Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See prosserfan39's Items on eBay

SCF Super Collector Status Exceptions?

The problem with collecting a player who will likely never have a lot of cards in his career is that you can never get super collector status even if you do likely have the best collection of his in the world. That's my problem with Prosser. He hasn't had a card released since the 2010-11 card season. The most common card I have yet to get of his is serial numbered to /10 (YG Exclusives HG) and I have four of his 18 1/1s. What's more, I've met him twice in person, have autographed hat, photo and jersey of him, have gotten to know him, have had him on my radio show twice, text back and forth with him occasionally and consulted him before purchasing his rookie-year game-worn road Wild jersey on eBay earlier this month. I think my collection is very likely the best in the world. Are there any exceptions to the Super Collector requirements? Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks! - Dakota

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

With a player like that, no. If you read this article I penned a couple years back, you'll understand why:
    https://www.sportscardforum.com/artic...r-collector-2/

There's a key passage near the bottom of the article that reads:
    To ensure that there is a long-term aspect to the collection, we require that the player be in the NHL for at least three seasons. This ensures that we do not receive any “flavour of the month” rookie applications and that the player has a fairly decent amount of cards produced; the floor is set at 175 cards made. There is a large emphasis placed on the numbers in a collection, as it is required for the collector to provide a breakdown of the numbers of RCs, autos, memorabilia, and 1/1’s in the collection.

With all due respect to your player, a player that had only cards produced in his rookie year and has not even played a full season's worth of games is not somebody that would likely ever be considered for enshrinement. We acknowledge that it's not your fault he's not established himself as a full-time NHL player and/or that UD/Panini don't make many cards of him, but without that minimum requirement the Hall of Fame could be loaded with one-game wonders.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See prosserfan39's Items on eBay

With a player like that, no. If you read this article I penned a couple years back, you'll understand why:
    https://www.sportscardforum.com/artic...r-collector-2/

There's a key passage near the bottom of the article that reads:

With all due respect to your player, a player that had only cards produced in his rookie year and has not even played a full season's worth of games is not somebody that would likely ever be considered for enshrinement. We acknowledge that it's not your fault he's not established himself as a full-time NHL player and/or that UD/Panini don't make many cards of him, but without that minimum requirement the Hall of Fame could be loaded with one-game wonders.

Meh, it's enough to know I've likely got the best collection of him out there and I'll just keep working on the Brodin PC. That's one that I know will probably be attainable if I keep at it. Thanks, Richard.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm the same with Matt Corrente. Only card of him made after his rookie year was a year 2 SOTT (which is funny as his rookie in SPA was unsigned). Hopefully he sees some time in Carolina and at least starts to make sets like Score and OPC

SCF Rewards
    Country

I actually think I made the classification this year. I've yet to apply.

It's not always about the big names... I manage to "persuade" some Yip cards for the last 3 years to be placed in the products.

Create the noise and buzz about the player. They'll find their way into the product as long as their cards sell

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

When we created the requirement back then we had in mind that it be a exceptional accomplishment. This is why we had to make level entry. For instance here the stats from your player:
    All cards: 43
    All cards excluding all 1/1: 21
    Rookie: 5
    Autograph: 7
    Memorabilia: 0
    Serial: 34

Not even one memorabilia 7 AU, 5 RC only, 34 serial and 22 are 1/1. 43 cards in total. If you consider this player probably does not cost much to buy, it would be too easy to try to get the status.

More so if you compare it to other player like for instance I collect Carey Price, he has 2400+ cards I have 500 and 20% only of his cards. So I am not even close to get this status and never will. The BV for my 500 different cards come to 20,000$. I estimate I would need a good 50,000$ to buy cards to reach the SC status. So I know I never will and it that regard, we did not want it to make it too easy to obtain no matter what the player is. This is also why We ask for bigger percentage for players with less cards. We want this to be accomplishment, not something most member can reach for, but something that really stand out and where people say WOW!
    Hidden Content

I collect all Montreal Canadien. Hidden Content for player, teams you collect

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jimd2100's Items on eBay

So do you have to be a player or team collector to be a super collector? I, for example, only collect true rookie cards.

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

So do you have to be a player or team collector to be a super collector? I, for example, only collect true rookie cards.

Currently, this is all we support. Note that it's hard to come with parameter for what is a supper collector. Actually even team collector do not get recognition because the parameter are too often not realistic to reach. So only player collector get a status of recognition. This is why other type of collector are not look at because it's too hard to even define what would be needed as requirement. Remember that we need to have numbers to base a decision on and team or player collectors, are something easy to get. While we could get rookie numbers, it's way too large to come up with requirement.

For instance, in hockey we have 27,257. Now if I look at how many rookie I have, 2,400 rookie. But what would be a acceptable rookie percentage and we talk about all hockey rookie. Then if I meat this percentage are they only very low end rookie and would that still be enough. This is why we limit the program to players and teams. Also like I sais, in reality, we only have player collector that applies.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Currently, this is all we support. Note that it's hard to come with parameter for what is a supper collector. Actually even team collector do not get recognition because the parameter are too often not realistic to reach. So only player collector get a status of recognition. This is why other type of collector are not look at because it's too hard to even define what would be needed as requirement. Remember that we need to have numbers to base a decision on and team or player collectors, are something easy to get. While we could get rookie numbers, it's way too large to come up with requirement.

For instance, in hockey we have 27,257. Now if I look at how many rookie I have, 2,400 rookie. But what would be a acceptable rookie percentage and we talk about all hockey rookie. Then if I meat this percentage are they only very low end rookie and would that still be enough. This is why we limit the program to players and teams. Also like I sais, in reality, we only have player collector that applies.

Really? That sucks. I have been contemplating applying for a year or so now. Guess I can forget that.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

You can certainly still submit your application; I'd be happy to see it. We do have a page set up in the Super Collector Forums for team collectors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast