Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

shop owner offers thoughts before closing his doors

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice read, I remember when I first started using my allowance to buy cards (early 90's) there seemed to be a card shop on every corner. Now I can only think of two, in a city of 700 000 people.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See aspencer528's Items on eBay

Great read!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Sad....small business's, mom and pop owned, local and friendly rapport...can't compete with big corporate box stores who buy bulk, or internet suppliers, Ebay, etc with no overhead....
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Miami (FL) Hurricanes
    See Zuback's Items on eBay

It was a good article. Wrote from the heart and the head. I look back at the number of stores that have come and gone in my community. For him to be around of 30 years is a testament to him. It is true that ebay has had a major influence on the market. The idea of the $200-$300 packs has been developed for those who want to chase the winning of lottery ticket. In the end, there are not set collectors, just $$$ chasers. But, that is free enterprise. That is how the card companies, which are not different then automakers have a large selection as they want to cover everyone from the opc collectors to the cup. In the end the products are available and if people want to spend on what they want they can. The brick and morter stores are the ones that see the squeeze. However, not all are equal. I knew of one in my community, who is no longer in business, that would shill bid, weight boxes, etc. to ensure that he got the best of everything, but would sell the other boxes to those knowing full well what he was doing. In the end, he close the door, which is ironic for what he did. I wish there were more stores like this guy. But, as times change and people change, there will be fewer and fewer stores.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I just wish people still appreciated base cards. If I hear one more person say "They're only base cards," I'm gonna scream! Base cards are the meat and potatoes of card collecting. If you aren't in this hobby to collect all of the photos of your favorite player/team that you can possibly acquire, why are you in it? I know, packs are expensive now so people expect to hit a home run with every pack they bust but that is our own faults. If we weren't all screaming for game-used jock straps all the time, maybe the companies wouldn't over-indulge us and give us $400.00 packs of cards...

I'm a little tipsy so hopefully my rant makes sense to someone.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A great article for sure, but too many baseball references. I have no idea who those guys are, haha.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

I just wish people still appreciated base cards. If I hear one more person say "They're only base cards," I'm gonna scream! Base cards are the meat and potatoes of card collecting. If you aren't in this hobby to collect all of the photos of your favorite player/team that you can possibly acquire, why are you in it? I know, packs are expensive now so people expect to hit a home run with every pack they bust but that is our own faults. If we weren't all screaming for game-used jock straps all the time, maybe the companies wouldn't over-indulge us and give us $400.00 packs of cards...

I'm a little tipsy so hopefully my rant makes sense to someone.

A LOT of my collection is base cards and inserts, and up until last week I agreed with you 187%........... But then as I've been taking a long hard look at my collection and my finances and my life, I realize that if I had to move tomorrow, my PC would take 5 or 6 or 7 boxes and that's just crazy. It's not like the old days where you only needed 264 or 396 base cards for a year's worth of collecting............

I love the base cards, but it turns out I don't really care about Dominik Hasek or Paul Kariya or Avalanche Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur. It's a shame I won't see alot of return on them but at least I'll make some space :D