Unable to play, Hahn gets chance in front office

PHOENIX -- Cory Hahn was always a cerebral baseball player. As a kid, he and his father, Dale, would chat about things they would see while watching games together.

"Is that the lineup you'd use?" Dale would ask Cory. "What does that player do well?"

At the time, Dale hoped their conversations would help his immensely talented son on the field. He had no way of knowing it was actually an early form of job training for a career off the diamond.

Two years after he was paralyzed in just his third collegiate game at Arizona State and two weeks after the D-backs selected him in the 2013 First-Year Player Draft, Cory Hahn visited Chase Field on Friday with his family, touring the ballpark and meeting people in the organization for which he will eventually work.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/2013062151395296/
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!
    Want to see my tradelist type in doniceage under the Hidden Content .

Am I missing something here? Why would they draft a player who is paralyzed?

I looked him up and he went in the 34th round, was it just to honor or welcome him because a 34th round pick is nearly worthless?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesfan1324 View Post
    Am I missing something here? Why would they draft a player who is paralyzed?

I looked him up and he went in the 34th round, was it just to honor or welcome him because a 34th round pick is nearly worthless?
    It was more of a ceremonial pick. It was a tragedy what happened to him, the slide really doesnt look all that bad until the very end.

They drafted him with a "throw-away" pick to give him the lifelong brag "I got Drafted by a Pro Baseball Team" Plus he most likely had skill enough to get drafted to play for reals anyway.

It was a Local Good Samaritan Story. Good publicity for the Diamondbacks/Arizona State, plus they got an awesome employee with deep knowledge of the game- They are letting HIM choose what career path he wants within the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by PoseyBuster View Post
    It was more of a ceremonial pick. It was a tragedy what happened to him, the slide really doesnt look all that bad until the very end.

They drafted him with a "throw-away" pick to give him the lifelong brag "I got Drafted by a Pro Baseball Team" Plus he most likely had skill enough to get drafted to play for reals anyway.

It was a Local Good Samaritan Story. Good publicity for the Diamondbacks/Arizona State, plus they got an awesome employee with deep knowledge of the game- They are letting HIM choose what career path he wants within the organization.
    Thanks for posting a answer much appreciated.

d
    on
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!
    Want to see my tradelist type in doniceage under the Hidden Content .