Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New York Rangers Toronto Blue Jays
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Need Help Identifying this Card

I have this 1998-99 Marc Savard card that I need help identifying. There are four versions of this card listed in the SCF inventory, base, gold reserve, exclusive (/100) and exclusives 1 of 1. Based on the gold border on the front and the words UD Exclusives on the back, I think it is an Exclusives 1 of 1, but it is unnumbered. Is his is an Exclusives 1 of 1? Has anyone seen other unnumbered cards from this set? Is in possible that this card is either a promo or a replacement card from UD? Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

1998-99 Upper Deck Gold Reserve.

Gold Reserve was the same issue as the regular Upper Deck, it just had gold foil edges, while the Upper Deck had silver ones.

This is not a parallel of the Upper Deck Set, just an alternative issue. It''s card pricing is also higher by BV. I'm not sure if there were less Gold Reserve made, as I don't have any data on total case production numbers from that year.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The card in the picture is definitely not Gold Reserve, which has a gold foil tint to the entire front of the card:(http://www.comc.com/Cards/Hockey/199..._Savard/312377)

BANNED

Country

Yes it's a Gold Reserve, This particular card is the UD Exclusives Short Print, but I'm not sure why there is no serial number on it All Upper Deck Cards that were printed in this year have some sort of Serial Number identification, this one does not.

In terms of the Issue? It's a Gold Reserve and nothing but.

Send the scan to Upper Deck, let them tell you why there is no identifying serial number. It just might be an ERR card.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yes it's a Gold Reserve, This particular card is the UD Exclusives Short Print, but I'm not sure why there is no serial number on it All Upper Deck Cards that were printed in this year have some sort of Serial Number identification, this one does not.

In terms of the Issue? It's a Gold Reserve and nothing but.

Send the scan to Upper Deck, let them tell you why there is no identifying serial number. It just might be an ERR card.

Are their exclusive parallels to the gold reserve cards? I thought that there were only exclusives in Upper Deck itself not in Gold Reserve as well. My card looks like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-99-Uppe...item5656c56b29 which is graded and identified as 1998-99 Upper Deck Exclusive 1 of 1.
    Last edited by mingus_md; 05-28-2013 at 10:51 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Are their exclusive parallels to the gold reserve cards? I thought that there were only exclusives in Upper Deck itself not in Gold Reserve as well.

You were on the right track initially. Card is indeed an unnumbered/replacement stock exclusive 1/1 from regular UD and has nothing to do with Gold Reserve.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

My answer: "I don't know". I can tell you what it is not though....

This is what the Upper Deck Exclusives should look like:

This is what the Upper Deck Gold Reserve should look like:

and this is what the base card should look like:

Your card doesn't look like any of those three. It's most similar to the base, but with a different border.

I will also admit, I might have the scans on the exclusives / gold reserve mixed up. The exclusives are serial numbered /100, I will double check when I'm at home tonight that I have it right (or maybe someone else will confirm before then?).

Your card does look like the one in the eBay link - but I've never knowingly layed eyes on the 1-of-1 version (unless you could that eBay auction) so I'm not going to pretened like I know the answer.

Maybe drop a note to the seller, and ask him if his card is serial numbered? I'm just surprised that UD wouldn't have put the 1/1 label on those cards.

If it was supposed to be serial numbered (and maybe it wasn't??) is it possible that its some kind of promo card?? (Though I'd be surprised to learn that Marc Savard was used on a promo card back then...... though stranger things have happened).
    Last edited by 30ranfordfan; 05-28-2013 at 11:09 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

My answer: "I don't know". I can tell you what it is not though....

This is what the Upper Deck Exclusives should look like:

This is what the Upper Deck Gold Reserve should look like:

and this is what the base card should look like:

Your card doesn't look like any of those three. It's most similar to the base, but with a different border.

Pics are reversed. The exclusives /100 had the bronze border.

BANNED

Country

The copper card is not a Gold Reserve Base colour. The Gold one is. I have about 400 of them.

Last edited by centrehice; 05-28-2013 at 11:24 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

The copper card is not a Gold Reserve Base colour. The Gold one is. I have about 400 of them

A simple look at the OP would show you his card does not have the gold finish to the photo that gold reserve base cards have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast