Has free agent fun come to an end with all the stars re-signing before becoming UFAs?

Looking at the roster of potential unrestricted free agents this summer, a veritable treasure trove of big names could be available. Except they won’t, because if recent history is any indicator, most of those players will sign extensions long before their rights come up.
    Joe Thornton, Henrik Lundqvist and Dion Phaneuf are all technically eligible, but the chances of them hitting the open market are slim.
    “There’s less people in the pool,” said Phoenix Coyotes assistant GM Brad Treliving. “You just know from now to July a significant amount of guys will re-sign with their own teams.”

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ha...daily_20131125
    Hidden Content
    Actions are backed up by words, I wish more of us backed them up!!!
    If you have talent with video editing and would like to join the staff drop me a pm!
    Want to see my tradelist type in doniceage under the Hidden Content .

In the past few years, when was the last time a legitimate big-name star in his prime went to free agency anyways? Aside from Brad Richards I can't think of many. There have been good players getting big money (Drury, Briere, Gomez, Ribeiro, etc.) and players past their primes getting big contracts (Lecavalier, Gonchar, Sundin). I could be wrong, but I honestly don't recall any huge names going to free agency other than Richards. And after his playoff performance last year, he almost got bought out anyways.
    Last edited by cygnusx1; 11-25-2013 at 03:34 PM.

The way it is now, it will be a very rare occurrence to see elite players jumping from team-to-team. You'll still see very good players on the move on UFA Day, and sure there will be the occasional blockbuster trade, but the way the CBA has been set up now it allows teams & players who have a mutually strong relationship to make a long-term commitment to one another as cornerstones of a club.
    Carey Price fan and collector - want your hard-signed autos!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 195 Unique Cards + 8 1/1's!!!

A change for the better...
    Main PC: Yzerman, Zetterberg, Draper, McCarty, Maltby, Kocur (the grind line)
    SetPC: Motown Madness
    Hidden Content || Hidden Content

Whatever happened to Drury, left the Av's for big $$ and his "skills" vanished, oh nevermind, remember he went to the Ranger's, talk about a mismatch is styles...
    Trouba/# Star RC's/Current star Bruin's/Ovy/Selanne/Eye Candy

KEEP CALM and BERGERON.

Bucket: Hidden Content

There will still be "fun" aka dead air time on the free agency frenzy shows.

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyes View Post
    Whatever happened to Drury, left the Av's for big $$ and his "skills" vanished, oh nevermind, remember he went to the Ranger's, talk about a mismatch is styles...
    Technically, he left the Sabres for the Rags. He had been traded a couple times in the years before his NY signing.
    PC: ITG/The Cup/Masterpieces/Canada Theoren Fleury, Colin Wilson YGs/RCs, Mike Murphy (BTP + YG excl.), 08/09 BD GUJ K. Lehtonen, 06/07 H+P Gloves B. Comeau, K Ramo RCs, E. Etem #'d RCs, Artifacts Team Canada /299

Hidden Content - Tagged by player/team

Country
    Card Cash
    Savings
    Transferred Feedback
    (75) Hobby Insider

View my Inventory New
    View my store Beta
    King Henrik will re-sign with the Rangers.
    Joe Thornton likes it in San Jose, so expect him to sign too.
    Dion Phaneuf, I think the Leafs will be happy to see him go, he's not the player he was a couple of years ago, and would you pay him 6.5 M again, not likely, he cost the Leafs the series last year with the Bruins.