Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Michigan Wolverines Seattle Seahawks
    Twitter: @kylemclaren7 See kydollarsign's Items on eBay Instagram:

Idea to stop patch/swatch faking

I'm sure someone has thought of this, but I haven't read it anywhere so I figure I may as well see what other people think. Why don't the card companies take a little picture of the swatch the place on the card, and put it the back of the card? Right where they print the COA part of the card, that way everyone knows what the swatch looked like when the card was printed.

If that would be too time consuming, just put a code on the back of every card (like what UD have now, but something on a memorabilia specific portion of the manufacturers website or something) and scan the card after the patch is stuck on it at the factory, and link the scan to that code so if you get that card (or want to sell that card) you can verify that it was real!

Hopefully you read these ideas as I thought of them, because I got a little wordy in my head and had to shorten it up haha, but what do you guys think??

SCF Rewards
    Country

The idea of having a picture on the back of the card wouldn't work out unless UD put some huge hours of work into it. They'd need to make an individual printing plate for each card (because each one would have a different swatch and serial number), and that's a very unrealistic hope.

However, Panini tried this interesting thing of putting a piece of authentification inside the actual card. To my knowledge it has only been done in non-hockey related products (the video is of a football card) but perhaps we'll see this for NHL cards as well.

-Ethan

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

yeah that would cost them a fortune to have that many printing plates. The only thing that they have a chance of doing is uploading more pictures of the cards before they are released, but that would cost additional money too, and would delay the products most likely.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'm sure someone has thought of this, but I haven't read it anywhere so I figure I may as well see what other people think. Why don't the card companies take a little picture of the swatch the place on the card, and put it the back of the card

The other problem with this is that (I believe) the card backs are printed before the swatches are inserted.

One sure-fire way to stop patch fraud would be to have a small/thin security strip (paper or sting) run across the center of the swatch. This would make it very difficult to remove/replace the swatch without breaking the strip. One downside is that it collectors may not like the way it looks.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See silverdollarcards's Items on eBay

I think we should insert a tiny vile of police die behind the patch so when it is removed, WHAMMO police die all over the card and fraudster!!! In all seious tho A nice photo database needs to be kept by the card companies.

Mike

SCF Rewards
    Country

I think we should insert a tiny vile of police die behind the patch so when it is removed, WHAMMO police die all over the card and fraudster!!! In all seious tho A nice photo database needs to be kept by the card companies.

Mike

How about special card-sniffing dogs that would be trained in figuring out if a jersey swatch has actually been worn by the player himself or if it's just a fake swatch? I don't know, it seems like a great idea to me. Just kidding.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kessel_fan_87's Items on eBay

I like the idea of a data base with photos

SCF Rewards
    Country

Can't say I thought of all the diff printing plates they'd need to create, complete oversightment on my part. I do like what Panini did in that video, but there needs to be something simpler so that when you are buying/trading online you can tell. It might be time consuming for someone to take a scan of the new cards after they get a swatch on them and post online what serial number of the card has that swatch, but these companies aren't exactly poor... hire a couple students who need money and would rather work with cards than McDonald's.

Another idea, maybe just take one big pic of the swatches youre gonna paste on the cards, put the serial number that swatch will be (like a big bristol board presentation, idc tbh, just show everyone what swatch you used), put it on a website and call it a day. It can be as crude as possible i dont think anyone would care at all

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kessel_fan_87's Items on eBay

How often does jersey faking happen? (Not talking about patches at the moment). I have a couple sweet jersey peices and wondered if there legit.

SCF Rewards
    Country

How often does jersey faking happen? (Not talking about patches at the moment). I have a couple sweet jersey peices and wondered if there legit.

I would say 1/5th the amount of fake patches there are.... but keep in mind there are waaaaaaaaay more than 5x the amount of jerseys compared to patches... jersey faking is deff not a big problem compared to patches

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast