What's O-Pee Chee?

Hi, can someone please explain to me what the story is with O-Pee Chee? I looked it up but I still would like to know why they look exactly like Topps? I was going through my 1978 Topps set and realized that some of them were NOT Topps but O-Pee Chee instead. I pulled them and will probably list then in the trade forum.

O-Pee-Chee was the French (Canada) version on Topps
    Right now looking to sell my inventory so I can get new stuff
    Hidden Content Please NO PayPal Gift

Basically they were a company from Canada that Topps teamed up with to make cards. Hence why they are basically the same looking as the Topps cards. Oddly enough I think Upper Deck owns the naming rights to OPeeChee now since they released a few sets under that name in America a few years back.
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Ok. Thanks for the reply, guys. I knew of the brand I just didn't understand why they made them look exactly like Topps. Seems kinda pointless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blove View Post
    Ok. Thanks for the reply, guys. I knew of the brand I just didn't understand why they made them look exactly like Topps. Seems kinda pointless to me.
    It kinda was but Topps sold to the US and OPeeChee was sold in Canada. Before the Internet it was pretty hard to complete older sets of OPC for many people in the United States. Besides the difficulty in getting something that was sold almost exclusively in another country the OPC sets usually had much smaller print runs than their Topps counterparts (in baseball I don't know about the other sports).
    Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Ah! Now that makes sense. Thanks so much for clearing it up for me. My 1978's are my original collection. When I completed the set years ago I must have bought some O Pee Chee without realizing. I went through the set recently and noticed it then. I think I will putt then for trade and replace them with Topps. Thanks again.

A.J.