorniest issue is the plan for a 6,000-square-foot video screen over left field, as seen in many major league ballparks. The difference is that Wrigley Field -- the second oldest ballpark in Major League Baseball behind Fenway Park in Boston -- is surrounded by privately owned clubs with rooftop bleachers whose owners object to any changes that could block their bird's-eye views into the stadium.

The rooftop businesses have been left out of discussions on the proposed upgrade, but they feel they should have a seat at the bargaining table because they have a contract in which they share 17 percent of their revenue with the Cubs. Legal action is a possibility.

Ricketts presented an architectural rendering of the video screen during his speech to the City Club of Chicago and insisted that the team's own studies have shown it would have minimal, if any, impact on the views. He described the sign as "midsize" compared with those at other stadiums. It is nearly three times as large as the scoreboard currently atop the centerfield bleachers. Another smaller sign with the name of a sponsor is planned for right field.

He said without such signage, the team was losing out on $20 million a year in ad revenue -- essential for helping fund the extensive renovations without dipping into taxpayer funds.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

That would be bad. They need to find a way to make the rooftop people happy or just give up. They should just buy them out.
    I collect: Marbury, Jordan, Kobe, D-Will, AI, Durantula
    Chicago Cubs, Giancarlo Stanton, Randy Moss, Minnesota Vikings
    MY SITE:Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

silly question. Do the cub get any proceeds from those roof top sales or do the property owning keep it all?
    Looking for Jerry Rice, Larry Fitzgerald, Marion Barber III, Kevin Love, and Joe Mauer. Please PM me for faster response.

Hidden Content

This seems just plain wrong
    Collector of:
    Twins (9 1/1s), Chris Herrmann (26%), Justin Morneau (just starting), Michael Cuddyer (also just starting),
    sets, Wild, North Stars
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Biggtyme View Post
    silly question. Do the cub get any proceeds from those roof top sales or do the property owning keep it all?
    They have a contract with the Rooftop owners that the owners pay the Cubs like 17% or something to keep an unobstructed view of the field. And I think it has about 10+ years left on said contract.
    I collect: Marbury, Jordan, Kobe, D-Will, AI, Durantula
    Chicago Cubs, Giancarlo Stanton, Randy Moss, Minnesota Vikings
    MY SITE:Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

To move the cubs out of wrigley field would be like spitting on the image of the game. Owners today are so damn greedy that they forget about the tradition of the game. If i were a cubs player and got moved out of wrigley i wouldnt want to play in chicago anymore. For young kids who are cubs fans the first chance at seeing wrigley is amazing. The stadium is about memories and games that you cant replace if you build a new stadium to make another ten million dollars a year. If you want all the money from the roofs buy the damn buildings and then advertise on the walls. Be creative or I am sure there are some higher executives that probally dont need to be paid 500 thousand a year to be doing something that baseball fans would give up a hand to do. Watch a game that they grew up with and love and be around that game.
    Collecting: Jim Thome, Cal Ripken Jr, Ken Griffey Jr, Tim Lincecum, Ichiro, Roy Halladay, Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Mike Trout.
    Looking For Specifically: 2011 Topps Sparkles SPs, 2011 Legendary SP, 2012 legendary SP, 2012 Topps short prints,
    Tradelist: Hidden Content