Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why Did I "Buy It Now"?

We all like to brag about our ebay 'steals", but try to hide our ebay goofs. Just curious about everyone's really bad purchases on ebay. Either you got caught up in a bidding war, or your fingers were faster than your brain hitting the "buy it now" button. I'll share mine. Last year, the day Forever Rivals was released I jumped all over a Doug Gilmour jersey /130. His Habs jerseys were few and far between and was just so excited to see one. About 2 minutes later, I realized..."Wait, I paid $20 for that?"

We all think we know what we're doing, but I know everyone has let emotion override common sense at least once or twice. I want to hear some other examples so I don't feel like such a goon.
    Collecting any and all Habs!

I had one a couple of weeks ago on a group break...more of a finger-fumble, but a mistake nonetheless. I was bidding team-by-team on a group break from one of my preferred sellers, so basically trying to snipe a good deal on one or more teams - which means I have no time to correct an error like bidding $520 on the Minnesota Wild instead of $5.20 as intended. Luckily, it only cost me a few bucks but I ended up paying close to $9 on them - and I didn't even get a hit! LOL
    LF this ITG Decades 1980's Autograph: AMM2 - Mark Messier CAN SP. Also need many Emblems and Numbers from ITG Decades 1980's and may need Quads, Golds or other low print runs from that set.
    PC includes Sakic, Vaive, Salming, Lafleur, Shutt and anyone named Stastny except Yan. Also buying Tokarski rookie year cards if priced right.

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    I bought an Eric Staal ITG GU Stick card for $10 because for some reason I thought it was low until the moment the auction ended.

Luckily, it was a nice card and I had someone to trade it with. All in all I basically broke even, but still...
    Patiently waiting for someone to bring back sax solos and keytars non ironically.

I've done it more than a few times....

Can't think of a specific time / price off the top of my head, but often when something low #ed is brand new, I've found that I paid 30% more for the first eBay copy than what the second goes for.

I paid a ridiculous amount for a pair of sheet-cut artist proofs, my bad for not reading the auction title / descrition carefully and missing the fact that these were not pack inserted The Cup black 1/1's.
    Hidden Content

Visit the home of the Daniel and Henrik Sedin Collection Hidden Content
    Most Wanted List
    Any Sedin 1/1 or game worn letter
    02-03 BAP Sig Series Team Quad TQ14 x/10

Collecting Lord Stanley's Mug - master set progress: 97.3%

10-11 Between the Pipes Masked Men Emerald /340, $40 each for 3 Bobrovskys ($120) and $25 each for 6 Howards ($150).

Sure I needed them for the redemption and I'm very happy to have completed the redemptions but that is still some serious money for an insert that in any other BTP release would sell for under $5. But to be fair I did sell a couple Carey Prices at $50 each to help lighten the low on my wallet. Even though I moved the Bob PC, that redemption masked men card is and always will reside in my collection.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Red Wings Past Present and Future!

This one still irks me.

A borderline scam. I thought I was getting a steal until it came and was obviously a reprint worth $5, I gave it to my son to mangle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181142598710

The seller told me he was poor and spent the $25 on food for his family. No wonder. Block this seller. Buyer beware I guess.
    Looking For:
    1) Anything from my small wantlist Hidden Content
    2) Any SPA FWAs, Ultimate AU RCs, and RCs/inserts from Hidden Content
    3) Autos of select players (w/o jerseys or patches, vertical cards)
    4) Comparable Young Guns/RCs

Quote Originally Posted by MattDMC View Post
    10-11 Between the Pipes Masked Men Emerald /340, $40 each for 3 Bobrovskys ($120) and $25 each for 6 Howards ($150).

Sure I needed them for the redemption and I'm very happy to have completed the redemptions but that is still some serious money for an insert that in any other BTP release would sell for under $5. But to be fair I did sell a couple Carey Prices at $50 each to help lighten the low on my wallet. Even though I moved the Bob PC, that redemption masked men card is and always will reside in my collection.
    Man those things were going for crazy money. When they first announced the program I jumped on every copy out there I could find. Usually was able to get them under $10 but one or two probably went closer to $15. I know that when I posted my redeemed card that sparked something of a fury. LOL

--------------------------------------------------------

The only time I've probably badly overpaid for some stuff would be a few of the Gorges cards that hit the market in the past year. Stuff that I thought would be pretty scarce and all that, but recalling the headache of 08-09 OPC Retro Blank Back I wanted to ensure that I got the first one out there.
    Carey Price fan and collector!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 201 Unique Cards + 8 1/1's!!!

Also collecting: Subban, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, and many retired legends!

I loved that time...I as selling those (sorry MattDMC) pretty high....and the Miller's I collected weren't going for that much. I may have overpaid for a few Miller's, but the redemption I got was worth it (only 4 were redeemed)!
    Quote Originally Posted by RGM81 View Post
    Man those things were going for crazy money. When they first announced the program I jumped on every copy out there I could find. Usually was able to get them under $10 but one or two probably went closer to $15. I know that when I posted my redeemed card that sparked something of a fury. LOL

--------------------------------------------------------

The only time I've probably badly overpaid for some stuff would be a few of the Gorges cards that hit the market in the past year. Stuff that I thought would be pretty scarce and all that, but recalling the headache of 08-09 OPC Retro Blank Back I wanted to ensure that I got the first one out there.
    Hidden Content

My Bucket: is empty

when score came out this year I didnt put any research into print run at all. First day they were on ebay saw 2 bobby ryan blacks, one for $25 and one for $15. Jumped all over the $15 as I have had a hard time finding his previous years blacks. of course the next day I saw another 4 or 5 on the bay for as low as $3......of course the blacks arent a SP this year and I got hosed....100% my laziness :(
    Bobby Ryan PC 639/772 82.77
    ITG 50/82 60.97%
    1/1's and Plates 13
    My PC on Facebook:
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast