Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Just in case anybody's wondering how the KHL can afford to pay guys ridiculous money, as there's rumours of a $20M per year deal looming for Kovalchuk...

After the fall of the Soviet Union a lot of top political officials embraced capitalism very quickly, and soon found themselves in high-end private sector positions of authority. Nomenklatura capitalism FTW!

Take a look at Alexander Medvedev's profile - started his career working for an elite Soviet political research centre, transferred to one of the state-owned mega-banks in 1989, got transferred to the oil industry shortly after 1991, and is now the Deputy Chairman of the Board of Executive Directors of Gazprom, one of the biggest organizations in the world. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that he was an undercover KGB agent, too.

Money isn't an issue for a man in that position. Oh, and he happens to be the President of the team that Kovalchuk played for during the lockout and presumably will be returning to, SKA St. Petersburg.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See cmbmlb's Items on eBay

KHL's VP of Hockey Operations on Kovalchuk's return to Russia: "For us the return of Kovalchuk is a shocking and a welcome news. I am asking not to criticize Ilya. He is Russian, he is coming home, and it is good. At this time Kovalchuk's contract has not been signed and has not been registered anywhere, therefore, the details of the contract in light of the salary cap should not be discussed. Everyone wins from Kovalchuk's return: Ilya himself, who came home; the club that is getting such a class player; plus it is a great move for the KHL in terms of marketing opportunities. And of course the fans, children, whose idol is coming home."

I feel bad for all the Devils fans who have spent their hard earned money on that team. SKA Saint Petersburg may hang a Captain C on his jersey, but he's no leader in my eyes.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See aspencer528's Items on eBay

I can see Lou lobbying the NHL not to lose the draft pick, and because its Lou I see the NHL giving him the last pick of the first round as kind of a happy medium. This is just an opinion. I don't think they are pissed about him walking away from a financial point, but the record with him in the lineup is much better then without him. So it will sting from an on ice level.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123