Thread: Ortiz and PED's

Ortiz and PED's

It seems like this topic comes up every single year. Why it does? Honestly I think people cant except a player who gets better as age comes. With maturity comes greater understanding of the game in my opinion. It is simple Ortiz has become a smarter and more disciplined hitter.. What is your take on Ortiz?
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Michael Pineda, Kyle Seager and Carlos Delgado

i like him
    have 4126 different cardinals cards
    Looking for dirt cheap cards of semi and star Rcs from 80s and 90s

He has failed tests in the past. That doesn't mean he isn't a good player, because he obivously is. Barry Bonds is one of the great talents to ever play the game.

It really isn't discussed every year but the reason why it has come up is because he failed a test in the past and since 2009 he has getting better while he has been aging. Why is he better know than when he was 33 and 34? Most players throughout the history of baseball don't get better with age without using something it seems. Though in his defense he is just playing DH and doesn't do anything the rest of the game so it isn't that grueling to sit on a bench for a couple of hours.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

His improvement has been more in terms of plate discipline than power IMO which does not really point to PED use. Take a look at his strikeout and walk percentages:
    2006 - age 30 season - 17.1% SO, 17.3% BB
    2007 - age 31 season - 15.4% SO, 16.6% BB
    2008 - age 32 season - 15.1% SO, 14.3% BB
    2009 - age 33 season - 21.4% SO, 11.8% BB
    2010 - age 34 season - 23.9% SO, 13.5% BB
    2011 - age 35 season - 13.7% SO, 12.9% BB
    2012 - age 36 season - 13.3% SO, 14.6% BB
    2013 - age 37 season - 14.7% SO, 5.9% BB (Small Sample Size still)

As you can see his worst seasons directly correspond to his worst plate discipline years and his numbers have risen back up again as his discipline improved. This does not seem like a PED issue to me

I've been saying it for years, I think just about every player uses PED's. So many players have retired and then said they used them for a long time, so clearly people do not get caught often. Players are given the choice of getting stronger and having a 1% chance of getting caught, or not using them and being at a huge disadvantage. I assume he uses them but I also assume my favorite players, like Cano, Jeter, Tex, and CC use them. Even if news broke that he was using them, I would have no problem with that.

Players naturally loose strength, speed, and agility as they age, but they also gain baseball knowledge. That being said, overall once they hit ~32 they start to get worse overall, and it takes a great amount of knowledge and ability to be able to play well at that age. Regardless of if he is using PED's, he is a very talented player

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan1324 View Post
    I've been saying it for years, I think just about every player uses PED's. So many players have retired and then said they used them for a long time, so clearly people do not get caught often. Players are given the choice of getting stronger and having a 1% chance of getting caught, or not using them and being at a huge disadvantage. I assume he uses them but I also assume my favorite players, like Cano, Jeter, Tex, and CC use them. Even if news broke that he was using them, I would have no problem with that.

Players naturally loose strength, speed, and agility as they age, but they also gain baseball knowledge. That being said, overall once they hit ~32 they start to get worse overall, and it takes a great amount of knowledge and ability to be able to play well at that age. Regardless of if he is using PED's, he is a very talented player
    You think some of these guys used them and you call yourself a Yankees fan? I'm sorry, but if Derek Jeter used steroids, then baseball is doomed forever. Not only is he the face of the sport, he is the face of all professional sports in general. He is what you want your son or daughter to be. Not only him, but Sabathia? I can handle having your suspicions about Tex and Cano, but not CC and Jeter. I, for one, am fully convinced that Cano has used PEDs. He has been linked to several suspicious names, including one of the trainers that Melky Cabrera used.

I'm not going to pretend they don't cheat just because I am a fan. Jeter is they most likely out of those because of his body shape and style of play. I would be shocked if CC didn't use them, he seems to never miss a start and in the playoffs can skip ahead in the rotation. PEDs help pitchers arms after they pitch, so his quick recovery is a good sign he is using them. I am almost positive Cano, Tex, and Arod are using them, and I also would not be shocked if most of the team used them. It isn't really a hard decision, you can either play fair, or you can get stronger, recover from injuries faster, help your arm feel better, and hit more HRs and run the slight risk of getting caught by the MLB or going to jail. Any player would be dumb to hurt his chance to be a star player to follow some mainly unenforced rules and laws