Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Mariano Rivera Rookie?

Hey Guys,
    Pardon my ignorance (I'm strictly a hockey guy), but I was wondering; What's the best Mariano Rivera RC to own (cost wise vs. value) and what should I expect to pay for it raw vs. BGS 9.5? Also, is it better in Baseball to go BGS 9.5 or PSA 10? Does it mater? Or is there another company that I don't know of that's dominate with baseball?

I'm asking as I'm looking to add a Rivera RC to my PC, but I don't want to purchase the equivalent of his Pro-Set RC (For those of you who know hockey, you'll know what I'm talking about ) And finally, what would be the cheapest pack-pulled (read: Authentic), hard signed auto of his to purchase?

Thanks! And once again, pardon my ignorance, but I simply know zero about baseball cards.
    "I like chicken wings"
    -The Fat Man

Hidden Content

He only has one: 1992 Bowman

Don't know which graded version is better but with a white border and high print run compared to now I wouldn't pay that much for a high grade of it when you can easily pull a mint one from packs or buy a raw one
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

The 1992 Bowman is tied with the 1992 Fleer Procards card for his 3rd card. He wasn't a rookie until 1995, so I don't know why the Bowman is considered his rookie. There are a TON of them out there (800 PSA 10's, 1600 PSA 9's). It's also the ugliest Mariano Rivera card ever made. You can get a PSA 10 for about $200 any time you want.

It might be more than you want to spend but the best (and only true) rookie card he has is the 1990 Diamond Cards Tampa Yankees. PSA 10's go for $450-$500. But there are only 35 PSA 10's of them. If you want the "best" Mariano rookie card this is the one to get.

If you want a nice auto I would go for a 1996 Leaf Signature. Prices on these have gone up a lot but if you're patient you should be able to get a bronze version for $150-$175. You can also find some nice Panini autos for right around $100.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

1992 Bowman is THE Mariano Card. You know how the 93 SP is the Jeter RC that everyone knows about? Well 1992 Bowman is comparatively the same card for Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by forgerelli View Post
    The 1992 Bowman is tied with the 1992 Fleer Procards card for his 3rd card. He wasn't a rookie until 1995, so I don't know why the Bowman is considered his rookie. There are a TON of them out there (800 PSA 10's, 1600 PSA 9's). It's also the ugliest Mariano Rivera card ever made. You can get a PSA 10 for about $200 any time you want.

It might be more than you want to spend but the best (and only true) rookie card he has is the 1990 Diamond Cards Tampa Yankees. PSA 10's go for $450-$500. But there are only 35 PSA 10's of them. If you want the "best" Mariano rookie card this is the one to get.

If you want a nice auto I would go for a 1996 Leaf Signature. Prices on these have gone up a lot but if you're patient you should be able to get a bronze version for $150-$175. You can also find some nice Panini autos for right around $100.

Scott F
    BTW don't buy a PSA 9. Typically crossover to around an 8 for BGS or an 8.5 which are worth the same or less than raw. Stick with PSA 10 or BGS 9.5 or 10 if your going to buy graded.

Scott F
    Because it is his first card from a major manufacturer.

Most people always ignore minor league cards because I haven't met a collector that preferred a minor league card to a rookie card of a player save for a short fad with minor league cards in the late 90s and people who collect players in the over production era where rookies selling for under 10 cents.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

The 1992 Fleer Procards is also from a major manufacturer and came out at the same time as the Bowman. The 1992 Bowman is as common as dirt and no one can say it's a nice looking card.

I'm not going to argue about it though. The original poster asked what the best Mariano rookie is and in my opinion as a Mariano Rivera super collector the 1990 Diamond card is the best one by far.

Scott F
    Mariano Rivera Super Collector. Always buying rare Mo's - PSA's, Auto's, Patches, Printing Plates, or any other rare Mo's. I PAY MORE THAN ANYONE FOR MARIANO'S I NEED.

The 1992 Fleer Procards is also from a major manufacturer and came out at the same time as the Bowman. The 1992 Bowman is as common as dirt and no one can say it's a nice looking card.

I'm not going to argue about it though. The original poster asked what the best Mariano rookie is and in my opinion as a Mariano Rivera super collector the 1990 Diamond card is the best one by far.

Scott F
    No response to this:
    1992 Bowman is THE Mariano Card. You know how the 93 SP is the Jeter RC that everyone knows about? Well 1992 Bowman is comparatively the same card for Mo.

It may be common but it is THE mariano card.

Oh, sorry about that. Here's your response:

The 1993 SP Jeter is also the most valuable Jeter RC. The 1990 Diamond Mariano is the most valuable of his RC's. It is twice as valuable as the 1992 Bowman which I think makes a stronger case for it being the best Mariano Rivera rookie.

like I said earlier, it's just my opinion. Yours may be different.

Scott F

Oh, sorry about that. Here's your response:

The 1993 SP Jeter is also the most valuable Jeter RC. The 1990 Diamond Mariano is the most valuable of his RC's. It is twice as valuable as the 1992 Bowman which I think makes a stronger case for it being the best Mariano Rivera rookie.

like I said earlier, it's just my opinion. Yours may be different.

Scott F
    I just looked it up because I had never heard about it. Its him in a Tampa Yankees Uniform. Its a MINOR league card. It may be more valuable (in terms of sell value it looks like it is more valuable) BUT it is still a MINOR league card which can't be considered a Rookie.

It is more valuable but he is asking about ROOKIES not MINOR league cards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast