Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Right in the story:
    "The group homes are licensed as nonprofits by the state and receive Medicaid funding on behalf of their clients"

Again, that comes up in the story:
    "Legal experts are watching the case closely as a test of the Americans With Disabilities Act, which says, in part, that 'a public entity shall make reasonable modifications in policies, practices, or procedures ... to avoid discrimination on the basis of disability'."

Seriously, did you read anything past the second paragraph? Do I need to post the whole thing again?

Now, as a state-sanctioned non-profit which receives government money on behalf of those living there, does it qualify as a "public entity". To me, that's going to be what it comes down to, but I read the story, so...

Good for you. You read the story. So did I. The difference is I am not having difficulty grasping the concept of if you sign away your rights you can not claim protection under those rights.

You might also want to try grasping the concept that there is no protection for mentally disabled people wanting to live together in the US Constitution.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Good for you. You read the story. So did I. The difference is I am not having difficulty grasping the concept of if you sign away your rights you can not claim protection under those rights.

You might also want to try grasping the concept that there is no protection for mentally disabled people wanting to live together in the US Constitution.

Really? So these homes could also turn these mentally disabled people into slaves then? I mean, they signed their rights away. Maybe, if one of them breaks a small rule, like curfew for example, they should be pistol whipped. Cruel and unusual punishment you say? Too bad, they signed their rights away.

That's the argument you're going with then?

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Oh, and Duane, they're MARRIED mentally disabled people. No need to focus on the lesser half of what these people are.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Really? So these homes could also turn these mentally disabled people into slaves then? I mean, they signed their rights away. Maybe, if one of them breaks a small rule, like curfew for example, they should be pistol whipped. Cruel and unusual punishment you say? Too bad, they signed their rights away.

That's the argument you're going with then?

No that is something ridiculous that you came up with to try and divert the discussion away from the facts.

Oh, and Duane, they're MARRIED mentally disabled people. No need to focus on the lesser half of what these people are.

If them being mentally impaired was the less important aspect of this discussion then they wouldn't need to live in a group home and this would not be a discussion. But I read the article so...
    Last edited by duane1969; 05-08-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

No that is something ridiculous that you came up with to try and divert the discussion away from the facts.

No, it is the point. You said they signed their rights away. So it's legal to beat the mentally ill if they live in a group home because they have no protection of rights under the law. That's the argument you've given me. You have to wait for a distractionary tactic before you call one out, Duane.

Do the mentally ill have protection of rights in any area, like for example, slavery laws? Cruel and unusual punishment? Wrongful confinement?

As you put it, "they signed their rights away" so they do not have any protection of any sort under law, as per what you said.

If them being mentally impaired was the less important aspect of this discussion then they wouldn't need to live in a group home and this would not be a discussion. But I read the article so...

Sorry, I figured you were focussin ONLY on the mentally ill part for reasons other than...why would you leave out married, Duane? By focussing on mentally ill, you dehumanize them. You make them something other than "normal". Many people do this to the mentally ill. They are NOT good people.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not understanding. If they were legally able to marry each other as consenting adults why can't they get a place of their own as consenting adults? These are the rules of the house they live in. If they don't want to abide by them they should leave.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Also, they do not need to make this so complicated. Move out of this place and move together to another place or to one of your parents home. No need to be going to court and spending a lot of money. I do not see the discrimination in here since they signed the paperwork agreeing to the conditions of living in those groups. If they are not legally capable of consenting to sex, they should not be legally capable of signing official documentation without a witness or an attorney.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Would they be capable of consentual sex with a lawyer and witness present?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Would they be capable of consentual sex with a lawyer and witness present?

Maybe...LOL...you know what I meant.

They are trying to use the argument that they are not ready for sex because of their mental condition but they were fine to do everything else.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I'm just thinking though, does that then mean they have the ability to infringe on any right, so long as it's in the agreement?
    In other words, if you failed to read the part about daily beatings and signed off, would it he legal to beat the mentally I'll?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

that would not be in the agreement, which is part of government regulations, at least in Ohio.

so no, they would not be beaten,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast