Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mr13711's Items on eBay

Can someone please explain the difference between a SP and SSP?

I know SP means Short Print and SSP means Super Short Print, but what defines them? Are these relative terms, or are there actual requirements cards have to meet to fall into these categories? I'm just asking, because I always see SPs and SSPs on eBay ... do these sellers actually check to see if what they have really is a short print, or is it just anything less than a common?

Thanks,
    Justin W.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It is basically all relative. SP might be a card that is in every couple of packs and sell for a few dollars while a SSP might be once in a case or rarer and sell for $100-$1000.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Gotcha ... just wondering. With all the SPs I've seen on eBay, I was beginning to wonder what a common card was.

Thanks,
    Justin

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (323)
    Country
    See nuhusker24's Items on eBay

however you have to be careful because many sellers will list them as sp when they infact are not. lots of time just a gimmick to get your attention. to me a card that is one in four packs is not an sp yet many will list it that way.

SCF Rewards
    Country

however you have to be careful because many sellers will list them as sp when they infact are not. lots of time just a gimmick to get your attention. to me a card that is one in four packs is not an sp yet many will list it that way.

That's what I was thinking. IMO, maybe I'm wrong, but I think a true SP should have a definite print run. I think (and once again, this is just me trying to rationalize things - I hate when things are relative, especially when I'm trying to keep everything simple) cards with a print run of less than 1,000 should be considered a Short Print while cards of less than 100 should be SSPs.

Once again, this is just me trying to reason with something (I'd probably have better luck counting stars in the sky or playing in the Olympics) that isn't black and white. I know there are also tons of reasons why SPs and SSPs can be defined with any true scientific value. Total amount of cards printed, year of printing and the demand for the actual card have to be considered before one could really call a card a Short Print. Like you said, it really is a gimmick when you think about it - I mean, some inserts come 1 in 4 packs.

Justin

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't know if you guys saw my other thread, but I have a 1/1 Marshawn Lynch 2012 Panini Championship Ticket. Although, I have no real interest in parting with the card, seeing the 1/1 definitely made me super curious. I'm not the kind of guy who buys cards and sell them for a quick buck (not that that's a bad thing, I just don't have the business skills and know-how to be successful at it). Anyway, I'll just cut to the chase ... Since there is only one card in existence, and grading sites don't have it valued, how does one value the card and establish its worth? Once again, I don't want to upset anybody ... I'm not getting rid of the card, I just want to know if the card is worth anything, or is it just as valuable as the Base Card it parallels?

Thanks,
    Justin W.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

my knowledge is all relative to hockey and golf, however, generally I usually look to eBay for other 1/1's that have sold that are similar to the card. Currently nothing very close on eBay, but I'd keep checking. Or perhaps ask a Lynch collector on the boards for a ball park SV.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Athletics
    COMC Cards For Sale

That's what I was thinking. IMO, maybe I'm wrong, but I think a true SP should have a definite print run. I think (and once again, this is just me trying to rationalize things - I hate when things are relative, especially when I'm trying to keep everything simple) cards with a print run of less than 1,000 should be considered a Short Print while cards of less than 100 should be SSPs.

Once again, this is just me trying to reason with something (I'd probably have better luck counting stars in the sky or playing in the Olympics) that isn't black and white. I know there are also tons of reasons why SPs and SSPs can be defined with any true scientific value. Total amount of cards printed, year of printing and the demand for the actual card have to be considered before one could really call a card a Short Print. Like you said, it really is a gimmick when you think about it - I mean, some inserts come 1 in 4 packs.

Justin

not always.

in allen and ginter the short prints #300 - 330 are not #'d but are short prints. also in topps they insert short prints like topps 2011 bob gibson, and mccovey etc. and those arent #'d either. it just depends on the product. get to know the product your looking for.

baseballcardpedia is pretty good as a refference on stuff like that.

SCF Rewards
    Country

There have been SP and DP cards for decades in baseball. They are all based off of the set they are from for the print run. Some card can be a SP from 1990 Donruss and have 500,000 cards printed for it while something from a game used set from Upper Deck Sweet Spot could be SP to 5. Most of the time the card companies will NOT give out print runs for cards unless they are numbered. Before they weren't so bad about it but they stopped doing it and Beckett stopped asking so people just speculate now.

BANNED

Blog Entries
    Country
    Twitter: @Varietyofcards See Weekendwarriorsportscards's Items on eBay

Hey man for that Lynch card I'd beg to say it may have a kind of "wide" value range. Because the card market this day is so complex, prices tend to jump around. What you'de hope for is to connect to two or more people coming at it with strong demand and then the sky is the limit. So it's tough to say overall and I haven't done any general online card research lately (eBay or here) to be of more help.

Lovett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast