Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dotcomvalu's Items on eBay

Lowball and pressure tactics

Is it just me or does everybody want to lowball and pressure you into making a sale these days? It's happened a lot to me recently on another forum.

A couple examples:

1. Guy wants 2012 top QB RC autos way under the average Bay price. I say "sorry, no, I am not willing to sell for less than I paid and lose money. My lowest price is xx, or I will just keep the cards in my collection." He proceeds to send me multiple messages quoting the lowest Ebay completed auctions saying "this offer is fair for both of us, let's get it done quick". He tells me I am asking way too much and says I must need the money. Then he says "ok, I will pay xx if you throw in these 10 cards." Uh, no thanks, now you're pushing me to give away the house.

2. Guy wants 5 recent year RC auto cards for $7 delivered. After shipping and fees, I get maybe 60 cents a piece for cards that I posted for $3 each and which sell on Ebay for at least that. I quote my best price, and get several messages back which are all variations of "No, $7 is good for me, can't you do that?"

Seems like deals never work out with these folks anyway. Just a waste of time dealing with people who are very arrogant in their messages and ask me to do a deal after I tell them "no, xx is my best price". Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by huckler731; 05-06-2013 at 10:18 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jberry63093's Items on eBay

Couldn't agree with you more. And I also find that for some reason charging a buck or two for a game used or auto card is still too much for most people on this site. This hobby has turned into people making up their own prices for things based on almost nothing and expecting people selling their cards to just give them away. I'm just about done with the hobby, I've had enough!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

I had some guy on facebook offer me $2 for a Demar Derozan IP auto. He said that it's a fair price because Demar signs all the time. It's going to cost me $2 for the postage and the bubble mailer. If he signs so freely just get it yourself.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country

Couldn't agree with you more. And I also find that for some reason charging a buck or two for a game used or auto card is still too much for most people on this site. This hobby has turned into people making up their own prices for things based on almost nothing and expecting people selling their cards to just give them away. I'm just about done with the hobby, I've had enough!

So true. People will pay $5 a pack for base cards or $100 for a box with an autograph and 2 game used cards but a buck or two for game used and autographs is still too much for some reason.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Depending who the players are, a buck or two for a game used or auto is too much if they are no name or even semi decent in today's market. However, I do understand postage is involved.

Last edited by Ray33; 05-06-2013 at 04:33 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See sp0odini's Items on eBay

There are reasons I don't even attempt to sell nice cards on here anymore.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dscards33's Items on eBay

Depending who the players are, a buck or two for a game used or auto is too much if they are no name or even semi decent in today's market. However, I do understand postage is involved.

Well said. Simply, lower end GU and autos frequently sell for just a few dollars or less on auction sites like eBay. It doesn't make sense, from a buyer's perspective, to offer more to a member here when they could get the card for less elsewhere. Because of massive print runs and the seemingly endless number of products out there, RCs and base cards sell for even less, typically for less than a dollar from basic products. Although I think it's great that there are so many different products, sets, and variations out there, they skew supply and demand and have devalued the hobby.

Now, with that said, many times it simply isn't worth my time to sell an item for eBay prices. With what I paid for it and packaging and postage, I wouldn't break even on a lot of items if I accepted the lowest completed listing price on eBay. If a perspective buyer repeatedly sends me links of sold items on eBay demanding I lower my price to meet what it sold for weeks ago on the 'Bay, I simply tell them to buy it on eBay then, since it's not worth it to me to sell for that price.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jberry63093's Items on eBay

I should have specified my "buck or two" remark. I meant that I've had people tell me that they wouldn't give me more than a buck or two for an auto or game used of a good, star player that I should reasonable be able to fetch at least $4+ bucks for. It's only an extra few bucks but if I agree to let go of a game used card of a star for the price of shipping then it's just a complete loss.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dotcomvalu's Items on eBay

It's funny when the same user repeatedly messages me after I give my final price. He keeps telling me it is a fair price and quotes market price, research, and Ebay. He says he can get them cheaper on Ebay, but then why does he keep messaging me??? Then, he acts offended saying he was just trying to help me out because I need the money. Even though Ebay has higher fees and sometimes gets a bad rap, I have had success selling cards for higher prices on there than people offered on the forums. Much easier and no fuss - just post the cards, field offers if a Best Offer listing, and sell.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Is it just me or does everybody want to lowball and pressure you into making a sale these days? It's happened a lot to me recently on another forum.

A couple examples:

1. Guy wants 2012 top QB RC autos way under the average Bay price. I say "sorry, no, I am not willing to sell for less than I paid and lose money. My lowest price is xx, or I will just keep the cards in my collection." He proceeds to send me multiple messages quoting the lowest Ebay completed auctions saying "this offer is fair for both of us, let's get it done quick". He tells me I am asking way too much and says I must need the money. Then he says "ok, I will pay xx if you throw in these 10 cards." Uh, no thanks, now you're pushing me to give away the house.

2. Guy wants 5 recent year RC auto cards for $7 delivered. After shipping and fees, I get maybe 60 cents a piece for cards that I posted for $3 each and which sell on Ebay for at least that. I quote my best price, and get several messages back which are all variations of "No, $7 is good for me, can't you do that?"

Seems like deals never work out with these folks anyway. Just a waste of time dealing with people who are very arrogant in their messages and ask me to do a deal after I tell them "no, xx is my best price". Thanks for reading.

Bottomline, it's your card. If it books for $70 and you want $80 in return because you think it will go up the buyer/trader has too options:
    a)trade for the card they seem to want from you
    b)pass it up and buy it on ebay for that "lower price" that they seem to have the ability to track... or find another trader.

Problem is he obviously can't, who knows maybe that other card sold so cheap because the card was poor condition or it was one of those $12 s/h sneaks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast