New football collector :)

Hey everyone, just wanted to make a thread over here and say hello, my wife and I have been long time hockey collectors, we sold a lot of our collection awhile back to help pay for some medical bills for our kids, so in a sense we are coming back to the hobby in general, but this is the first time we are doing anything more than hockey. Anyways I am a huge Panthers fan and plan to collect the team with more focus towards Deangelo Williams & Steve Smith. I am open to trade hockey for football or football for hockey so not to picky on the trading side of things. Any tips on what brands to buy/stay away from? Or any major differences from hockey? I know the biggest one I have noticed is that Topps is still around for football, thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings : ) See you around.

Shane & Sarah
    Colorado Avalanche & MinnesotaWild
    Main player PC's
    Marek Svatos (143), Milan Hejduk (586), Tyson Barrie (19), Sandis Ozolinsh (319) Jason Pominville (135), Josh Harding (33) & Mikael Granlund(16)
    Our Hidden Content through TTTS Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome

if u ever decide to buy retail stay away from panini.
    Trade bucket
    Hidden Content

Look out for Topps Chrome coming out in November, it's the arguably the best product to invest money in, the best product for resale or trading collectors love chrome! you kind of missed the boat on Bowman 2013, but it's a fun product to bust and there's a lot of nice colored parallels, prices are pretty inflated now though.

A good Panini product is Prizm I think they make a hockey version of it pretty much the same thing, it's basically Panini's version of chrome. As always just check out breaks in the the product break fourm and see what you like!
    Main PC: Broncos/Montee Ball/Chris Borland/ Mike Glennon
    Looking for Fleer Retro(or older Metal) Metal Universe/GEMS Cards

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content /Hidden Content

Thanks for the tips! I try to stay away from retail almost completely unless its a clearance deal thats just to good to pass up or something, and I for one am a big fan of parallels so chrome sounds like a good product, i used to love the hockey chrome back in the day
    Main player PC's
    Marek Svatos (143), Milan Hejduk (586), Tyson Barrie (19), Sandis Ozolinsh (319) Jason Pominville (135), Josh Harding (33) & Mikael Granlund(16)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyner77 View Post
    Thanks for the tips! I try to stay away from retail almost completely unless its a clearance deal thats just to good to pass up or something, and I for one am a big fan of parallels so chrome sounds like a good product, i used to love the hockey chrome back in the day
    Yeah Chrome is great lot's of parallels both in hobby and retail, which is why I love it. If your a fan of parallels a box of Hobby Jumbo 2013 topps will land you 10 parallels 2 auto's one rookie relic and a bunch of rookies and inserts!
    Main PC: Broncos/Montee Ball/Chris Borland/ Mike Glennon
    Looking for Fleer Retro(or older Metal) Metal Universe/GEMS Cards

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content /Hidden Content

Welcome to football! The Panthers are a good choice to collect as there aren't a whole lot of collectors of them that I have seen and Steve Smith cards are very reasonable to buy and easy to trade for. My guess is if you put out a request for him you will have people lined up with cards of him for trade. Pretty much the same with DeAngelo Williams.

I agree with everyone else, avoid retail and Topps Chrome is a good choice. I live in an area that is totally void of hobby shops and occasional submit to the need to bust packs and buy retail...I always regret it.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    "Amidst the uncertainties of war, every soldier is entitled to one certainty...that he will not be forgotten.
    Poor is the nation that has no heroes, shameful is the one that, having them...forgets."

I have been a Panthers fan since they came into the league, and with these last few years of doing fantasy football I have really started to get into football so I figured I would expand my collection as well! I will sometimes buy retail and also usually regret it, the only hobby shop close to me is very overpriced, so I am sure I will be ordering some boxes from Dave & Adams soon :)
    Main player PC's

only buy topps chrome retail. Its worth it. Stick to hobby on the rest. Topps finest this year is pretty nice. Might try a box of that and see what you think. I wouldn't put much money in panini or upper deck until panini prizm comes out. Topps just came out and is fun and inexpensive while chrome is top of the class with what you're looking for. Panini elite has been pretty decent this year. Just a few now and later ideas
    pc is spectra spectra spectra

Quote Originally Posted by player fly View Post
    if u ever decide to buy retail stay away from panini.
    Agree 100%
    Miami Dolphins and Marlins Collector

Panini Contenders is a cool product. It is loaded with a lot of rookies from that years draft class. Those autographed rookies are usually considered the best for just about every player. The hobby boxes usually have 5 auto per box so its fun to break.
    Miami Dolphins and Marlins Collector