Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (21)
    Country

Smile Card Shop Owners and Collectors...Questions for you

Kinda been wanting to do this for awhile now, but with it being the new year, I would kinda like to try and have a real mini card shop online. I tried this some time ago, but didnt know wht I was really doing, but now I want to try this again, and I have a few questions before I start. I have a site set up already, it just needs to have a few things redone.

Anyway, here are a couple questions to start:

Card Shop Owners...What products or items sell the best? Keep in mind this will be sports cards only, with 95% being baseball and football

Collectors...What do you buy that you would like to see a card shop sell or have as inventory?

Thanks all :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

A good selection of current boxes at decent prices...

SCF Rewards
    Country

What darkshadowdog said except would want packs as well as boxes at good prices.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jimmy-v-cardboard's Items on eBay

@hammy

The sad thing about packs (and not saying you would do this or the seller would) is they are searchable. I would find the pack sales especially online a higher gamble and would not purchase. Thats just me.

I would like to see online sales that stay consistent with price and not go up just because of the collectability of the cards that MIGHT be in there go up. When the lottery payout increases the lottery tickets do not increase in price. If a box of cards in 2011 is $50 in 2013 they should be $50 unless of course the owner wants them to be on sale and move them for inventory purposes. Just because a card might be in there valued at $100 does not mean the price should go up.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

A good variety of singles at great prices.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Country

@hammy

The sad thing about packs (and not saying you would do this or the seller would) is they are searchable. I would find the pack sales especially online a higher gamble and would not purchase. Thats just me.

I would like to see online sales that stay consistent with price and not go up just because of the collectability of the cards that MIGHT be in there go up. When the lottery payout increases the lottery tickets do not increase in price. If a box of cards in 2011 is $50 in 2013 they should be $50 unless of course the owner wants them to be on sale and move them for inventory purposes. Just because a card might be in there valued at $100 does not mean the price should go up.

Thats just supply and demand. So on the flip side, you are saying that if a product comes out at $80/box and tanks, that the dealers shouldn't lower their price either?

OPG Storefront Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New England Patriots Boston Bruins Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @patriotsguy See patriots_football_guy's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale
    Member is PayPal Verified

Sealed boxes, supplies (top loaders etc.), god selection of singles. If your just staying with BB and FB then I would suggest the other 5% should be stars in BKB and Hockey of your area teams.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jimmy-v-cardboard's Items on eBay

Thats just supply and demand. So on the flip side, you are saying that if a product comes out at $80/box and tanks, that the dealers shouldn't lower their price either?

No I covered that in "wants them to be on sale and move them for inventory purposes." Obviously if the product tanks it wont move at its current price so they can lower the price or they can keep it at its current price. The stock has to be rotated regardless just like any other market (cars, food, clothes, video games), the business model should take that into consideration.

I cant see stores hoping that a product has a certain collectability and stocking up on it to hopefully sell it at a higher price later. So they buy inventory based on their sales predictions at the time they buy said inventory.

Of course I do not run a card store. Someone asked what I wanted to see in a store and that is what I want.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jerseycoastcollectibles's Items on eBay

It is extemely difficult to turn a profit if you are going to sell wax. (Boxes, packs, cases, etc) Take into consideration that you will be competing against the online big boys (Blowout, D&A, Atlanta, etc). Who sell at ridiculous low prices. Selling singles, and supplies would be my suggestion. We do fairly well selling singles, and we do very well selling supplies.

Just my two cents...

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Bench (21)
    Country

Thanks for all the great responses.

Any one else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast