Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Cardstock Question!

SCF Graphics

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See dnjcards's Items on eBay

Cardstock Question!

Hey i'm looking to buy thick cardstock, like the thickness of a patch card. What would the weight of this thickness of cardstock be, does anyone know?

SCF Graphics

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Anyone?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tsk20a2's Items on eBay

idk, my guess would be to buy a thick poster board and cut it down to trading card size. I don't know the exact weight or thickness though.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've never found card stock that thick at a normal store. Also...it would likely not print on a regular inkjet or home printer. I just get regular card stock from Staples/Walmart....it's 65 lbs I believe. It would be nice if it was thicker but what I do is that I glue the front and back of the card togethet but I put a cut-out piece of cereal box (slightly smaller than the size of the two cards to prevent the edges from showing) and this gives your card a nice rigidity so it doesn't bend so easy.

I've also used those thicker decoy cards but ran out of those though I'm sure some member if you ask here will send you some in case you don't have any lying around. Use scrapbook glue or an adhesive glue runner/dot glue to hold it together.

SCF Graphics

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The thing is a I use the thinner stuff daily for just base thickness cards but i need something sturdy for jersey and patch cards and the problem i've found with decoys is they dont have even sides and the corners are usually dinged so when i apply the pictures it doesn't look good. I dont need it for printing on i need it for applying the pictures onto. I'm basically looking for sheets of decoys that i can cut down to the size i need

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See tsk20a2's Items on eBay

Brings me back to what I was mentioning. Any arts and crafts store should carry these sheets of poster board. I've seen some as thick as 2 patch cards put together. Its pretty rigid. The middle is made of foam and the outsides look like poster board. I have no idea what they called these. I'll have to check next time I go to Ben Franklin.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If the sides on the decoy card aren't perfect then what you should do is make your custom slightly bigger so that it's a bit over the decoy card by a millimeter or so from each side.

I have gotten one perfect edged decoy...someone included it as a protector when I bought some cards though I don't know where they got it from. The other decoy cards I got looked like they were cut by hand and not perfect edges but this one was. I think you should try going into each forum and requesting perfectly edged decoys.

I don't usually use these though because I send my customs through the mail for TTM and when the envelope is a bit thicker then I know you can have problems. I've never sent a TTM request down south but the US service might be more strict about it if the standard sized envelope doesn't bend at all from a certain part..

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens

Art stores cary different thickness of boards.
    The one with foam in the middle is called foam core boards... don't use that, since the foam can easily "depress". It makes large dent on the card...
    You can easily find different boards up to 48''x48'' in art store
    An other kind of store that you could find really good boards is comic shops. The white board they use to put inside collector bags to protect the comics is really heavy and white.
    I use that since I have an account with the distributor and buy in cases of back boards. I buy "ComicCare" boards, but UltraPro have some to
    http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-Curr...d_sim_sbs_op_6
    http://www.cosmix.ca/view_item.php?i=NTM5 (this is what I buy : 8.5x11)
    Advantage, you are sure there is no acid in the board, better conservation, you have one matte and one soft gloss side, so deppending of the project you glue on either side, cuts weel, make tremendous edges!!!
    If someone want a pack, I can make it at 10$ for a 50 boards + shipping

SCF Graphics

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Thanks to the three of you for the help i appreciate it a ton!