Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See coachnat37's Items on eBay

The Double RC Class is Coming..

With Upper Deck's new images promoting the upcoming double rookie class, what are your thoughts?

Upper Deck Promo Images: http://tinyurl.com/UDPromos

- Will this class be similar to 05/06?
    - How will this affect the hobby market?
    - Who will be the SP's /99 in The Cup(2013/14)?

Just some food for thought!

Feel free to comment your thoughts below!

SCF Rewards
    Country

To me it means ill be able to catch up on older stuff while everyone is distracted =)
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

- Will this class be similar to 05/06?
    - How will this affect the hobby market?
    - Who will be the SP's /99 in The Cup(2013/14)?

Similar to 05/06 ? Yes, though not the same. 05/06 had a double class join the NHL that year, where as 12/13 is going to have cards of Rookies from two different season. Next year's has the possibility of having even more. They will market the heck of it though. It should mean less 'scrub' players though (though I would imagine a couple of sets will still go crazy with 150-200 RCs).

How will this affect the market? I would imagine by Upper Deck & Panini raising prices on most their products (recoup revenues they didn't make this year) despite selling us essentially the same thing.

Who will the SP'd rookies be in The Cup? If I had to guess, UD will tripple the number of /99s (get them closer to being a case hit) so that means you're going to get anyone nominated for the Calder, and anyone drafted in the top 5 from both years. Anyone with a bit of hype. From the 12/13s, I expect all of Yakupov, Huberdeau, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Schultz, Conacher, & Hamilton to get RCs /99, and they'll find just as many from next year's class.

I know Upper Deck's product lineup much better than I do Panini's. As a result, I'll use them as an example here.....

What I would do, spread the rookies out. Early season releases, only use 12-13 RCs (UD Series 1, Black Diamond, Trilogy) Mid Season Releases, use the new 13-14 guys (UD Series 2, SP Game Used, SPx), and the late season / higher end ones use both (SPA, Ultimate, The Cup). That still leaves two sets..... OPC & Artifacts (both early season). Artifacts I imagine will have live RCs of the 12-13 players, and the 13-14 guys will be redemptions. OPC.... live with the 12-13s, and maybe an update set later in the season with the 13-14.

If UD & Panini followed a formula like that, I think they'd keep the values on a lot of the 12-13 guys higher. Yakupov, unless he's owning the league next year, is not going to get near the hobby love he would have this year - if his cards are being released at that same time as Nathan MacKinnon (for example). It will also mean that the sets coming out in January will have a lot of anticipation behind them, becuase that's when the first live 13-14 RCs would be.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Sean I do believe that UD is following that exact formula for Trilogy and OPC. Both are out before the dawn of the 2013-14 NHL season and the previews indicate that they're going to have a lot of fun with SP's on the top guns from this past season. I also really like the suggestion of splitting UD1 & UD2 Young Guns.
    Last edited by RGM81; 05-14-2013 at 01:18 PM.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

It wouldn't suprise me to see the return of Rookie update to address the RC numbers issue.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Probably a good chance of this.

It wouldn't suprise me to see the return of Rookie update to address the RC numbers issue.

Quote Originally Posted by RGM81
    I also really like the suggestion of splitting UD1 & UD2 Young Guns.

I think that's the best thing they could do.

My count may be a little bit off, but I think there's been 125 players this year, that would be eligable for RCs next season (that includes guys that played RS games, Playoff Games, Backups who didn't get onto the Ice).

Can already start guessing the UD Series 1 YG list:

Viktor Fasth
    Emerson Etem
    Dougie Hamilton
    Ryan Spooner
    Carl Soderberg
    Mikhail Grigorenko
    Mark Pysyk
    Roman Cervenka
    Max Reinhart
    Ryan Murphy
    Jared Staal
    Jamie Oleksiak
    Damien Brunner
    Justin Schultz
    Nail Yakupov
    Jonathan Huberdeau
    Drew Shore
    Quinton Howden
    Tyler Toffoli
    Mikael Granlund
    Jonas Brodin
    Alex Galchenyuk
    Brendan Gallagher
    Jarred Tinordi
    Nathan Beaulieu
    Taylor Beck
    Daniel Bang
    Filip Forsberg
    Joonas Rask
    Stefan Matteau
    Eric Gelinas
    Thomas Hickey
    Christian Thomas
    Eric Gryba
    Scott Laughton
    Tye McGinn
    Chris Brown
    Beau Bennett
    Matt Irwin
    Vladimir Tarasenko
    Cory Conacher
    Richard Panik
    Mike Kostka
    Leo Komarov
    Jordan Schroeder
    Philipp Grubauer
    Broick Nelson
    Calvin Pickard
    Jack Campbell
    Checklist

Something like that, anyway. Going to make both halves of the set very nice. You can cherry pick the best of group (forgive me if I missed someone I should have included there, being part of the "top 49 names" from this past season). Normally Series 1 is a bunch of holdovers from the year before (half, or more of the series is like that) with most of the stars / big names. Series 2 comes along, and they save a couple of decent names for it.... but for the most part, it'll be a bunch of guys that most of us have never heard of. Don't need to use the one-game-wonders nearly as often (though as an Oilers collector, I do hope I'll see at least one RC of Mark Arcobello next year, lol)
    Last edited by 30ranfordfan; 05-14-2013 at 01:22 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dude0100's Items on eBay

Here's the double rookie class video I made for the UD Volunteer Alliance:
    Last edited by AlexTheGr8; 05-14-2013 at 05:59 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See miscs75's Items on eBay

Probably a good chance of this.

I think that's the best thing they could do.

My count may be a little bit off, but I think there's been 125 players this year, that would be eligable for RCs next season (that includes guys that played RS games, Playoff Games, Backups who didn't get onto the Ice).

Can already start guessing the UD Series 1 YG list:

Viktor Fasth
    Emerson Etem
    Dougie Hamilton
    Ryan Spooner
    Carl Soderberg
    Mikhail Grigorenko
    Mark Pysyk
    Roman Cervenka
    Max Reinhart
    Ryan Murphy
    Jared Staal
    Jamie Oleksiak
    Damien Brunner
    Justin Schultz
    Nail Yakupov
    Jonathan Huberdeau
    Drew Shore
    Quinton Howden
    Tyler Toffoli
    Mikael Granlund
    Jonas Brodin
    Alex Galchenyuk
    Brendan Gallagher
    Jarred Tinordi
    Nathan Beaulieu
    Taylor Beck
    Daniel Bang
    Filip Forsberg
    Joonas Rask
    Stefan Matteau
    Eric Gelinas
    Thomas Hickey
    Christian Thomas
    Eric Gryba
    Scott Laughton
    Tye McGinn
    Chris Brown
    Beau Bennett
    Matt Irwin
    Vladimir Tarasenko
    Cory Conacher
    Richard Panik
    Mike Kostka
    Leo Komarov
    Jordan Schroeder
    Philipp Grubauer
    Broick Nelson
    Calvin Pickard
    Jack Campbell
    Checklist

Something like that, anyway. Going to make both halves of the set very nice. You can cherry pick the best of group (forgive me if I missed someone I should have included there, being part of the "top 49 names" from this past season). Normally Series 1 is a bunch of holdovers from the year before (half, or more of the series is like that) with most of the stars / big names. Series 2 comes along, and they save a couple of decent names for it.... but for the most part, it'll be a bunch of guys that most of us have never heard of. Don't need to use the one-game-wonders nearly as often (though as an Oilers collector, I do hope I'll see at least one RC of Mark Arcobello next year, lol)

Hopefully they use photos of Grybas shoulder in Ellers chest as his card photo just for Mr. Bettman.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators
    See atmx093's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I don't think the talent pool for this upcoming double class is anywhere near as intense as 05-06 was, but it's gonna get hyped that way for sure. UD's money hole must be running so dry that they're gonna make sure everyone and their grandma "feel" the hype.

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if products got watered down like 05-06 did. 05-06 SPA anyone?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wouldn't be one bit surprised if products got watered down like 05-06 did. 05-06 SPA anyone?

05-06 SPA wasn't that it was watered down, it's that a bunch of stuff wasn't even packed out into the 05-06 boxes. Numerous big hits from 05-06 SPA were found in boxes of 06-07. That whole Wave 1 and Wave 2 thing was one of the biggest disasters I've seen in the hobby.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast