Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I think you will see a lot of talent jump ship to Sportsnet. However, I would suspect that as part of the deal, you will see the CBC announcers doing Sportsnet games.

As well, something that has yet to be mentioned. Rogers and Bell both own MLSE. Rogers now has the boradcasting rights in Canada. I think this may result in a VERY heavy influence of Leafs games for "National" games.

That is truly the game-changer in all of this. It was so rare to see the Leafs on Saturday nights before this deal. LOL
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

Leafs are the biggest draw in the country, bring in the most advertising interest, therefor they will be shown the most. Same reason CBC has been doing it.

One thing that worries me is the Center Ice package. As a Bell subscriber what are the chances Rogers let's Bell carry the package after this season? If Bell does keep it will Rogers drive the price up?

The way my current dish package is set up it would cost me a pretty penny to get another sports package to get Sportsnet. I fought the urge to do it this past summer because Rogers has a complete monopoly on Jays games and I really wanted to watch them, but if they start pulling the same BS and hog all the Leafs games I may not have much choice but to give in.

Every fan is going to get kicked in the nads to some degree thanks to this deal. Rogers is really good at controlling content and making you pay for the premium stuff.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

I have the complete opposite view as you do, Sean, because of where we are and who we cheer for. This deal works out well for people like yourself (an Oilers fan living in southwestern Ontario - nearish to Toronto) or mikecole141 (conversely, a Leaf fan living in Alberta - nearish to Edmonton). Previously, you guys had to endure plenty of regional blackouts, I'm sure, while being denied the chance to watch the team you cheer for play, and be force-fed the team in your region whom you don't cheer for. This deal works to remove those regional blackouts for fans like yourself. I'm sure that just being able to watch your team versus not is a much greater step up than my upcoming rant here that outlines why this is a step down for me. I've never been unable to watch my team play, regardless of circumstances... well, that might be because I'm a Leafs TV subscriber, so I do make the most of the opportunities I'm given, whereas you guys don't even have that choice. But, even for Leaf fans who choose not to order Leafs TV, they're only missing a handful of games, far fewer than I'd guess Sean or Mike would be missing due to local blackouts. Before I get into why this disappoints me, I will acknowledge that one positive that I can take away from this new deal will be heightened opportunities to watch games online. It remains to be seen what kind of new online opportunities will be created, but I am under the impression that more games will be more available online.. and I take that to mean potentially streamed for free, rather than through pay-to-watch services.

I am a Leafs fan living in the Toronto area. I am already completely overwhelmed and inundated with Leafs-related media on a daily basis. There is no possible way that my Leafs coverage could be improved upon in any way, save for online opportunities, but even then, I'm usually watching the game on tv, except when I'm away from the house, and it is rare that I am away during a Leaf game (and not at a friend's place or bar watching it there). For a fan like myself, not effected by regional blackouts and who doesn't have any interest in watching national broadcasts of games that feature teams that are not my own (and if there was interest, the other Canadian teams would not necessarily be it), this mostly means getting used to crappier production values and much crappier tv personalities and analysts. It means a lot less Bob McKenzie, James Duthie, Darren Dreger, Aaron Ward, et al., and a lot more Nick Kypreos, Doug MacLean, Darren Millard, and a bevy of awkward recent college grads cutting their teeth in the industry. The quality of the coverage I get will take a step down. The way that Rogers will align things so that I will one day have no choice but to add Sportsnet One for the occasional Leaf game while enduring radio on tv and soccer for the rest of the time will become a reality in the near future, I'm sure. I had a lot more to rant about but I started this several hours ago and then had to do some things before coming back and finishing up here. If you're a fan of a team that is not that of the city in which you live, you'll be happy with this deal. If you want an environment more like the NFL where you will have multiple games on multiple channels at once to choose from, you will like this deal. If you really only watch your team and want the best coverage possible... I just think TSN is superior in just about every way. Seriously, I think I could step in and be the best analyst that Sportsnet would have. Right now. #bitter

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Leafs are the biggest draw in the country, bring in the most advertising interest, therefor they will be shown the most. Same reason CBC has been doing it.

One thing that worries me is the Center Ice package. As a Bell subscriber what are the chances Rogers let's Bell carry the package after this season? If Bell does keep it will Rogers drive the price up?

The way my current dish package is set up it would cost me a pretty penny to get another sports package to get Sportsnet. I fought the urge to do it this past summer because Rogers has a complete monopoly on Jays games and I really wanted to watch them, but if they start pulling the same BS and hog all the Leafs games I may not have much choice but to give in.

Every fan is going to get kicked in the nads to some degree thanks to this deal. Rogers is really good at controlling content and making you pay for the premium stuff.

Saskatchewan Roughriders.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See theofleury14's Items on eBay

This is humongous big.

More Nick Kyperos, Bill Watters, and John Garrett?.. I'm going to cry.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I do hear what you're saying. Truth is - if you want to watch "in market" teams, the coverage (I'm sure anywhere in Canada) is already fantastic. The change here, likely, is negative.... if for no other reason that there will be less compitition, but I suspect in the coming months - some of your concerns are going to be mittigated:

I'll first state that my own preferences: I watch FAR more Sportsnet than I do TSN. The 'why' is really simple. Once upon a time it was the oposite, and then Jay Onrait (and to a lesser extend Dan O'Toole) became a main guy. Drove me to switch networks. I realzie he's long gone from TSN now.... but hard to adjust my viewing habbits, when I don't mind the guys I see right now (I really like Kypreos & Millard.... and McLean is growing on me).

Duthie, Dreger, Ward, Ferraro, and Miller are all going to end up as Sportsnet employees. Maybe Ferraro goes south of the boarder... but Duthie & Dreger, in particular, will have to make the jump. Bob McKenzie - he'll stay put, still do hockey talk, just not games.

Sportsnet now has to make new teams of people for National Broadcasts, and they're going to have to aquire new talent to do it. That's going to mean bringing CBC & TSN guys into the fold, while (hopefully) getting rid of the dead weight.

Also, if this means we get to see more of Eliott Friedman - it's a huge win for us. As far as I'm concerned, he's the best hockey guy on TV right now, from any of the Canadian networks.

What exactly Rogers does with the games / what channels they put 'em on - that will be interesting. I would imagine you're going to see all Leaf games on a combination of CBC / Sportsnet / LeafsTV (and that will be it). Sportsnet One will get used for premium (but out of market) games... and their other channels will let them do something like this:

Let's pretend it's a Wednesday night....

Sportsnet - Whatever you normal "in market" game is
    Sportsnet Ontario - Leafs / Sens
    Sportsnet East - Habs / Bruins
    Sportsnet West - Flames / Oilers / Jets
    Sportsnet Pacific - Cancuks / California Teams
    Sportsnet One - Pittsburgh / Rangers / Red Wings
    360 / World - Won't Show it.

If you're in the Toronto market.... you'll get the Leafs game on Sportsnet anyway, even if you've got a package with only the single SN channel. You'll get the Habs game if you're out East, Oilers in the West, Canucks if you're in Pacific, etc. If you've paid for a package with the extra channels - you'll have more access to games.

At least that's the impression I got.

I just can't see them making the "local" game too hard to get (i.e. need a bigger package with more channels) becuase the advertising dollars while they've got a far reaching platform are far too valuable. That's why the CBC is still going to be showing (at least) another 4 years of HNIC. They can reach MANY more households than Sportsnet can. Sportsnet gives them the content, and sells the adds.... CBC gets to use it to keep people thinking their station is relevent.

I have the complete opposite view as you do, Sean, because of where we are and who we cheer for. This deal works out well for people like yourself (an Oilers fan living in southwestern Ontario - nearish to Toronto) or mikecole141 (conversely, a Leaf fan living in Alberta - nearish to Edmonton). Previously, you guys had to endure plenty of regional blackouts, I'm sure, while being denied the chance to watch the team you cheer for play, and be force-fed the team in your region whom you don't cheer for. This deal works to remove those regional blackouts for fans like yourself. I'm sure that just being able to watch your team versus not is a much greater step up than my upcoming rant here that outlines why this is a step down for me. I've never been unable to watch my team play, regardless of circumstances... well, that might be because I'm a Leafs TV subscriber, so I do make the most of the opportunities I'm given, whereas you guys don't even have that choice. But, even for Leaf fans who choose not to order Leafs TV, they're only missing a handful of games, far fewer than I'd guess Sean or Mike would be missing due to local blackouts. Before I get into why this disappoints me, I will acknowledge that one positive that I can take away from this new deal will be heightened opportunities to watch games online. It remains to be seen what kind of new online opportunities will be created, but I am under the impression that more games will be more available online.. and I take that to mean potentially streamed for free, rather than through pay-to-watch services.

I am a Leafs fan living in the Toronto area. I am already completely overwhelmed and inundated with Leafs-related media on a daily basis. There is no possible way that my Leafs coverage could be improved upon in any way, save for online opportunities, but even then, I'm usually watching the game on tv, except when I'm away from the house, and it is rare that I am away during a Leaf game (and not at a friend's place or bar watching it there). For a fan like myself, not effected by regional blackouts and who doesn't have any interest in watching national broadcasts of games that feature teams that are not my own (and if there was interest, the other Canadian teams would not necessarily be it), this mostly means getting used to crappier production values and much crappier tv personalities and analysts. It means a lot less Bob McKenzie, James Duthie, Darren Dreger, Aaron Ward, et al., and a lot more Nick Kypreos, Doug MacLean, Darren Millard, and a bevy of awkward recent college grads cutting their teeth in the industry. The quality of the coverage I get will take a step down. The way that Rogers will align things so that I will one day have no choice but to add Sportsnet One for the occasional Leaf game while enduring radio on tv and soccer for the rest of the time will become a reality in the near future, I'm sure. I had a lot more to rant about but I started this several hours ago and then had to do some things before coming back and finishing up here. If you're a fan of a team that is not that of the city in which you live, you'll be happy with this deal. If you want an environment more like the NFL where you will have multiple games on multiple channels at once to choose from, you will like this deal. If you really only watch your team and want the best coverage possible... I just think TSN is superior in just about every way. Seriously, I think I could step in and be the best analyst that Sportsnet would have. Right now. #bitter

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See BruHawk's Items on eBay

I think you will see games on Sportsnet 360 as well. This deal is basically going to make Center Ice obsolete for Canadian viewers (with Rogers).

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Irrelevant in a hockey discussion.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (75) Hobby Insider
    Country

Bye Bye Don Cherry.

New Project Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    See coolhandluke907's Items on eBay

The downsize for us Habs fans to this is that we have to listen to insufferable homers like the Senators Sportsnet feed team. Those guys are brutal, no ounce of objectivity.

I'm disappointed that TSN is out of the hockey broadcast business after this year. They are far and away the most professional and most polished team out there. The draft show, the UFA day, the trade deadline day - those events were built by TSN into really national day events. LOL But yes, let's show more PJ Stock and Doug MacLean.

For the French fan, TVA sport is not on everyone package, so some may have to pay to get the channel. But being with Videotron (owned by the same group as TVA), we got the channel for free since they wanted to start the channel with subscriber last year. But there is still 60 games that are not yet known who will broadcast them. Probably a chance for RDS to stay in the game. They said this need to be negotiated directly with the Montreal Canadien. So not sure it will be TVA. Also they are planning for a TVA Sports 2 already due to the deal. If RDS does not get the 60 other match and TVA get them all, it will mean rough time for RDS. But I am pretty sure the 60 matchs will be broadcast in French. To much money to make for a French sport network.
    Hidden Content

I collect all Montreal Canadien. Hidden Content for player, teams you collect

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast