Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1952 Topps PSA Graded Set PC Project

A few months ago I started a PC project to assemble a PSA graded 1952 Topps baseball set. I am hoping to eventually assemble the 407 card basic set (red backs only). I understand that this will probably take many years to complete...but every project begins with a single card. So, I have been looking around and trying to work on this set slowly. In the last few months I have purchased 8 cards (still waiting on 3 to arrive)...but I have 5 in hand. For the most part, all commons...but I'm starting slow and learning about the set before I invest any big money. Plus, I have a whole lifetime to do that.

The goal is PSA 4-6 grades. Centering is more important to me than the grade. I would rather find a nicely center PSA 4 with good eye appeal than a OC PSA 6.

Here are the five I have in hand currently:

As I add cards to this collection, I will add posts to this thread to display them.
    Thanks for looking!
    Tony Graziani Collection: 44/49, Autos: 11/13, GU: 2/2
    Have You Seen This Card: 1999 Upper Deck Encore F/X Gold #11 Tony Graziani 1/1
    1967 Topps FB Set: 132/132 - Complete
    1994 UD Collector's Choice Gold FB Set: 384/384 - Complete

Good Luck! That will be an extremely difficult set to build
    Luis Gonzalez Collection: 878/3061 = 28.68%
    US ARMY: 2005 - 2013
    OEF-P: FEB 09 - SEP 09 & OCT 10 - OCT 11 / U.S. Contractor (OEF) 2013 - Present

Cam, best of luck with the set. Thinking about the cost of the high series cards makes me cringe.

If you haven't already done so, you might sign up on Net 54 baseball. The B/S/T boards are quite active, and there are a lot of '52 Topps cards that are sold there by reputable hobby enthusiasts. The level of vintage and pre-war knowledge on that forum is simply incredible.

When you get ready to start shopping for the Mantle, this is a must read: http://home.comcast.net/~52mantle/52toppsmantlefake.htm There's some great information there about the counterfeits that have been printed, and what to look for. If you ever have questions about the authenticity of a card you've bought, the guys at Net 54 are great for helping out. They routinely "police" the market, alerting each other when they see something questionable come up. In fact, just last night, one of the members helped out a fake '52 Topps Mantle PSA 5. Another member found the exact same card sold previously at auction on card target, and there were several visible differences.

You can also find some beautiful graded '52 Topps at various auction houses. My favorite is Robert Edwards Auctions. They're doing a second auction in the fall, around October 19th or so per Dean Faragi, who is REA's auction director. Everything I've read about their customer service has been outstanding. You can still get their latest catalog (which was for their May 18th, 2013 auction) by going here: http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/contact/index.html It's completely free. Trust me, if you're getting into vintage, you want one of these. It's 800 pages of baseball history. I spent almost a month solid reading it everyday, and I've learned a lot about the hobby. I'm saving up to buy a card or two at this next auction. Maybe you'll find a nice lot of '52 Topps in the next auction.

When you get new cards in, keep on scanning 'em. I love to look at them, and I'm sure other members will, too.
    Collecting pre-war, vintage and modern baseball cards.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

Wow... good luck with the 52 set! Totally second the plug for net54... great vintage site!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content (finally organized!) and Hidden Content
    Current Project: 2013 Golden Age Minis Master Set: 683/750 cards (91.1%)

SCF's Resident BOISE STATE Collector
    Matt Ware & Justin Cobbs Super Collector

Quote Originally Posted by jrlebert View Post
    Wow... good luck with the 52 set! Totally second the plug for net54... great vintage site!
    Ya, they really are. I wonder how many hours on average I spend between Net54 and SCF. I've really learned a lot about the hobby between the two forums.
    Collecting pre-war, vintage and modern baseball cards.
    Currently working on the T206 set, 1975 Topps, master collections of Roberto Clemente and Robin Yount.

Actually, "the 'stache" recommended that site to me some time ago and I have been there for a month or two. Not super active...but definitely reading and learning. It's a great vintage site.

A couple more came in the mail today...including the first Hall of Famer I have added to this set:

Here is another addition to this project. I missed out on a couple others on eBay recently (got outbid) but that's OK.

Are you going to add your 52 Topps graded counts to your signature line?
    Best of luck to yoy, I bought some 52s a while back and had a few of them graded (BGS).
    Is your plan to buy ungraded and send them in, or to purchase already graded?

Quote Originally Posted by mberger718 View Post
    Are you going to add your 52 Topps graded counts to your signature line?
    Best of luck to yoy, I bought some 52s a while back and had a few of them graded (BGS).
    Is your plan to buy ungraded and send them in, or to purchase already graded?
    I'm going to try and buy them graded...I have found in the past it's often more expensive to buy raw and submit. But, I will keep my eyes open for nice raw examples.

I should add it to my sign line. I just finished that 1994 gold set that's in there.

Here is my latest addition. I paid a little more than I wanted to with this one...but the colors are just amazing and I love the background.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast