Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions of ITG

SCF Rewards
    Country

Opinions of ITG

Hey Everybody,

I used to collect cards heavily as a kid back in the 80s. I sorta lost interest once I reached high school, but now that I'm in my 30s I'm getting back into it. I must say the hobby has changed a lot. Gone are the days where packs of cards could be found at any corner store. However when I visit a shop that sells cards, I have a hard time knowing where to even start.

One of the things I've started collecting are former Windsor Spitfires players. Guys like Adam Henrique, Taylor Hall, Zack Kassian, etc. I'm a big junior hockey (OHL) fan, so ITG's Heros And Prospects series seems like a logical choice for me.

What do you guys think of ITG? Are they worth collecting? Are ITG cards expected to increase in value much?

In my most recent Heros And Prospects Hobby Box, I received a Trios Game Used card from the Subway Super Series which includes game used swatches from Jonathan Drouin, Anthony Mantha and Nathan MacKinnon. This is a 'Silver' version /40 card. (1/40 to be specific). While these players seem to be can't miss prospects, does the lack of NHL licensing make a card like this worthless?

SCF Rewards
    Country

The Drouin/Mantha/MacKinnon card is licensed. The NHL has nothing to do with these three players at this time.

Brian Price

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Kessel_fan_87's Items on eBay

The future of are hobby is squarely in itg's hands. And they don't need no stinking licence IMO.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

ITG id probably the best card company that exists. Customer service is great and their products are the best bang for your buck. They also produce some of the nicest sets and have lots of HOF players as well as players not yet drafted that other companies cant make cards of. If you like the OHL then there is no question that ITG is the best!
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See ledeuxieme's Items on eBay

wow. i actually just wrote an article about itg on my blog this past weekend. check it out or check back in a week or so, there should be a lot of collectors chiming in on the subject.

http://thecardboardreview.blogspot.c...ame-cards.html

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Personally, I don't collect with future value in mind nor do I collect prospects, but I do know this........ITG has very succesfully carved out its place in the market with sets devoted to prospects, goalies and vintage players, all without the benefit of an NHL license. The cards IMO, are geared towards collectors rather than investors, meaning the supply actually dries up as time passes and cards disappear into PCs. That, if anything, usually results in the values going up. At least looking at the vintage players. 90%+ of the prospects in H&P will end up being worthless in re-sale value, just like 90%+ of the UD Young Guns.

You're not going to get that triple jersey card from any other company this year, nor any autos from McKinnon or Jones or McDavid.......

I'm not going to see a Toe Blake or Aurel Joliat memorabilia card from Panini or UD.........

It's all about what you're looking for, and if you're looking for OHL cards, then ITG is the brand for you........

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Great company that puts a lot of stock in the input and advise from its supporters. As a pro-hobby enthusiast, every company has strengths and weaknesses, things that some people enjoy and things that some people do not. The key to collecting is to find what makes you happy. If that's vintage memorabilia, if that's the future stars of tomorrow today, and solid customer service with interaction from the boss, ITG is a great venue for you to jump back into the hobby.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

YouTube Video Editor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See GHCHambone's Items on eBay

I mainly focus on collecting retired players, and I think ITG produces the best cards with vintage memorabilia. The lack of NHL license does not bother me at all. I also do not collect for future value, as this is a sure fire way to lose money no matter what company produces the card. I collect based on current enjoyment.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See reoddai002's Items on eBay

One of the things I've started collecting are former Windsor Spitfires players. Guys like Adam Henrique, Taylor Hall, Zack Kassian, etc. I'm a big junior hockey (OHL) fan, so ITG's Heros And Prospects series seems like a logical choice for me.

Are there even any other OHL sets out there other than team issued? You might not have much choice if you want to collect OHL level players

What do you guys think of ITG? Are they worth collecting? Are ITG cards expected to increase in value much?

ITG is a good company with excellent customer service. Some notable cards are things like "Made to order" cards (where you can send in the card and have a player of your choice made that you pick from a list. Basically, its creating your own personal card. ITG also has exclusive access to certain game used pieces of vintage players that you won't find in other sets. Their prices and seed rates for 'hit' cards are comparable to other companies. I'm not a fan of their base card design and some of their game used and auto card designs aren't that good either. Sometimes they do hit a home run though, but on average, their designs feel like the lowest quality when compared to UD and panini on average (check out the sketches of veterans from Heroes & Prospects). There are still plenty of good cards and some innovative stuff (check out their 3D cards from heroes & prospects). If you like the NHL though, you won't see any logos.

There is a market for the cards. Your maximum values won't hit as high as UD or Panini, but there are several solid sells.

As for increasing in value, what time frame are you looking at? I'd say in the past 8 years, about 99% of cards have dropped precipitously in value. probably 0.9% have kept their value and 0.1% have increased. Maybe less. It all depends on the set and the player and many many factors. There's so much over production compared to the 80's that its not a comparison at all. In 79, Gretzky had one RC. In 05-06 Crosby had 20 with various autographs and game used pieces. Will all 20 go up in value or keep their value? who knows?

In my most recent Heros And Prospects Hobby Box, I received a Trios Game Used card from the Subway Super Series which includes game used swatches from Jonathan Drouin, Anthony Mantha and Nathan MacKinnon. This is a 'Silver' version /40 card. (1/40 to be specific). While these players seem to be can't miss prospects, does the lack of NHL licensing make a card like this worthless?

Not worthless. In fact until NHL licensed cards are released, its a good card to have. Check out eBay for recent sales. Even after NHL cards are released, people want cards of specific players and quality players. As long as they remain good, that card will be valuable.

Cheers,
    reoddai

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not my cup of tea, but they most definitely have their hard core followers. For me, I don't like the cards because I find them to be boring with the same look year after year. But there are collectors who seem to enjoy the consistency. Personally, I think I've purchased about a total of 3 boxes over the past 10 years and I've not enjoyed any of them (Every once in while I say to myself, "This looks interesting..." and then BOOM! "Nope, I was mistaken.")

I avoid any and all ITG because they were the biggest jerks I've ever experienced in my life as a customer. And before anyone jumps in and says, "But why!??!" It was around 10 years ago and the long story short is I got seriously stiffed on a box (It was for their ITG BAP 1 auto/pack boxes back in the day. I opened the box and only 1 in 4 packs had auto's in them). So I provided ITG with the receipt of the purchased box and the box packaging itself (For the UPC code, etc). The shop owner I opened the box in front of even called ITG on my behalf, sent a letter, etc., and ITG said, "Sorry, not our problem". But, from what I understand they've changed their attitude towards customer service since then.

Personally, I only collect hard signed auto's and don't care for GU cards. But, if I were someone who collected minor league cards or Game-used cards, then I might be interested in ITG products. It's all about what you want and enjoy. As far as whether ITG products will be worth more in the future - the best answer is; almost nothing will be worth more in the future. So just collect what makes you happy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast